CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   security light (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/security-light-882434/)

blac94Z 05-20-2015 11:01 AM

security light

why does my car make the security light come on
and makes the car not start but i have to unplug the single
relay that the ignition switch is connected to until the light goes out then
plug the relay back in and then it will start? anyone ever have this odd steps

Injuneer 05-20-2015 12:59 PM

Re: security light

Do you mean the theft deterrent relay?

blac94Z 05-20-2015 01:25 PM

I think so im not sure of the name/ it has a green and two yellow wire coming from the connector to the relay

Injuneer 05-20-2015 03:16 PM

Theft deterrent relay has 4 wires - 2 yellow, one purple, one yellow/black.

You pull the relay, the SECURITY light goes out, and the engine starts. When does the SECURITY light come on again? Is it always staying on solid, not flashing?

When the SECURITY light is on, does the starter engage, and crank the engine, just won't start? Or does is disable both the starter and the fuel?

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-PassKey/VATS

blac94Z 05-21-2015 11:08 AM

if the light comes on it stays on solid and when I pull the relay and wait 3 mins or so the light will go out like it reset and then im able to start the car, while the light is on
the starter will not engage and I don't think the fuel pump is coming on either

Injuneer 05-21-2015 02:13 PM

What you may be seeing is the Theft Deterrent Module (TDM) reacting to in incorrect resistance value. This if from Rob/Shoebox's guide to the PASS-Key system:

Abnormal Operation

If the key pellet is the wrong value, the TDM will not send signals to allow the starter to engage or fuel to the engine. The TDM will shut down for ~3 minutes and the SECURITY lamp will remain lit with the key ON or OFF. When the ~3 minute timer has expired and the key is cycled from OFF to ON, the TDM timer is reset. If you try a key with the correct pellet value, the engine should start and run. SECURITY lamp should be off. If there is still a problem with reading the key, the TDM will light the SECURITY lamp and start the ~3 minute timer again.
You have to figure out what relay you are unplugging, and why that allows the correct resistance signal to get to the TDM when you unplug and reconnect the connector.

You indicate it has a green wire and two yellow wires. Where is it located? Does it look like a GM part, or is it possibly aftermarket?

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-PassKey/VATS

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.jpg

timnfxr 05-21-2015 04:36 PM

For what its worth, I had a similar problem with the Security light ON after doing some maintenance and got grease from my grubby hands on it. Wipe it with a soft rag which corrected the problem. Hope yours is as simple.

94Z28LS1toLT1 05-22-2015 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=blac94Z;6976821]why does my car make the security light come on
and makes the car not start but i have to unplug the single
relay that the ignition switch is connected to until the light goes out then
plug the relay back in and then it will start? anyone ever have this odd steps[/QUOTE
Any luck bro on ur security light

blac94Z 06-09-2015 01:47 PM

no luck and I think its overloading the pink wires running to the ignition switch bc my harness got burned again , what could be causing the two pink wires going to the ignition switch to keep burning up/ I traced the pink wires down and I found that the prev owner had a alarm hook into the car and two wires run into the pink wires could this be part of my problem

shoebox 06-09-2015 02:44 PM

Anything added could cause more current draw than what the stock system can handle safely. Relays should be used to handle anything with high current needs.

blac94Z 06-10-2015 01:08 PM

ok I have a update now I took all the black tape from under my dash and zip ties now I can see I have a viper alarm system that runs from the relay that I mentioned with the
2 yellow wires -1 green wire-1 orange and 1 black
the yellow wires are (black taped) to the pink wire for the ignition
could this be possibly causing my problems and under the hood I noticed that the
alt. red wire runs to the batt. junction wire the all the fusible links are connected

blac94Z 06-11-2015 06:17 PM

Bumpp