CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Should I replace my waterpump since i'm already replacing my opti? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/should-i-replace-my-waterpump-since-im-already-replacing-my-opti-881785/)

Dan_the_ManZ28 02-18-2015 01:05 PM

Should I replace my waterpump since i'm already replacing my opti?

Once it warms up over here in Chicago, I plan on doing a tune up to my Camaro. I convinced myself that I will be replacing all of the spark plug wires, both 02 sensors, the whole optispark, flush the coolant and then the minor air filter oil change. Plugs were replaced aprox. 10k miles ago. I might do them too depending on how much this optispark replacement kills me.

My question is, should I go ahead and replace my waterpump while I already have it out of the car and coolant drained? My car never overheated nor does it leak/ loose coolant. I know i can either replace the seals and gaskets for it or replace the whole thing. What are your thoughts? car has 114k miles. Stock engine.

Injuneer 02-18-2015 03:20 PM

Re: Should I replace my waterpump since i'm already replacing my opti?

Dan.... this is the "Podcast" forum. This where the Administrators post the link to their weekly podcast. Not going to get any tech advice here. I'll move your post to "LT1 Based Engine Tech" where you should get help.

94Z28LS1toLT1 02-18-2015 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_the_ManZ28 (Post 6973418)
Once it warms up over here in Chicago, I plan on doing a tune up to my Camaro. I convinced myself that I will be replacing all of the spark plug wires, both 02 sensors, the whole optispark, flush the coolant and then the minor air filter oil change. Plugs were replaced aprox. 10k miles ago. I might do them too depending on how much this optispark replacement kills me.

My question is, should I go ahead and replace my waterpump while I already have it out of the car and coolant drained? My car never overheated nor does it leak/ loose coolant. I know i can either replace the seals and gaskets for it or replace the whole thing. What are your thoughts? car has 114k miles. Stock engine.

I just got all the things you mentioned done a couple months ago,the only thing was i never changed the o2 sensors,but i asked myself the same thing and my mechanic asked me too "Should I replace the WP,mine had rust in it and on the shaft too,so i replaced it,plus the previous owner i didnt know when he replaced it so i paid 70 to buy a new one. IDK if you remembered when you changed yours?

So IMO i would change it Dan:yes:

Chimera96 02-19-2015 12:48 AM

if your WP is original w/114k mi it has certainly met its max design life.

replace with a new pump. also replace hoses

I would also replace TC seals. Get the FelPro TC seal/gasket kit for about $12. it will have everything you will need (and stuff you wont use). The wp drive seal is prone to leaking after doing WP swaps/removals so replace with new. clean drive spline and coupler inside spline well, grease. use the new "O" rings on wp& drive splines.replace Opti seal also. if your crank hub seal is fine just leave that on unless you also pulled the hub to get opti off then just replace it also. WP & opti seals install dry, no oil.

Dan_the_ManZ28 02-20-2015 08:53 AM

Yeah I have no idea when the water pump was replaced. That's the thing about a used car. Lol. I guess I should do a visual first. If its rusty or looks worn then I'll replace. If it looks new then I might just clean out and reuse. I'm using all ac delco and their water pump is 280$ on summit. And yes I saw a few videos of people replacing the seals and I plan on doing that too. Thanks for the advice! I've been going back and fourth

Dan_the_ManZ28 02-20-2015 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6973419)
Dan.... this is the "Podcast" forum. This where the Administrators post the link to their weekly podcast. Not going to get any tech advice here. I'll move your post to "LT1 Based Engine Tech" where you should get help.

Thanks. I still have no idea how to post a new thread. I feel stupid lol

Injuneer 02-20-2015 10:46 AM

Look at the bottom of the panel, or the top of the panel. In each location there are two boxes... one says "POST REPLY", the other "NEW THREAD".

First make sure you are in the correct forum. At the very bottom of the page is the "Forum Jump" drop down menu, offering the option of which forum you move to.

8cylinders>4 02-21-2015 02:01 PM

Changing out the pump might not be a terrible idea. The original pump on my car lasted 20 years and 155,000 miles.

I noticed when I had it off to build my engine the back bearing seal was missing and the bearing was missing a ball. caught it in just the nick of time!

If its not leaking and the bearing still feels smooth I wouldn't rush to replace it. Sometimes the original equipment is the highest quality parts the car will ever see. Re-mans of any type never seem to last.