CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   What tells the shifter that the brake is in, and lets you shift from park? (SHOEBOX?) (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/what-tells-shifter-brake-lets-you-shift-park-shoebox-196715/)

BlackLT1_TX 11-24-2003 07:23 PM

What tells the shifter that the brake is in, and lets you shift from park? (SHOEBOX?)

What sensor is responsable for this? Does is commonly go bad? Is it easy to replace?

Thanks!

SWINGRRR 11-24-2003 07:42 PM

I am going to try and take a stab at it. I think the Brake transmission shift interupt solenoid. It is under the console, by the shifter. I'll try to find a P/N.
EDIT: if this is it, I can send you a wireing diagram. Still working on a P/N.

shoebox 11-24-2003 07:50 PM

The Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) is responsible for not letting you shift out of park without depressing the brake. I would imagine the most common point of failure would be the brake switch as the power for the BTSI solenoid comes through a pair of contacts on the switch.

A quick and dirty solution is just to unplug the BTSI solenoid. On the left in this pic.

BlackLT1_TX 11-24-2003 08:05 PM

dont leave just yet shoebox.

where is that picture looking at, is it in the consol or under the dash. and do i just unplug the solniod? will this yeild an ses or anythign? and finally will the only diff be that the brake wont have to be down to get it out of park?

Thanks,
James

shoebox 11-24-2003 08:07 PM

It's under the shifter plate on the console.

BlackLT1_TX 11-24-2003 08:09 PM

your the man shoebox, there would be a lot of messed up fbods without you around!

shoebox 11-24-2003 08:14 PM

Originally posted by BlackLT1_TX
your the man shoebox, there would be a lot of messed up fbods without you around!
Shouldn't be a SES. You will be able to move the shifter at any time with it disconnected.

SWINGRRR 11-24-2003 08:16 PM

Originally posted by SWINGRRR
It is under the console, by the shifter.
You didnt belive me?

BlackLT1_TX 11-24-2003 08:19 PM

Originally posted by SWINGRRR
I am going to try and take a stab at it. I think the Brake transmission shift interupt solenoid. It is under the console, by the shifter. I'll try to find a P/N.
EDIT: if this is it, I can send you a wireing diagram. Still working on a P/N.

im a moron, didnt even think about that, just saw his picture and couldnt tell.

SWINGRRR 11-24-2003 08:23 PM

Its cool. Im just messing with ya.
Do you want the wiring diagram?

BlackLT1_TX 11-24-2003 08:25 PM

sure.

thanks!

tufZ 11-25-2003 12:59 PM

callin out BlackLT1_LX

Did you do the unplug the item and find that it works?
Can Swingrrr also send me the diagram?

My wife can not drive the car cause the difficulty with depressing that button!!

1msfyter 11-25-2003 01:06 PM

I unplugged mine also . It was failing. and it rattled. Force of habit I still apply the brake before shifting into gear. Also with the key out the shifter is still locked.

BlackLT1_TX 11-25-2003 01:52 PM

shifts out of park with ease, i cant ever remember it being like this.

i am going to go drive around and park everywhere, just to pull it out with out b.s.'in with the button.

just pull the orange thing out and push in on the connecter to get it out, works great!

tufZ 11-25-2003 03:11 PM

You guys are great. I will try it and hope it works... if it does, then I can spend the money on somethun other than the unobtainiable auto slapstick shifter. I've been wanting to replace the stock one for years now, but can't find any aftermarket shifter. Not that I really wanted one, but only to get rid of that stinkin push-button trouble. thanks again.