CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Valve Adjustment (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/valve-adjustment-627803/)

ascastil 08-13-2008 08:51 PM

Valve Adjustment

So I Adjusted The Valves Exactly As It Said On The Shoebox Site. Some Of Them Just Feel Loose(not Up And Down Loose, But Spinning Between Your Fingers Loose), While Others Are Tight But Because The Valve Is Open. Is This Because The Lifters Have Bled Down? He Said Not To Go Back And Adjust Them Once Zero Lash Was Set, And I Didnt. Just Double Checking Before I Put The Manifold On.

shoebox 08-13-2008 11:30 PM

First, take off the caps lock.

If you are sure you did it right, test try to test fire it before you button it back up. If you think it might be wrong. Start over. If you are not too experienced in adjusting the valves, you might want to start over, anyway.

After adjustment, it's common for you to be able to spin pushrods of those valves that are not open. That's why the text says to leave them alone (assuming the adjustment was done correctly).

ascastil 08-14-2008 01:44 AM

Thankyou shoebox. I am an auto student in Phoenix so yes you can say I am not experienced. My question again is according to the text once you feel resistance, stop and that is zero lash, correct? After all the valves are adjusted, how easily should they spin? As easily as when I adjusted them to zero lash or tighter or perhaps more loose?

ascastil 08-14-2008 01:48 AM

Oh, and BTW, the motor is still on the engine stand.

shoebox 08-14-2008 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ascastil (Post 5532513)
Thankyou shoebox. I am an auto student in Phoenix so yes you can say I am not experienced. My question again is according to the text once you feel resistance, stop and that is zero lash, correct? After all the valves are adjusted, how easily should they spin? As easily as when I adjusted them to zero lash or tighter or perhaps more loose?

When you begin to feel resistance as the text says...

How loose they are after you rotate the engine around and do them all is not entirely predictable or the same on every engine. Pushrods might spin, but they should not be loose.

moehorsepower 08-14-2008 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox (Post 5532771)
When you begin to feel resistance as the text says...

How loose they are after you rotate the engine around and do them all is not entirely predictable or the same on every engine. Pushrods might spin, but they should not be loose.

As shoe says, be careful because what I see with novice mechs is they will sping the push rod until it stops the adjust the rocker, but the lifter will bleed down and the push rod will spin again, they keep tightening the nut till they finally bottom out the lifter, also make sure the lifter is on the base of the cam and not on the lobe, I realize the engine is on the stand and this is the best method to get them adjusted but once the engine is running I still like to do the final adjustment the Ole fashion way with the engine running, but thats me and not a requirement...