LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Square port headers for LT1 Camaro

Old 07-25-2017, 05:59 PM

Square port headers for LT1 Camaro

I am having a header dilemma for my Camaro. Its a 94, LT1 with LT4 AFR square port heads. The second set of headers that I put on are popping on the passenger side. I am considering either going with cheap Pacesetters even though they are D port or perhaps buying cheap headers for a 2nd or 3rd gen with square ports and hoping it will fit my car. I know I'm not the only one running these heads, what headers do everyone else use?

The first set of headers that I had look identical to XS headers, including the Y-pipe that came with it. Has the same thick stainless tubes with front primaries running straight back. These headers had D ports and I ran them open, so I have no idea if they were leaking. On top of that, I reused that gasket for the second set. The issues I had with them were that they were too wide and were squished between the block and frame, spark plugs were horrible to access, and the number 1 primary went straight into the steering column completely blocking where the shaft is supposed to go. Instead of fighting the motor mounts, I had to cut the drivers side tubes to get it out.

The second set is from Speed Engineering. The stainless Y-pipe would not fit with my UMI G-load brace/driveshaft loop. The headers are stainless and oval port. The drivers side slips in easily from the top, however I had to dimple the number 3 primary and grind the steering shaft to make it fit. Passenger side is tight but slips in from the bottom and goes on tight due to the rear most bolt binding. The old gasket had signs of leaking from the numbers 2,4, and 6 primaries. Big carbon tracks going down. The second gaskets, which came with these headers have slightly oval-ed out bolt holes and it appears that number 4 and 6 may have leaked together and to the bolt holes. I bought a set of copper gaskets that specifically say for AFR square port heads and they don't match very well. It looks like the ports are offset from each other. The old set seem to match a bit better to the gasket, but I don't have the money to gamble on another set. I can show pics of the ports and gaskets if necessary.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:05 PM

Re: Square port headers for LT1 Camaro

You need headers that fit the AFR heads. First determine which heads you have, the 195 will take the felpro 1404. The 210 or 227 takes the felpro 1405. Use the correct gasket for the head you have. Next make sure it fits your header flange, if not find another set of headers.

Last edited by lt1-xjs; 07-26-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:03 PM

I have the correct gasket, just need the headers. I haven't found a set for a 94 camaro with square ports, they're usually oval or D as the LT1 was originally D port. The main question is who makes the right headers or does anyone use a set that are from a different car that have square ports but will fit the car.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:55 PM

Post pics of the gasket on the head and on the Speed E header flange.

Search this Thread