CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Shot power steering system after brief heat up? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/shot-power-steering-system-after-brief-heat-up-881283/)

ro2207 12-01-2014 01:35 AM

Shot power steering system after brief heat up?

Last week my LT1 heated up due to a broken radiator hose. As soon as I noticed the temp gauge at 2/3 the way from the red zone, I pulled over and got into a parking lot.

I managed to turn the car off about 3 seconds after the "check gauges" light came on. Just as the indicator light came on, I felt the steering wheel a bit harder than usual.

This weekend I installed new hoses and the car runs fine except for the steering wheel feel.

When I go from lock to lock position y hear some sort of hissing noise. I've decided not to drive the car until I get some feedback on what could be the issue here.

I checked the PS fluid reservoir level and it's at the right mark.
Could my PS pump be dead? The wheel is not rock hard like when you attempt to make turns with the engine off. It is also nowhere as soft as the Honda (:o) I've been using the last few days.

I would really appreciate any input, I want my car back in the street ASAP.

Thanks

Injuneer 12-01-2014 07:07 AM

Re: Shot power steering system after brief heat up?

Is it possible the belt and pulleys are coated with coolant, and the belt is slipping?

Chimera96 12-01-2014 10:24 AM

as Fred notes coolant from your leak likely got on the belt & pullys. even when the coolant dries it leaves a film that likely causes slip thus hard power steering feel.

remove belt and wipe all pulleys well with a warm wet cloth. You may be able to clean the belt or if it is old just replace. if your belt tensioner is old it is advised to change that also

would also be a good time to flush/replace PS fluid

the engine coolant system is isolated from PS fluid system so even though the engine and water temp got hotter the PS fluid itself and the system should not be affected other than the coolant spraying all over the engine bay, including belt & pulleys, so those things need to be cleaned now.

ro2207 12-01-2014 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6970937)
Is it possible the belt and pulleys are coated with coolant, and the belt is slipping?

I didn't notice a coolant mess near the belt. Coolant gushed out the lower radiator hose (the one that connects next to the radiator drain plug). The hose broke from the top part, near the thermostat housing.

I will take the belt off and give it a thorough clean. How can I check if the PS pump is working properly?

Chimera96 12-01-2014 01:27 PM

from this side of the internet we can't see your motor.....with that said I would think a "gushing" leak from a failed radiator hose and the "broke" hose near thermostat housing puked coolant all over the belt and accessories which is why the replies suggest you look/clean the belt & pulleys. It is a fairly simple and no $ task and would then rule out coolant contamination as a cause of your PS problem

if your belt and tensioner has more than 50k mi on it...I would replace. If you then still have a PS problem you could then do a fluid flush to see if the problem goes away. If not than the pump is failing. You first need to do the clean up and fluid change first as either of those could be your problem and fairly simple items to deal with first.

Putting a new PS pump on and keeping a old belt and fading tensioner will not resolve the PS problem if it is due to bad belt & tensioner. Failing PS pumps typically start making noise, leak or the pulley starts to wobble

nikko 12-01-2014 07:25 PM

Yes I had the problem with the water pump leaking on the power steering belt .Thought I had lost my pump Did as is suggested on this forum cleaned pulleys and replace belt .Fixed it right up

ro2207 12-03-2014 12:11 AM

Just ordered a gatorback belt. Will have another look at it this weekend.
I bought some prestone PS fluid last month because I was actually planning to do the PS flush anyway since my '97 car is just about to reach 50k miles.

Last time I took the battery out, I was not able to remove the PS reservoir plastic retainer. Reading the instructions from the Shbox site everything seems fairly easy. Nonetheless, this is my first PS flush ever so any tips are welcome (especially regarding the bleeding part). Should I replace the PS hoses even if they're not leaking?

Chimera96 12-03-2014 12:44 PM

17 year old hoses...well they certainly are not new anymore.

If you are just bleeding than remove the return line (smaller one) from reservoir and plug reservoir. put the return line in a container and crank over engine with coil wire pulled (so motor won't start) and pump out old fluid while keeping the reservoir full before it empties. Connect hose and start motor. turn wheel lock to lock about a dozen times to bleed. Don't hold it to lock, just turn up to that point

If you tried to pump PS fluid by just starting car the fluid will be pumped out in like 2 seconds...so if doing that be quick.

