CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Trans Am sound system FYI... (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/trans-am-sound-system-fyi-113088/)

IrocManiac 04-27-2003 08:29 PM

Trans Am sound system FYI...

Guys some may remember my thread the other day about the speakers in my car turns out it is an amplified factory six speaker system but it's not the bose, so there were some six speaker options on the 95's....Just figured I'd pass the info along.

Injuneer 04-28-2003 12:27 PM

The Firebird/Formula/TA never got the Bose system. That was only offered in the Camaro. The upgrade to the stock system in the Firbird is a 10-speaker system, that eventually became known as the "Monsoon".... maybe in 96 or 97. There are two speakers in each front door, two speakers under each oval panel in the hatch area, and a sub on each side of the rear seat. There is a sub amp somewhere in the back.

As far as I know that was the only option.

Buttercup 04-28-2003 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
There is a sub amp somewhere in the back.

Sounds correct to me. FYI the amp is underneath the panel by the right, rear passenger's hip.

Injuneer 04-28-2003 12:37 PM

I was going to look for it, because its getting removed, along with the rest of the sound system..... major weight reduction :). A buddy of mine has a 97 TA, and he was showing me a box under the plastic cover over the passenger side rear wheel well. But I know my 94 is not located there.... apparently its where you indicated.....

T/A#4 04-28-2003 12:38 PM

Monsoon first offered in 97, it's a 500 watt system or so they claim. Speakers are not replacabe with other than GM OEM according to my local Sound Shop source.

Buttercup 04-28-2003 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
I was going to look for it, because its getting removed, along with the rest of the sound system..... major weight reduction :). A buddy of mine has a 97 TA, and he was showing me a box under the plastic cover over the passenger side rear wheel well. But I know my 94 is not located there.... apparently its where you indicated.....
Yep, the monsoon is actually different than our earlier sound systems. The amp itself is below that panel I mentioned, almost on the floor. It's a tiny little thing with a cheap steel bracket mounted just ahead of the wheel well. If I remember right, mine had a block of foam over it. Once you pull the panel it's obvious. It's a featherweight amp, I'm assuming you're removing the wiring as well if you're going through this kind of reduction ;)

IrocManiac 04-28-2003 12:45 PM

I was pretty impressed with the fact it had an amplified system in it already. I replaced the front door speakers with some fosgate fanatics, and put some kenwoods in where the 6.5's went behind the driver and passenger, but those kenwoods are coming out and the factories are going back in.