LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Water in the oil... is my motor ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 06:10 PM

Water in the oil... is my motor ok?

Like it says I did a stupid, stupid stupid stupid thing the other day which was spray down the front of my motor with the opti off since I was gonna replace it. So it appears thats how all the water got in there b/c when i pulled off the valve cover after driving around the block, I noticed the oil was all white inside. I thought a rocker was loose b/c the motor just didnt sound right so thats when I noticed the water. All in all I think it ran maybe 1.5 minutes.

I also got a lot of gas in the oil from cranking the motor trying to start it up. It smelled very strong of gasoline as well as looked kinda brown.

So anyway after replacing the oil and filter I ran around town... 6 miles and everything seems ok. Sounds like it always has and the oil pressure is just where its always been. Am I in the clear?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:14 PM

Re: Water in the oil... is my motor ok?

id say change the oil again in a few miles, and then once more after a few more miles, just make sure all that water is out. If you only ran it for a few minutes with the water in the oil, you may not have caused any major damage.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:22 PM

Who knows for sure. But you proberly shortened the life of your motor. When I was taking apart a lt1 for my friend after a blown head gasket. I noticed the water liked to stay in the bearings. In short all the bearings had weird wear marks and lines in them. 2 of the rod bearings were showing premature signs of rod knock. Which is wear on the top and bottem of the bearing only. The motor still ran ok but he wanted a 383 anyways so we did it over.

In my case of getting water in my motor, about 15k miles ago (99K miles total), I have had no problems. Though I have not checked my bearings yet.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:42 PM

15 or so miles and everything seem alright. Is there any special oil or additive I should try out to get rid of the water that might still be in the bearings?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:50 PM

i did a motor fulsh on mine when it happened and changed the oil 3 more times.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:51 PM

I don't know how water can "stay in the bearings" without being dissipated by heat. If your oil is no longer milky, the water should be generally gone. Any damage you might have done to the bearings is done. Nothing you can do now. Only time will tell what will happen.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 PM

I would think letting water sit in there would be where the most damage would happen (rust). Other than that, you should let it run till everything gets nice and hot, then change the oil again.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by GreenDemon
I would think letting water sit in there would be where the most damage would happen (rust). Other than that, you should let it run till everything gets nice and hot, then change the oil again.
Oh well Im gonna change my oil again tomorrow and start savin for a 355 or 383. Looks like no more track time and road racing for me for fear my motor can't handle the abuse after this retarded stunt.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
Oh well Im gonna change my oil again tomorrow and start savin for a 355 or 383. Looks like no more track time and road racing for me for fear my motor can't handle the abuse after this retarded stunt.
Actually, some road racing to get the oil temps above 212* might be really good for it right now.