LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

squeak unknown

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 06:24 PM

squeak unknown

I searched in the suspension section but all the threads that appear to have the same problem as I,,, not one answer. Please do not move this out to suspension section.

My 93 has this annoying creak/groan/squeak at the top of the strut travel on the pass side front. Both the upper and lower ball joints are fine (lowers are new 12 months ago) and are greased, no sloppiness in suspension, sway bar is not loose. Front end does not bounce at all and is quite tight.

It only creaks at the top end end with small movements if I hit larger bumps or larger rolls in the road it doesn't squeak but with small movements or shallow rolls in the road it gives me this very annoying, angering, frustrating squeak.

Things I have done are:

- split the top ball joint and inspected the boot, it looks good and when I moved the ball joint around it is very nice and tight and smooth
- I tried spraying white lithium grease into the bushings while moving the upper control arm up and down to work it in

The noise went away for about 2 weeks but has come back. Anyone have some ideas to help me out, especially if you have experienced the same thing, will be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:41 PM

Re: squeak unknown

I have the same problem...... And I have all new bushings, ect... I just live with it...
Old 10-08-2004, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor
I have the same problem...... And I have all new bushings, ect... I just live with it...
what about the struts did you change those??
Old 10-08-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by pearlpurple
what about the struts did you change those??
Yes....
Old 10-09-2004, 07:21 AM

Yes....
hmmmm, new struts, new bushings and you still have a squeak, I cannot just live with it as it is embarassing to be driving down the road in a nice shiny F body with a rumbling exhaust and then you here squeak, squeak, squeak

what have you not changed on you front end that could be squeaking???

By the way thanks for the replies and continuing to help!!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:17 AM

All suspension parts front and rear(except springs) are about 1- 1 1/2 year old now.... I have a leaking rear shock that has to be replaced, but the suspension has always squeaked, before and after the replacement, mostly going over bumps slow..... I just jack the car up, to remove load on the suspension, and spray lithum grease(white grease) on all the bushings about every two months. That helps...
Old 10-09-2004, 03:33 PM

All suspension parts front and rear(except springs) are about 1- 1 1/2 year old now.... I have a leaking rear shock that has to be replaced, but the suspension has always squeaked, before and after the replacement, mostly going over bumps slow..... I just jack the car up, to remove load on the suspension, and spray lithum grease(white grease) on all the bushings about every two months. That helps...
I went the lithium way and about 2 weeks and squeak is back again. A guy from a shop told me to use tranny fluid as the trany fluid will creep in better where as the white lithium kinda dries out. Today I again broke the top ball joint and used a squirt bottle and just laid the tranny fluid to the upper bushings as they were squeaky. With drastic up and down movement and plenty of trany fluid (use a rag to catch extra from going on brakes) and the sound is now "squishy" no squeak.

Right now the squeak is again once gone, I will drive it for a few days to see if the squeak stays away. I only have a few more days or weeks and the snow flies and she goes up for the winter.