LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SUPER RAM LT1 INTAKE gains 60lbs of TQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 PM
n2oblkz

Re: SUPER RAM LT1 INTAKE gains 60lbs of TQ

This is always an option also. You can have this done with either an LT1 or an LT4.
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~squinn0039/ltx.html

Last edited by n2oblkz; 07-13-2005 at 01:58 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:18 PM

Also I thought that the Miniram was a Lot better intake than a LT1 or LT4, does anyone know.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:12 PM

Go look at article 14 it talks how the miniram looks like much like a short runner factory LT1 intake, BUT internally the miniram is different in al asspects(Plenum volume, Runner length, and cross-section) Gm has since returned to the long runner design for the Ls1 and LS2 engines I believe since the Ls1 has awsome heads thats why it can pull the long runner intakes to 6,500 RPm and still make power and still make great low end torque. Thats my look at it.

Also a Ported AFR headed or LE ported LT1 casting car would probably make the Powerband of this intake more into the 6,000 RPM range. I believe the more modifyed the better just as Comp stated when they tested this intake.
SStrokerACe always says we need runner length in our intakes thats why he is adapted to a Holley steath ram. (wont fit under our stock hood though, you would need a big cowl)
Old 07-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Go look at article 14 it talks how the miniram looks like much like a short runner factory LT1 intake, BUT internally the miniram is different in al asspects(Plenum volume, Runner length, and cross-section) Gm has since returned to the long runner design for the Ls1 and LS2 engines I believe since the Ls1 has awsome heads thats why it can pull the long runner intakes to 6,500 RPm and still make power and still make great low end torque. Thats my look at it.

Also a Ported AFR headed or LE ported LT1 casting car would probably make the Powerband of this intake more into the 6,000 RPM range. I believe the more modifyed the better just as Comp stated when they tested this intake.
SStrokerACe always says we need runner length in our intakes thats why he is adapted to a Holley steath ram. (wont fit under our stock hood though, you would need a big cowl)

I've seen the thing in person. While that article makes it out to be completely different I can't tell any differences in runner size nor plenum volume. Thats why I compare it to a LT1 style intake
Old 07-13-2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by GPRacing
will it fit under the hood of the camaro with lt1?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...c/SuperRam.jpg

Wellll, sort of. I don't know how you would tighten those bolts in the back.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:52 PM

LTX intake...so they hacked the sucker apart, increased volume, welded it all pretty...any results from anyone running this intake? cause i've talked to lloyd and he seems to think if he does a set of LT4 or trickflow heads and custom cam for me the LT1/4 intakes could start to be a possible restriction...basically said the most he's been able to get out of a ported casting is about 460rwhp and it flatlined from about 5500ish till redline...this seems unusual as i see people right up over 400whp all the time...maybe some other issue with the vette the motor was in? i dunno...i just know that if i have lloyd do a set of heads & a cam...this 396 will effin rip...
Old 07-13-2005, 07:03 PM

Torque whens races fellas. I asked him also why more people didn't go this rought and he said 1,500 for and intake is alot of money, I laughed and said yea it is.
I beg to differ:

http://www.yawpower.com/tqvshp.html

Also keep in mind this guy is a sales person, who makes money by getting you to buy his product.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:12 PM

WEll I think it was Joe Overton Himself that said TQ wins races but what do I know.
Also the more I look, I have found out that Gm copied the Miniram Idea and yes the intakes are very similiar indeed. I suppose it would be nice to have the extra torque, but RPM in a NA motor I suppose is the key to making power. A Gm LT4 maniflod is $215 or so and with AI or LE porting them I suppose that is about as good as it will get for the most part.

