LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SUPER RAM LT1 INTAKE gains 60lbs of TQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 04:03 PM

SUPER RAM LT1 INTAKE gains 60lbs of TQ

I have been looking at COMP CAMS website trying to get as much information and knowledge about camshafts and valvetrain that I can. ESPECIALLY about the new XFI cam series. My friend works at comp and he said they are based off of a Roller profile and are basically BADF@ckiNA$$?.

Well anyways I ran across this article
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Ar...p?ID=-61543841

I have never heard of this intake, from my basic understanding is that it is a long runner intake that gives signifiacant amounts of Torque over the LT1 intake and equals that of the LT1's HP.

It also dicusses how a 52MM TB helped over the Stock 48MM.

I love the Title LEGENDARY STATUS.

Does anyone know if this intake is being sold anywhere, I was excited when I read it b/c I thought that I might have found an awsome alternative to the short runner LT1 intake.

Also does anyone know Any info about the XFI cams off hand, BRETT, ANYONE. Thanks like always
Old 07-12-2005, 04:16 PM

Re: SUPER RAM LT1 INTAKE gains 60lbs of TQ

Funny you should mention it, I just stumbled onto one on ebay the other day and was wondering what the deal with it was. I would have thought the LT1 intake was good enough to not really warrant a SuperRam swap, maybe that's why it's "rare"... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...Name=WDVW&rd=1

Same guy is selling the superram runners/plenum seperately in another auction.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:37 PM

The SuperRam has been out for a while. It was being used by the 3rdgen TPI crowd for a while. Then Holley's StealthRam came out and is the best of the LT1 and SuperRam design.

www.holley.com
Old 07-12-2005, 04:47 PM

Wow I can't believe they are both on ebay right now. Are both peices rare or just the bottom part. I believe this with some Ported AFR heads in a 396 would make awsome power. I don't know much about the Holley steath ram but will it fit under the hood of a 4th gen Fbody. I believe the Accel super ram will. Should I jump on these deals on ebay or stay away from them. In the article below it made more power up to 5,800 RPM both alot more torque and a little HP passed that is kinda of level off. Well out of the box 195 AFR's are a medicore head and they used around a .500 lift cam with low duration. The article said that the more radical the application the RPM would actually increas. SO 6500 RPM I bet could be attainded making crazy power with say a 383 or 396. So much toque you pass ot around .

I have also just read that they acutally sell the Accel super ram kit on the market again. I think its 1,200 though.

ANY comments
Old 07-12-2005, 04:53 PM

I'm not even sure if the StealthRam will work on the LT1 motor.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Lingenfelter used the Superram in conjunction with a matched cam on several of his/their 383 packages. They still offer it, but it is pricey. They claim almost 60 lb/ft of torque increase over the stock manifold and apparently have dyno numbers to back up their statement. They also do a lot of porting and port matching to eek out all the power they can. The intake itself was/is made by Accel with design help from John. I was going to do this swap until I priced it out thru LPE. I also heard that the manifold is a real pain to install and to work around. LPEs 383s made 420rwhp and 440rwtq with that manifold and a 219/219 .560"/.560" (relatively small) cam in an M6 car. There is, however, a different part # for the Superram for the F-body as it is a little smaller to fit under our hoods...

It does look very cool and does make lots of torque....

--Alan
Old 07-12-2005, 05:09 PM

Was the price 1,200 for you ABA383. I believe with a 396CI motor with a 290-300 CFM AFR 195 headed car with a pretty aggresive XFI camshaft 236/242 111-113LSA 591 lift cam, Would be quite nasty

By looking at it I would not think installing and working around it would be hard. Take a look at the bottom of the Link that I gave you, it shows a pretty good pick of it on a motor.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:16 PM

I believe it is the same as the stealth ram, that Bret is currently modifying and selling if my memory serves me correctly. Very nice intakes, just a bit out of my financial statement.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 PM

I want to say that it was $1700-1800 thru LPE including the billet cover instead of the cast type which is prone to warping/leaking. I was going to send the car to LPE for a top end freshening, but the whole project became too cost prohibitive, so I went local and with Joe Overton...

--Alan
Old 07-12-2005, 06:06 PM

The super ram is great intake and it does produce monstor low end TQ. originaly designed for the TPI guys it was the perfect intake to replace the restrictive GM TPI set up. All they did was make a new base and it was ready for the LT1. LPE used them for a while for all of there LT1 383 automatics and stuck with the stock LT1 intake for the sticks and eventualy quit using them as a standard intake all togeather but they do still sell them. It is a trade off low end TQ for high rev HP the SR runs out of gas where the LT1 intake keeps on making power. I thought about this and was real close to pulling the trigger since my car is 90% street driven but decided to stay with the LT1/4 ported intake because the SR was expensive and a huge PITA to get on and off.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:30 PM

Well what all is acutally needed then. I thought it was a 2 piece deal are your ready to go. a lower have adapted for the LT1 and then the Upper portion that is small enough to fit under the hood.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:52 PM

Kind of depressing to see that it takes heads, cam, and $$$ intake to match an LS1's power.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:03 PM

Probably one of the better [and rarest $$$$] intake manifolds was the 91-92 Firehawk only T-Ram.

Scroll down: http://members.shaw.ca/s15/tuned_por..._resources.htm

I'd probably put the intakes in this order when it comes to power.

LS6, LS1, LT5, LT4, Stealth Ram, LT1, T-Ram, Mini Ram, Super Ram, L98
Old 07-12-2005, 08:17 PM

I disagree. I'd pull out the LT5. Since it's a 4V intake I don't think you can compare it. The LT4 isn't any better than the LT1, maybe worse (ports are smaller). Also, I saw a dyno test once that put the Super Ram over the T-Ram. The Mini Ram is better than LTX because the runners aren't as short.

LS6, LS1, Stealth Ram, Mini Ram, LT1, LT4, Super Ram, T-Ram, L98
Old 07-12-2005, 08:49 PM

HAHA , lol Look what I found guys I guess we are just lucky.
They do still sell it after all.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/74196.html

I know its a little Pricey but hell you have to pay 850 for a Fast LSx intake, so I think with a modifyed setup in a Auto Car this is IDEA for sure.
I would get LE to port this intake for even more airflow. This intake matched with a Well ported AFR head and a extra 33-46 cubes would probably make 500RW Torque and probably around 440-470 RWHP at only 6,300 RPM

Quick Reply: SUPER RAM LT1 INTAKE gains 60lbs of TQ