LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rod Knock or possibly a piece of carbon build up making knocking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Re: Rod Knock or possibly a piece of carbon build up making knocking sound?

The RXP Works great! I have used it in other engines just to remove water in gas and clean the injectors. Just took apart a Pontiac 400 engine due to loud suspected rod knock & found carbon buildup on a couple of piston tops. Should have suspected this first but didn't expect the super loud knocking & was sure it was bottom end. Another option is to take your garden hose with a nozzle set on mist or fine spray & spray into the carb with engine running at 2000+ rpm. This cold shocks the carbon & release it hopefully out the exhaust valve. There is also an old aviation trick to remove combustion chamber carbon.
www.rxp.com tiny little 2.5 oz bright orange bottle

Last edited by Adam Khan; 02-05-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Left out info.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:22 PM

Man, 12+ year old thread...
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by shoebox
Man, 12+ year old thread...
Yup.... Thread Starter has not signed into this site for over 10 years. Sounds like a commercial for RXP, whatever that is.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:01 PM

No commercial. This forum/ thread Just popped up while I did a Google search for knock from carbon buildup. The posts prior spelled it rpx. I'm just correcting it because I still use/ have used that product in the past many times to fix fuel issues for my customers cars especially water in the gas & carbon removal from the combustion chamber.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:30 AM

Smile Re: Rod Knock or possibly a piece of carbon build up making knocking sound?

Just joined today and am the newest proud owner/victim of a rode hard yard mistake but I got a sweet deal and Rod knock is my issue but the cold oil pressure is decent but it dumps under load as she heats... Knock comes and goes and growls like bad gears sometimes as well... Ugly enough that I've stopped driving it at all. Have access to cheap parts (uncle is a 35yr commercial parts guy major brand store) he knows everyone inside 100 miles who wrenches. Grabbed it up stupid cheap as he had it listed for $800 and I didn't pay that lol

so glad you guys leave stuff like this for new guys like me... Thank you for the info and the site.

contact me if we can horse trade for an LT1 motor inside 5 hrs from Maine

anybody got some performance parts the wife is trying to get you to sell...I just got a divorce so let me know cuz I can buy anything I want now!