CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Where can I get a new or rebuilt wiring harnesses for our cars (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/where-can-i-get-new-rebuilt-wiring-harnesses-our-cars-887259/)

87Aerocoupe 02-17-2019 11:35 AM

Where can I get a new or rebuilt wiring harnesses for our cars

Hey guys our cars are now 20+ years old or older and the factory wiring on our cars are becoming brittle and unreliable and my question is does anyone make new replacement wiring harnesses or rebuild our factory ones?

I have a 94 Z28 and a 97 SS Camaro and I want to ensure no issues for another 20+ years so any help you guys can provide would be great.

Back in the day I had a 73 Z28 that the previous owner had hacked up and cut the factory harness so I brought a "Painless Muscle Car" complete wiring harness and rewired the whole car from bumper to bumper.

Phoenix'97 02-17-2019 09:59 PM

Re: Where can I get a new or rebuilt wiring harnesses for our cars

I was only able to find one business that can build you a brand spanking new direct-fit plug-and-play wire harness! I may have to use these guys when I get my engine overhauled in the next several years!

Direct-Fit Custom GM LSx/Vortec/LTx Engine Wiring Harness - CPW | LSX Harness | LSX Swap Harness | LSX Wiring | LS1 | LS2 | LS3 | LS6 | LS7 | LSA | LS9 | LT1 | Vortec | Gen V | 4.8 | 5.3 | 6.0 | 6.2 | 24x | 58xCPW | LSX Harness | LSX Swap Harness | L

Otherwise you have plenty of stand-alone wire harnesses that are not direct-fit plug-and-play.

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/60502

94-97 LT1 / LT4 Stand Alone Engine Harness - CPW | LSX Harness | LSX Swap Harness | LSX Wiring | LS1 | LS2 | LS3 | LS6 | LS7 | LSA | LS9 | LT1 | Vortec | Gen V | 4.8 | 5.3 | 6.0 | 6.2 | 24x | 58xCPW | LSX Harness | LSX Swap Harness | LSX Wiring | LS1

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ess,46371.html

https://www.psiconversion.com/produc...esses/lt1-lt4/

87Aerocoupe 03-02-2019 09:39 AM

Thnks Phoenix 97.

Phoenix'97 03-02-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 87Aerocoupe (Post 7002019)
Thnks Phoenix 97.

That is why I comment on these forums. You are welcome.

David94TA 03-25-2019 02:16 PM

I e-mailed that first place (Direct-Fit Custom GM LSx/Vortec/LTx Engine Wiring Harness - CPW | LSX Harness | LSX Swap Harness | LSX Wiring | LS1 | LS2 | LS3 | LS6 | LS7 | LSA | LS9 | LT1 | Vortec | Gen V | 4.8 | 5.3 | 6.0 | 6.2 | 24x | 58xCPW | LSX Harness | LSX Swap Harness | L) and they said they only did LS and Vortec applications. Their website says that they do LT, but they told me otherwise both on the telephone and e-mail.

Any other suggestions for a direct fit replacement?

Phoenix'97 03-25-2019 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by David94TA (Post 7002254)
I e-mailed that first place (Direct-Fit Custom GM LSx/Vortec/LTx Engine Wiring Harness - CPW | LSX Harness | LSX Swap Harness | LSX Wiring | LS1 | LS2 | LS3 | LS6 | LS7 | LSA | LS9 | LT1 | Vortec | Gen V | 4.8 | 5.3 | 6.0 | 6.2 | 24x | 58xCPW | LSX Harness | LSX Swap Harness | L) and they said they only did LS and Vortec applications. Their website says that they do LT, but they told me otherwise both on the telephone and e-mail.

Any other suggestions for a direct fit replacement?

I would press the representative you talked to about this issue. Their website is selling a product they don't offer! You are not asking for a wiring harness to the new 2014 6.2L LT1 but the 5.7L 1993-1997 Camaro/Firebird LT1! As per their website!

Quote:
Vehicles we offer LSx, LT/Vortec Direct fit harnesses for:
  • 1994-1996 Chevy Impala, Caprice, Roadmaster * – Starting at $975
  • 1990-2007 Chevy/GMC Silverado / Sierra, Suburban, Tahoe / Yukon) (1500,2500,3500,Diesel)* – Starting at $975
  • 1985-1996 Chevy Corvette * – Starting at $975
  • Spoiler

• 2004-newer 1st and 2nd gen Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon – Starting at $925
  • 2005-2010 Hummer H3 *- Starting at $925
Our Direct-Fit custom wiring harnesses are plug-and-play, custom built, and designed specifically for your project utilizing a 94-97 LT1/4 or 97-up LSx or Vortec small block.

There is nothing stated that they don't offer the 5.7 LT1 wiring harness despite the fact that they DO offer a standalone wiring harness! I think I will pester this company too and send them an e-mail because I smell B.S.

