LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Looking for comments on my future setup...

Old 05-31-2004, 04:55 PM

Looking for comments on my future setup...

I've got big plans for my car this summer and I was just wondering if I could get some opinions on what I plan to do. For starters my car is a basically stock 1994 Z28 6-speed with about 53,000 miles. Keep in mind there are no emissions checks up here.

What I would like to do:
-put in the XE 230/236 cam I purchased from cmotorsports along with the comp 1.6rr's (7/16" rocker arm studs), comp "R" lifters, 612 valvesprings, hardened pushrods, etc. I'm also replacing the timing chain with a stock replacement.

-to complement the cam I will also have some mild porting done on my stock heads (stock valves).I would really like a set of better-flowing aftermarket heads but I have a feeling I will be running really low on funds with this project so I'm afraid this is the best I'm going to be able to do for now.

-for exhaust, I've got hooker lt's (ceramic coated) going into a muflex offroad Y-pipe and an exhaust cutout. Also along with the longtubes I will be changing the plugs/wires(taylor OTVC)/o2 sensors since they are all the original ones still in there. Egr system, air pump, and A/C will be removed also.

-induction I've got the SLP intake, 1LE elbow, and will probably port stock TB to 52 mm, if it's recommended.

-As for fuel delivery, since I will probably be making significantly more power than stock, the 24# injectors will probably be reaching their limits so I thought I would upgrade to 30# injectors.

-For programming & tuning the setup I will probably contact Brian @ PCMforless.com for a mail order tune. I would like a dyno tune, but again, I'm on a bit of a budget.

Also I would like to know if it's ok to just throw on all of this stuff all at once or would it be a better idea to spread out the mods a little bit to give my car some time to get used to the new power. However the point of doing this all at once is to save time and money.

Any comment/criticism would be greatly appreciated. I know many people have already done this before so maybe there are some things I haven't thought about which I should be considering before I get started.

Thank you.

Last edited by MTL_Z28; 06-02-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:03 PM

The thing I'm the most concerned about is the timing set. Am I ok with a stock replacement chain or should I take the opportunity to upgrade the whole timing set to say an LT4 extreme? Although I remember reading that it would require me to switch to vented opti, so I don't know if it's worth it.

Any comments would help alot.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:19 PM

Do it all at once,
It saves you time and money.
Unless you like to waste money and dyno every mod individually.
I have plenty of friends like this, they could've bought a dyno for themselves already.

All in all, it sounds like a good package.
As for your timing chain question, as soon as I tell you I know several people running stock replacment chain setups on similar packages, you'll go out and break one.
Yes you can do it, but there is a better answer, especially if you're going to keep throwing power on the motor.
LT4 Xtreme Duty is pricey, but a good setup.
The double roller that Combo offers and the Cloyes unit are both great and extremely reliable.
Yes you have to run an electric wp, but you can get into a Double roller and electric wp for the same price as the xtreme duty set.
In the least, get a new stock timing set.
In the very least, get a new stock chain.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:53 PM

Ok so as far as timing sets I guess my choices are either:

1- upgrade to the LT4 HD but then I must upgrade to vented optispark

2- upgrade to the cloyes double roller timing set but then I must upgrade to electric waterpump

3- use stock replacememnt chain; which I think I will do because first of all my car doesn't have that many miles on it, and second, the previous owner had replaced the opti & waterpump 2 years befopre selling it to me.

I guess I will upgrade the timing set when I get a setup that is more extreme in terms of power and that I will maybe rev higher.

Also I was wondering if it was really necessary to get a bigger throttle body. It looks like it's going to be difficult to port the stocker, so I might have to buy a new 52 mm TB, which kind of sucks because I wasn't planning on spending another 300$ on a throttle body. So is it really necessary?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:33 AM

MTL_Z28, you sound just like me last year. LOL! I told my wife I was just going to spend "$1500 and that's it." Meanwhile nearly $5000 in parts later I still think to myself "if I get this then I'll have to have that." Oh well. I think your setup sounds great. It all depends on what you have planned for the power -track/street. Are you planning on porting your heads? I've heard great things about that cam. Good luck. Tell us what you do.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by a5150ward
MTL_Z28, you sound just like me last year. LOL! I told my wife I was just going to spend "$1500 and that's it." Meanwhile nearly $5000 in parts later I still think to myself "if I get this then I'll have to have that." Oh well. I think your setup sounds great. It all depends on what you have planned for the power -track/street. Are you planning on porting your heads? I've heard great things about that cam. Good luck. Tell us what you do.
It sure is expensive that's for sure. Like you, I thought I had it all covered but I just calculated tonight and it turns out I'm going to need another 1000$ or so in parts to make this happen. However there are certain things that I'm unsure wether or not I need them, so I was hoping to get some advice as they are pretty expensive parts, and my budget would be arranged differently.

