LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Do i have to tear everything apart(cap-rotor)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 AM

Smile Do i have to tear everything apart(cap-rotor)

Ok my car is 86 000miles and its ready for a tune up,i will change all the fluid and probably the power steering unit.I will also install a new msd blaster coil(8226),accel 9000 plug wire(9037),new plug(tr55).

I also got a msd cap and rotor kit(84811) that i want to install.I already know that some of you prefer to change the whole opti unit at the same time but...I already got the cap and rotor and i dont want to spend for a new opti since mine is working perfectly.

I got no money to waste cause like a lot of people im beginning to be a little tight on budget and i want my car to run this year,you can look in my sig,all the stock that you see was bought in less then 6 months.I dont care to do the job twice if my opti fail in 1 year.

Ok now that you got the point here is my questions:

-Do i need to tear everything apart (crank pullye,water pump) to install the cap and rotor?Or can i get away with it?

-I got a clamp block include in my kit and i dont understand the purpose of this small thing and also where and how to install it?

-And since my car is 86 000miles and its the original water pump, could it be a good idea to change it?

Thank you

Last edited by always faster; 05-24-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 AM

Re: Do i have to tear everything apart(cap-rotor)

Originally Posted by always faster

-Do i need to tear everything apart (crank pullye,water pump) to install the cap and rotor?Or can i get away with it?
There is no way getting around pulling off the crank pulley and water pump, you *must* do it.

-I got a clamp block include in my kit and i dont understand the purpose of this small thing and also where and how to install it?
huh?

-And since my car is 86 000miles and its the original water pump, could it be a cold idea to change it?

Thank you
I'd suggest changing it out or going with an electric water pump at this point. Cost is about the same.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:05 AM

The small block that came with the capand rotor kit is supposed like it wrote in the instruction:***the clamp block goes in the cap tab between the wiring harness and the coil wire tower***

So still dont have a clue?

For the rest i will tear everything apart and also gonna change my water pump.

Does a rebuilt one is good or should i buy something like this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-24-2006, 09:06 AM

Just did this job 3 weeks ago
You will need to take the water pump off , air pump ,pullie . The air pump has bolts that go to the water pump, so thats why it needs to come off,as for the pullie well its 3 bolts then you might need some one on top and one on bottom to pry it off then off comes the opti .
I took my opti apart and cleaned it (if you do this just watch out not to bend the disk's inside I used gas worked great. hit me up and I can tell ya step by step if you want 734-347-0586 Thanks Al
Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 AM

As for the water pump you can get them on ebay . their is a guy on ebay that sells them that lives up by my job , great guy to deal with you can get it at a good price. He can also sell you one with out the guts if you go elec.
Got one from him this past winter and had a place try to press out the impeller and cracked it . So i called him and he sold me one with out the guts If you go with an elec make sure you have a place weld the drip hole on the water pump.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by fastalz95
As for the water pump you can get them on ebay . their is a guy on ebay that sells them that lives up by my job , great guy to deal with you can get it at a good price. He can also sell you one with out the guts if you go elec.
Got one from him this past winter and had a place try to press out the impeller and cracked it . So i called him and he sold me one with out the guts If you go with an elec make sure you have a place weld the drip hole on the water pump.
Do you have is name?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:36 AM

hit me up on the cell and I'll give you his # Just don't want to post it with getting the ok from him. 734-347-0586 Al
Old 05-24-2006, 10:59 AM

Does a rebuilt one can be good???Like this one i found :

Professionally Rebuilt unit and includes new high performance bearing, seal and gasket set price 59.99$ +shipping

Or should i stick with a factory new one?

or

An electric one but i would like to find one already mounted to the lt1 housing(yeah im kinda fastidious)
Old 05-24-2006, 12:18 PM

I just bought and installed a water pump from the same guy off ebay.....pump looks good and is working fine.