CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   synthic oil (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/synthic-oil-302008/)

badasschevy625 09-17-2004 06:48 PM

synthic oil

can i put sythetic oil in my car and be ok i have heard some bad stories about it

n2ceptor 09-17-2004 06:56 PM

Re: synthic oil

Synthetics are alittle thinner than dino oils, and possibly can leak if you have a bad seal somewhere.... Other than that, it has more good qualities than dino...

southern78 09-17-2004 08:32 PM

It won't leak unless you have an existing leak clogged with sluge of regular oil. I think it has more powerful detergants or cleaning qualities in it that will break lose the sludge of debris that is serving as clog in the existing leak. I did it and my intake leaked but then again I just say it is a chance to fix a leak I didn't know about. My opinion is it could possible leak in the future with regular oil just the syn. oil got to leak quicker. Just fix the leaks and move on. Some people fear a leak but depends on what you want really. I think its better overall with sync. but then again you will have to fix the leaks (if any do present themselves). Maybe I am wrong about though. Others here with more experience can help us out though. Other than the intake no problems sense and seems to run just tad bit smooother but then again maybe its me just thinking that cause everything seems to run smoother after you do all the work on it :-) .

LameRandomName 09-17-2004 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by badasschevy625
can i put sythetic oil in my car and be ok i have heard some bad stories about it

Quick answer; yes. You can.

Longer answer:

The bad rep that synthetic has is due to it's detergent effect. If you put it in an old engine that is already leaky but not showing due to gunk plugging up the leaks, it will wash away the gunk. If your rings are shot it'll ease past them easier as well.

The difference between the oils is that one is engineered and the other is natural. In the natural stuff the molecules can be likened to elbow macaroni, while the synthetic can be likened to spaghetti.

I mean, there's other stuff, but that's the important one.

An identical weight of synthetic will generally return a lower oil pressure because it flows easier but better protection, since the long strands of molecules "wrap around" things better. (remember the spaghetti?)

Best bet is to use the same weight oil you are using now, unless you are using 20w-50, which is too heavy for anything made after the late 80's, and even then only when it's worn and the weather is hot.

Don't forget to change the filter every 3000 miles. The oil may last longer, but it gets dirty just as fast.

TobyZ28 09-17-2004 11:42 PM

I would always recommend synthetic if your someone who really cares for the engine. If there are existing problems it will make them more apparent and they should get fixed anyway. If you prefer to drive the car without finding these problems out since they are solved by a "bandaid" type solution (ie dino oil sludge prevent potential leaks :) ) then stick with what your using now. Your choice :D

apick42 09-18-2004 09:39 PM

Corvettes come from the factory with mobile 1 syn.