CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   weird idle and car feels like its on 7 cylinders (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/weird-idle-car-feels-like-its-7-cylinders-354855/)

formula69 04-02-2005 11:59 AM

weird idle and car feels like its on 7 cylinders

my car has a strange idle, it will idle kinda normal and then all of the sudden it will fell like someone revved it just a little bit it does this intermittently. the other problem is the car feels like someone disconnected a sparkplug wire. it runs like a dog under acceleration. i checked all the plugs and wires and they are ok. the optispark is brand new (3 days old) and all the connections in it are fine. could this be the ignition control module?

this is weird because i finished putting my opti in tuesday, got the car running perfect tuesday and wednesday. took it to the track wednesday and ran the best times it has ever run, then at the track, the ground wire that attaches to one of the bolts on the coil broke and fell off. i replaced it with a new ground wire, but ever since that the car has run with the symptoms above

formula69 04-02-2005 04:47 PM

Re: weird idle and car feels like its on 7 cylinders

anyone?

CoUnTryMuZiCZ28 04-02-2005 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by formula69
my car has a strange idle, it will idle kinda normal and then all of the sudden it will fell like someone revved it just a little bit it does this intermittently. the other problem is the car feels like someone disconnected a sparkplug wire. it runs like a dog under acceleration. i checked all the plugs and wires and they are ok. the optispark is brand new (3 days old) and all the connections in it are fine. could this be the ignition control module?

this is weird because i finished putting my opti in tuesday, got the car running perfect tuesday and wednesday. took it to the track wednesday and ran the best times it has ever run, then at the track, the ground wire that attaches to one of the bolts on the coil broke and fell off. i replaced it with a new ground wire, but ever since that the car has run with the symptoms above

Id check that ground wire.. Maybe its not thick enough. Make sure your MAF is connected.. Maybe you pulled one of the wires off something getting to that ground wire.. Maybe an O2 wire burnt also. Any SES light?

formula69 04-02-2005 05:32 PM

no ses lights... ic hecked the o2 sensors and they appear to be ok... i was thinking maybe its the icm? the ground wire i replaced the old one with is shorter and fatter so i dont think its that.. plus that just appears to be an earth ground from the engine to the chassis but im not sure.. the o2 sensors i have are brand new so i dunno would an icm throw acode?

CoUnTryMuZiCZ28 04-02-2005 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by formula69
no ses lights... ic hecked the o2 sensors and they appear to be ok... i was thinking maybe its the icm? the ground wire i replaced the old one with is shorter and fatter so i dont think its that.. plus that just appears to be an earth ground from the engine to the chassis but im not sure.. the o2 sensors i have are brand new so i dunno would an icm throw acode?

ICM im pretty sure wouldnt throw a code.. But they test them at auto parts stores for free. Could be a bad plug too. Have you hit any of them with something? maybe cracked the plug..

Red_94Formula 04-02-2005 06:03 PM

Check out those wires agian. If any of them are burnt even slightly because of those long tubes they wont carry a spark. Try spaying/misting some water over your plugs at night. If you see any sparks when misting the water you found your problem.

formula69 04-02-2005 07:27 PM

now when i turn the car on i get a little popping backfire at idle... this is getting stranger and stranger