CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   SFC's.. stronger if you cut through the floor? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/sfcs-stronger-if-you-cut-through-floor-243535/)

Knightrider794 03-30-2004 09:07 AM

SFC's.. stronger if you cut through the floor?

I have a guy that builds my exhaust and does other welding for me.. he used to build NHRA drag chassis... I asked him for a quote on making me weld in SFC's, and he said about $550(for installation too) The reason they cost so much is because he said he would like to cut the floor pan that hangs down between the subframes and just weld the connectors straight in between them. The floor would be raised a tiny bit inside the car, over top of the connectors there, which wouldnt be too much of a problem i think.. He said that doing it this way would make it the strongest compared to how some of the other aftermarket SFC's are designed.. Can anyone tell me whether or not it would really be worth it to do it like this??.. I would have him make a middle cross brace like the Kenny Brown's too. I was looking at the KBDD's before i talked with him about making me ones anyway.. What do u guys think?

Serene 03-30-2004 10:06 AM

Cant imagine it being any stronger.

Sounds like a waste of money to me. Just buy a 140 dollar set and have them installed for 50 bucks

Red96Lt1 03-30-2004 10:11 AM

Yeah, I would say for that much money, you could put it toward other suspension parts for better handling. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Knightrider794 03-30-2004 10:19 AM

Ok.. i guess ill probably just go with Kenny Browns.. i just gotta make sure that they wont interfere with my exhaust though.. Does anyone have pics of them mounted on the car?? I like to see them on so that i know they will be able to fit right..

IDOXLR8 03-30-2004 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Knightrider794
Ok.. i guess ill probably just go with Kenny Browns.. i just gotta make sure that they wont interfere with my exhaust though.. Does anyone have pics of them mounted on the car?? I like to see them on so that i know they will be able to fit right..
If you are determined to get a diamond style SFC then I would go with an SLP. :)

bdc95ta 03-30-2004 11:34 AM

why slp over kbdd

IDOXLR8 03-30-2004 11:46 AM

Originally posted by bdc95ta
why slp over kbdd
For one they are cheaper and I remember a while back someone stating that the KBDD are poorly welded.

bdc95ta 03-30-2004 11:58 AM

huh that's interesting I've always heard kbdd's are great. Overkill for most applications, but good.

Xride 03-30-2004 01:08 PM

Originally posted by IDOXLR8
For one they are cheaper and I remember a while back someone stating that the KBDD are poorly welded.
Thats what I heard too, so thats why on both my cars I used SLP's

they are great, dont lessen ground clearence much, but they do make it so that they hit and not your tranny on them mountian range speedbumps.

JoeliusZ28 03-30-2004 03:20 PM

:confused:

My kbdd's are just fine... check out page two in my sig:cool: