CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   throwing in the towel (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/throwing-towel-312306/)

blkz21 10-24-2004 08:17 PM

throwing in the towel

Im throwing in the towel and bringing the car to the shop tommorow. It seems like a lot of people have had this problem. It seems to have a stumble thats gets worse as the car heats up. Im not getting an ses light and have not scanned it yet. The stumble comes when tapping the gas or just pushing wot. It seems to jump past the stumble at high rpm'sbut when it upshifts or downshifts it stumbles. It also is somewhat surging when your at a stop and let off the brake to ease forward, i even notice the lights(dash ans headlights) seem to flicker a bit. the sound is like valve clatter. idles fine. no sparks when i had it running a night. Checked the fuel pressure its fine. recent work done plugs and wires in the spring , tranny rebuild 3wks ago, fuel injector cleaner put in 2wks ago. Not sure what it is waiting to hear word from the mechanic(has scanner)Not much time to diagnose workin 12 hour days and sat.Anyone had this problem whats the easy fix haha

blkz21 10-24-2004 08:42 PM

Re: throwing in the towel

anyone?

turbo_Z 10-24-2004 08:50 PM

if you have had recent work done to the plugs and wires then maybe thats where the problem is. Did you have them replaced to fix this problem or just b/c of general maintenance?

blkz21 10-24-2004 09:37 PM

general maintenance back in may' 04 also forgot to mention had a clogged cat had it replaced with a high flow 2wks ago can put in nuetral amd revs fine

turbo_Z 10-24-2004 09:41 PM

Well Im putting my money on the ignition system then. Check to make sure all the wires are on tight(plugs and opti), none of them touching anything hot like the headers or heads, all routed correctly and last if none of that fixes the problem then you might have a cracked plug.

blkz21 10-24-2004 09:48 PM

thx ill chk that its going in for a scan tommorow a cracked plug or loose/burnt wire wouldnt give an ses or scan code?

jay_lt4 10-24-2004 09:54 PM

just put a new opti in it

95_LT1_6SPD 10-24-2004 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
just put a new opti in it

as mostly anyone will tell you, that will be your problem in a situation like this. If you have the tools and ability to change the opti-spark yourself, do it and save yourself a pile of greenbacks.

turbo_Z 10-24-2004 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by blkz21
thx ill chk that its going in for a scan tommorow a cracked plug or loose/burnt wire wouldnt give an ses or scan code?

Nope. Only OBD2 computers(96+) has the capability to track down misfires.

CamaroSS30thAnn 10-24-2004 10:58 PM

opti was bad when mine did that

Bryan Smith 10-24-2004 11:00 PM

EGR solenoid was bad when mine did that. hehe. You're going to get a lot of "change this/that" you say you dont have any codes? you sure... When the key is in the on position, does your SES light stay lit after all the other lights have gone out?

Unfortunatly there usually isnt a quick fix for a stumble problem. Since there's too many aspects.

94Zpower 10-25-2004 01:09 PM

Opti and plugs, wires should do the trick! been there done that!.

good luck!

blkz21 10-25-2004 09:36 PM

the shop scanned it and said the number 6 plug from the opti is bad and the map sensors isnt working properly the water pump was leaking on the opti going to replace everything myself shop wanted 900 dollars to fix 500 labor so i think i will tackle it. i have done the water pump once before under warranty thanks for all the advice