David94TA 03-25-2019 09:06 PM

Well, what's strange is that I initially contacted them by e-mail and explained that I have a 94 Trans Am (LT1) and was wanting an OEM replacement harness, plug and play. Their response was that yes, they could do that and to call them to order. When I called to order, I was told that they only do LS and Vortec. Thinking that I might have just gotten someone who didn't know, I e-mailed them again, explained what I had been told and asked if that was correct. The return e-mail said that yes, that was correct--only LS and Vortec engines. And I agree with you--from what I read on their website, they build the harnesses for our cars. I guess if they don't do it, they don't do it. But update the website!

I originally ordered a harness from Painless, but that turned out to be stand alone like you would be putting an LT1 into something else. It did not have the section going through the firewall to connect to the dash, etc. I would hate to pay $800 for a harness only to have to start hacking it up and splicing. How would you know what connectors to get anyway?

Phoenix'97 03-26-2019 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by David94TA (Post 7002260)
Well, what's strange is that I initially contacted them by e-mail and explained that I have a 94 Trans Am (LT1) and was wanting an OEM replacement harness, plug and play. Their response was that yes, they could do that and to call them to order. When I called to order, I was told that they only do LS and Vortec. Thinking that I might have just gotten someone who didn't know, I e-mailed them again, explained what I had been told and asked if that was correct. The return e-mail said that yes, that was correct--only LS and Vortec engines. And I agree with you--from what I read on their website, they build the harnesses for our cars. I guess if they don't do it, they don't do it. But update the website!

I originally ordered a harness from Painless, but that turned out to be stand alone like you would be putting an LT1 into something else. It did not have the section going through the firewall to connect to the dash, etc. I would hate to pay $800 for a harness only to have to start hacking it up and splicing. How would you know what connectors to get anyway?

I am waiting for them to respond to my e-mail! Honestly, the last resort would be to check out a custom shop! I have watched plenty of them on MotorTrend TV to witness them remake entire harnesses for cars, especially upgrading electrical systems on very old classics! I would give them a call and find out if they would be willing fabricate new and improved OEM quality engine harnesses for you and whether they would need your originals for comparison or to recycle parts no longer made. To a normal shop trying to make money on surplus product they won't make money on custom work, however for the extra money a custom shop will do it because they specialize in custom jobs and they even do odd jobs as well so this would be perfect for them!

Phoenix'97 03-26-2019 11:38 AM

@David94TA
UPDATE:

Quoting e-mails.

"We do not have the layout of a factory OE harness, nor the clips and attachment points that are often on an OE harness.
We build wiring for the engines that have fuse boxes on them so they can run in a street rod or something of that nature, and do not always have the body connections to make a harness that plugs and fits in to a stock production vehicle."

Jared
Current Performance Wiring

Me:"Would having the original engine wiring harness to compare to help any?"

"Possibly.
Lead time would be around 8-10 weeks to get it through production."

Jared
Current Performance Wiring

Me:"I will let him know. Thank you!"

Is this something you would entertain? If it means you end up with a brand spanking new, and upgraded, OEM style engine harness that is direct-fit plug-and-play, then why not?! It is something I will want to have done on my car when I am ready to have her resto-modded in the future.

David94TA 03-26-2019 11:46 AM

OK, thanks.

David94TA 03-27-2019 04:54 PM

Talked to these guys today: https://www.bp-automotive.com/contact/

They said they will build a replacement LT1 harness--OEM direct plug and play. I went ahead and ordered, so we will see. I'll let you all know what happens.

They said 8-10 weeks.

cardo0 03-27-2019 08:55 PM

Thx for posting that connection. Hope to hear your review.

cardo0 04-14-2019 06:06 PM

So I came across Howell Engineering today and see they advertise a "94 through "97 camaro engine harness. I think it is a stock replacement though they show options fo emissions and the number of fans. Take a look: https://howellefi.com/product/lt1-ha...mission-4l60e/

Phoenix'97 04-14-2019 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by cardo0 (Post 7002453)
So I came across Howell Engineering today and see they advertise a "94 through "97 camaro engine harness. I think it is a stock replacement though they show options fo emissions and the number of fans. Take a look: https://howellefi.com/product/lt1-ha...mission-4l60e/

The thing that bothers me about this site, they specialize in hot rods, street rods and four wheel drive. The harness also looks like it is just a standalone harness as opposed to a direct plug-and-play reproduced and improved factory complete wiring harness!

Injuneer 04-15-2019 09:25 AM

Compare the Howell photo to Shoebox's OEM harness photo. Then decide.

1995 Z28 A4 Engine Harness

Howell from my experience, going back to1994 when I bought my Formula, has proven to be very knowledgeable and experienced with the 3rd Gen, and then the 4th Gen F-Bodys. I learned an awful lot about the engine management of the LT1 from their fuel injection manual.