Like for example the throttle body, if I don't really need a 52 mm TB and can get by with the stock 48 mm TB for now then that's 200-300$ that I don't have to spend. And another thing is the fuel injectors, some people I've spoken to recommend that I get some 30# injectors, and others say it's not necessary and that it's harder to tune a car when it has larger injectors (maybe I'm wrong about that), but I'm not sure about that either as that is the other major expense that I have to be concerned about. The rest is just miscellaneous small things that add up to a big chunk.

As for head porting, I'll probably just be looking for a mild port job & valve job on stock valves, just something that will get the heads flowing better than stock. But again some hev told me to go with stainless steel valves while I'm at it...

Last edited by MTL_Z28; 06-10-2004 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:29 AM

I can't give the best advice because everything I've bought, I learned about on these boards. I did decide to go with 30# injectors. I already have a PCMforless tune so updates come with it. I plan to send my Dyno sheet to Bryan to get the best tune possible. I have only put a few parts on the car so far, so I can't say what will be best for you. I can say that the 3:73 gears and sticky tires make a huge difference. Now I want 4:10's - but I only race my car now.

If you click on my link, you can see all the parts I've ordered so far. As far as I'm (or my wife ) concerned, I need them all!
Old 06-12-2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by a5150ward
I I did decide to go with 30# injectors. I already have a PCMforless tune so updates come with it. I plan to send my Dyno sheet to Bryan to get the best tune possible.
After reading a bit more, it seems that the stock injectors will likely be running at too high a duty cycle with my setup at high-rpm which would probably eventually lead to failure. I'm either going to buy some LT4 28# inj. that I found in the FS section or a set of Ford SVO 30# injectors. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:01 AM

That was my thought too. I got new ones off e-bay.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:35 PM

Just a quick note MTL, with all that power you'll be producing, I'd also add/compliment everything with some suspension pieces to make the most of your package. Some subframe connectors, adjustable panhard bar, and strut tower brace would really help bring it all together.....and keep your car strong enough to use everything!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:34 PM

Well I'm going to start by getting the engine setup, then maybe work on some suspension goodies.

I've wanted subframe connectors for some time now though, this way, when I go over bumps in the road, my chassis won't feel like it's made of cheese anymore
Old 06-22-2004, 04:15 PM

One other thing I was wondering is, when I put everything back together I wanted to use stock replacement head gaskets, but some people are telling me I should use Impala SS head gaskets since they are thinner and would bump the compression ratio a little bit. Which should I choose?
Old 06-25-2004, 03:55 PM

ttt
Old 06-25-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by MTL_Z28
One other thing I was wondering is, when I put everything back together I wanted to use stock replacement head gaskets, but some people are telling me I should use Impala SS head gaskets since they are thinner and would bump the compression ratio a little bit. Which should I choose?
use the impala gaskets...more bang, less buck
Old 06-25-2004, 04:13 PM

OK: You've apparently already decided to go with a relatively large cam so bearing in mind that your engine is just an air pump, the better it breaths the more power you make.

On the intake, a 48MM is big enough. On the exhaust, go with LTs. Don't waste money on larger TBs or bigger injectors when you are trying to save some money.

Put ALL you savings in having your heads done. Lt1 heads can be very effective with a good Port and pocket job. Throw in a polish and even better.

As far as timing chain, if you need to change it out anyway, might as well do it right (I will let someone else advise you on the T Chain).

Seems like you have enough $$, esp when you are talking about suspension, etc., but I'd make sure those heads are done RIGHT.

If anything as far as suspension, SFCs, etc., I'd opt for a 12 bolt rear, if it was a toss up.

If you can't put it to the ground without breaking things, you are missing the best. JMHO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for comments on my future setup...