I thought I may had found an alternative but I guess these last 2 days of research proved to be not what I had hoped for. Anyone else have any good ideas.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:13 PM

Alvin, I have heard of guys cutting the stock intake and adding some height for plenum volume and it is supposed to make a bit more power but I have never seen any charts. I think the plenum volume is why the little LT1 can benefit from larger TBs even though the stocker should suffice to a lot higher mod level than it actually does. People always bring up the Ramjet 502 using the same TB and maybe it gets away with it due to the volume being closer to optimal.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:16 PM

WEll I think it was Joe Overton Himself that said TQ wins races but what do I know.
By all means, get a diesel then. Did you even read the article in the link???
Old 07-14-2005, 02:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deenasty
I believe it is the same as the stealth ram, that Bret is currently modifying and selling if my memory serves me correctly. Very nice intakes, just a bit out of my financial statement.
Bret is moding the Holley Stealth Ram not even close to the Lingenfelter piece.
The Super Ram runs out of wind about 5500 so it isn't a good piece for an LT-1. The Holley piece has to have the intake bolts redrilled for the LT-1 heads but will fit the engine. It won't fit the cowl and has to be moded or the cowl needs to be modded. Works great once it is in place.It will flow with a set of 300CFM heads.

BTW: Torque gets it moving,HP takes it out the back door.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 07-14-2005 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:19 AM

[QUOTE=T/A KID]Go look at article 14 it talks how the miniram looks like much like a short runner factory LT1 intake, BUT internally the miniram is different in al asspects(Plenum volume, Runner length, and cross-section) QUOTE]

contrary to popular internet belief, a miniram is NOT the same as an LTx intake--an opinion shared above---there are some pics somewhere on this forum or tgo if you look hard enough--and you can see the vast differences.
MRs do not enjoy a popular internet following-i believe due to early finish/ casting flaws and the herd mentality.I have a new MR3 and I swear by it.no problems at all, the fit is perfect.Im gonna polish the plenum /runners next time its off; but the casting isnt any rougher than anything ive had from dart or edelbrock.Low end and throttle response are wicked--why on earth would i want more torque when i have to pedal 2nd on street tires?? pulls to 6300 with a cam that shouldnt go past 5800 [pu$$y little 224@50-.550 lift] Its been to 7 accidentally with shifter problems and didnt fall flat on its face like TPI/ SR setups do when spun past peak.
I cant wait till i get a real cam in the thing.
It reminds of when all the magazines were swearing you couldnt run a single plane on the street and you need to go buy a dual plane right now.I couldnt pop my hood without someone telling me how wrong it was...thats fine bud, i used the $ i won from you to buy a BIGGER single plane and cam.

I guess it really all boils down to what your application requires--i wouldnt run a MR on an impala ss daily driver any more than id run a SR on a drag motor.

as far as "torque wins races",im not going there in this post, ill just say ive got a 355 with a short runner manifold, all the tq spike i need just a solenoid away

I do like what ive seen of HSR though, looks like the best of both worlds-the longer runners probably even out the curve and the tunnel ram style plenum probably pulls upstairs.it just so happens ive got a MR, so its staying.

take all of this for what it isnt worth....my fingers hurt

Last edited by stealthblack; 07-14-2005 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
BTW: Torque gets it moving,HP takes it out the back door.
If you had read the link that I posted, you'd know that gear and torque converter can make up for any deficit in low-end torque.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by engineermike
If you had read the link that I posted, you'd know that gear and torque converter can make up for any deficit in low-end torque.
Maybe, but ya may have to put so much gear in it it won't make it out the back door.

If YOU had read all the posts ya would see that this is an answer to Joe O's quote.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
Maybe, but ya may have to put so much gear in it it won't make it out the back door.
I don't have enough fingers to plug all the holes in that statement!

- My bike has no low-end torque at all. Torque peak is at 10,000 rpm and hp at 12,000. It doesn't do anything until 8,000. Ryan Schnitz managed to ride one into the 8's at 159 mph. [sarcastic]Man, I bet if he didn't need so much gear it would REALLY be fast![/sarcastic]

- NHRA Super Stock V-6 cars are running high 9's, while Comp V-6 cars are running mid 8's naturally aspirated, with no low-end torque (and not much peak torque) and whole lot of gear. I guess they figured out how to "make it out the back door."

- The point being that a low-torque, high-revving motor WILL "make it out the back door" because it has an extended rpm range. Couple that with the correct gear and it will outrun a high-torque, low rpm motor anyday.

- Torque converters with a 3.0 STR. You do the math. 'Nuff said.

Mike

Quick Reply: SUPER RAM LT1 INTAKE gains 60lbs of TQ