Either way you do it, have a friend help

It is highly advisable to replace belt tensioner also, especially if it is the original 17 year old one.

if replacing hoses you will for the most part purge the fluid in the process. the only fluid left would be what is in the steering box itself which is minimal. You still would need to bleed it once you fill it up

replacing lines is not rocket science but the area you have to work in is tight. You likely need to pull alternator to get a wrench down to the pressure line on back of pump. May need to remove LF tire to access through wheel well to get to PS box to remove lines

ro2207 12-04-2014 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chimera96 (Post 6971014)
17 year old hoses...well they certainly are not new anymore.

If you are just bleeding than remove the return line (smaller one) from reservoir and plug reservoir. put the return line in a container and crank over engine with coil wire pulled (so motor won't start) and pump out old fluid while keeping the reservoir full before it empties. Connect hose and start motor. turn wheel lock to lock about a dozen times to bleed. Don't hold it to lock, just turn up to that point

If you tried to pump PS fluid by just starting car the fluid will be pumped out in like 2 seconds...so if doing that be quick.

Either way you do it, have a friend help

It is highly advisable to replace belt tensioner also, especially if it is the original 17 year old one.

if replacing hoses you will for the most part purge the fluid in the process. the only fluid left would be what is in the steering box itself which is minimal. You still would need to bleed it once you fill it up

replacing lines is not rocket science but the area you have to work in is tight. You likely need to pull alternator to get a wrench down to the pressure line on back of pump. May need to remove LF tire to access through wheel well to get to PS box to remove lines

Belt tensioner was replace a few months ago with a Goodyear unit.

I think the PS lines are discontinued; at least these are no longer available:
26019302 - Return hose
26042640 - Pressure hose

Are there any aftermaket PS hose kits available? Is there a particular hose/line that normally gives trouble? Thanks

ro2207 12-04-2014 11:19 AM

I just bought the following from this diagram:
http://shbox.com/1/steering_system.jpg

ACDelco 36-362430 Professional Power Steering Pressure Line Hose Assembly (#30 diagram)

ACDelco 36-368580 Professional Power Steering Return Line Hose Assembly (#33 diagram)

I'm still missing 1 PS reservoir hose, part #11. Does anyone know a hose that would fit here (gates, acdelco, etc)?

Chimera96 12-04-2014 11:51 AM

that hose may not be made anymore. I have a B-body so don't know if the part # is same as F-body but the Gates # for B-body is 26034975gk

Gates made a batch last year and I got one through rockauto.com but they no longer list it. After several communications with gates a forum member convinced Gates to make a run. IIRC it was like 120 units and the profit margin and demand is low so they stopped making them. They obviously have the ability

you could just use generic hose rated for PS fluid if you can route it without kinking

ro2207 12-04-2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chimera96 (Post 6971032)
that hose may not be made anymore. I have a B-body so don't know if the part # is same as F-body but the Gates # for B-body is 26034975gk

Gates made a batch last year and I got one through rockauto.com but they no longer list it. After several communications with gates a forum member convinced Gates to make a run. IIRC it was like 120 units and the profit margin and demand is low so they stopped making them. They obviously have the ability

you could just use generic hose rated for PS fluid if you can route it without kinking

The original has 3 curves (bends)
93 97 Camaro Z28 Firebird Trans Am LT1 Power Steering Reservoir Supply Line Hose | eBay

Gates 26034975gk might work
http://images.whisystems.com/smartpa...GK-2_FRO_A.jpg

Can any f-body owners confirm?

Chimera96 12-04-2014 03:21 PM

for $10 get the one that is model specific on ebay...looks to be different than B-body one, not surprised it is.

ro2207 12-04-2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chimera96 (Post 6971037)
for $10 get the one that is model specific on ebay...looks to be different than B-body one, not surprised it is.

I really wanted a new hose. The 10$ used hose might not be any better than the one I already have installed

Chimera96 12-04-2014 06:18 PM

I did see the "used" part after I posted.

If you can find one new fine. Of the 3 lines involved it is not a high pressure line

If it doesn't have any cracks, clean it up and re-use the fill hose