CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Replacing ignition switch...NEED HELP! (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/replacing-ignition-switch-need-help-167383/)

Twice The Fun 09-08-2003 04:06 PM

Replacing ignition switch...NEED HELP!

i finally found the damned thing thanks to ShoeBoxes website :bow: , now i just need to know what exactly to do to get to it (remove dash i assume) and what to pull of and where,etc...basically some deatiled instructions. Thanks to anyone who replies.

-Beau

shoebox 09-08-2003 05:29 PM

You must have missed the ignition switch R&R on my site. Look in the "How To's".

Mr Kevlar 09-08-2003 06:06 PM

Yeah, Use Shoebox's Guide, That's what I used and it helped out great. I had to drop the steering column and detach it from the shaft in the engine bay. Not too tough to do, but it can be a headache.

SinisterSS 09-08-2003 10:28 PM

Just did mine yesterday. Knew I should have looked at ShoeBoxe's site first - doh.

Did mine by dropping the lower dash panel, unbolting the triangular brace under that panel, removing the three bolts where the column goes through the firewall (10 mm socket) and then removing the two nuts (13 mm) holding the steering column up to the dash. Unplug the harness to the two switches on the column, unscrew the high/low beam switch (5/16" socket) and then remove the phillips screw holding down the ignition switch.

On my replacement, without disconnecting the shaft under the hood, it was a little tight getting to the switches (yes, the high/low beam switch needs to come off too).

Definitely recommend disco'ing the shaft under the hood and have the column out in front of you, would make the switch swap a ton easier.

And check the operation of the ignition switch and the how/low beam switch before you bolt the column back in. No need to have battery connected during this, just check the physical feel of the two switches, you'll be able to tell if something is not right. Had to tweak my high/low switch a few times to get the feel just right even with putting the 3/32" drill bit in.

Ryan94ZA4 09-09-2003 01:29 AM

Sheesh. Must be that time of the year. My wife's died in the vert last night and I replaced it this morning.

Ryan

S8ER95Z 09-09-2003 12:19 PM

Small hands..lots of patience..and oh yeah..it hurts ;) Lots of tiny cuts here and there ;)

LOL

Twice The Fun 09-09-2003 01:32 PM

thanks for all the replies, gonna start out it here in a few....hopefully all goes well.

Twice The Fun 09-09-2003 07:50 PM

thanks for all the help especially your site shoebox....i ended up not pulling the column just dropping it and working around...good thing im a little guy with small hands....i was lying on the floorboard most of the time....but after 7 hours :D its finally done....the only thing i notice now is the key cylinder feels a little bit different....a little stiffer i guess u could say...any ideas what that could be???

but its fixed and running, im happy, again thans for all the help :bow:

SinisterSS 09-09-2003 08:07 PM

Mine key switch is stiffer too. The new ignition switch is still tight and will most likely work itself loose as time goes by, you know...all the way to not working again, lol.

Twice The Fun 09-10-2003 03:40 PM

thanks, next time ill be pulling the column for sure...it will be a hell of a lot easier, except for the A4 Park/Lock cable, may be hard to slide through

Z95m6 09-10-2003 03:49 PM

yeah i wished i would of seen this post earlier so i could advised you to drop the column. The first time i did it with out dropping the column and it was a pita. It took me forever and i didn't get it adjusted perfectly. After about 6 months i went back into adjust it and i just pulled the whole column. Much easier and i was able to do it right this time.

Twice The Fun 09-10-2003 11:59 PM

i think i am going to have to adjust again...the key just doesnt feel the same, ill let it plays itself out just in case its nothing big....at least know i know what to do

header install is 2morrow! :D

Robert Dikes 05-20-2019 05:41 PM

Re: Replacing ignition switch...NEED HELP!

Originally Posted by Twice The Fun (Post 1307487)
i finally found the damned thing thanks to ShoeBoxes website :bow: , now i just need to know what exactly to do to get to it (remove dash i assume) and what to pull of and where,etc...basically some deatiled instructions. Thanks to anyone who replies.

-Beau

Wish I seen this before just played dealership $725 to replace switch and ignition.

Injuneer 05-21-2019 10:36 AM

Re: Replacing ignition switch...NEED HELP!

Whenever you need help with your car:

1) Ask here

2) Check Shbox.com. He has cost saving info on every aspect of the LT1.

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids