CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Replaced Ignition Coil Still have Issue... (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/replaced-ignition-coil-still-have-issue-119081/)

TDog 05-11-2003 04:50 PM

Replaced Ignition Coil Still have Issue...

What's up Fella's,

I just finished swaping out my ignition coil on my '95 Z (145,000 miles) and I'm still experiencing the jerky/skipping feeling throughout the rpm range...

Is it my Opti...That's what I would think...Help me if you can...

I do hear a crackling sound every once and a while while I'm driving...not sure if it's related...

Take care,
TIM

cals400ex 05-11-2003 06:07 PM

it could be a variety of things. usually the coil causes a high rpm miss. how old is the opti? how old are the plugs/wires? how old is the coil wire? are all the plugs in snug and is there a good connection from the wires on each plug and on the opti?

TDog 05-11-2003 08:36 PM

Opti was changed at 70,000 miles...Spark plugs and wires were chagned at about 80,000 miles...Coil Wire has never been changed...

What exactly does an opti going out feel like...

Thanks,
TIM

Indy93Z28 05-11-2003 08:38 PM

A bad opti feels like a jerking when accelerating through low rpms and has a high rpm miss.

shoebox 05-11-2003 10:22 PM

If that "crackling sound" is plug wires arcing, then you have found your miss. Take a look at it in the dark and see if you see any fireworks.

Wildwill532 05-11-2003 11:59 PM

what is arching wires? ive got that damn miss and it keeps getting worse, ive changed all the plugs and the wires seem fine just odd that only the dirivers side muffler will pop i dont have an X or Y or H i just have the lt's and header mufflers, but this is pissing me off almost makes me want to be a ford fan. NOTTTT :) but when i see the ses flashing and it stumbles it pisses me off but then it will stop for a while and miss and vibrate like a damn idiot with a beat box in the trunk!

chasmanz28 05-12-2003 12:04 AM

Originally posted by TDog
Opti was changed at 70,000 miles...Spark plugs and wires were chagned at about 80,000 miles...Coil Wire has never been changed...

What exactly does an opti going out feel like...

Thanks,
TIM

when you replaced the coil you should have replaced the wire too, there only a couple of bucks

Wildwill532 05-12-2003 12:08 AM

i hope its something stupid and simple but i think its the opti from all the post i head read and all that, i mean it poored like hell a few days ago i drove home fine and the next damn the damn thing was bucking like a damn horse so im sure thats what it has to be and i dont know about arching wires or what this damn coil thing is everyone says might be dirty do i have to take off the opti to see this coil or what>?

O2Bsogood 05-12-2003 12:54 AM

If you haven't already, you need to replace the coil wire. My dad's Ford F-150 had a bad coil wire. It was clicking and the truck had a bad miss. He took the coil wire off and both ends were black as hell and upon further inspection we noticed it was a spark plug wire and not a coil wire. We cleaned the cap and put on a new coil wire and it runs great. Oh, we also replaced the coil, but that's what we thought it was at first, and it didn't affect the way it ran.

cals400ex 05-12-2003 01:55 AM

when they say check for arching, they mean look under the hood in the dark. you may see some current or sparks under from one of the wires. at night, if you don't see sparks under there, they are not arching. it very well could be the opti. if the coil wire was never changed, that would be a good place to start. also, with you having 80K on your plugs/wires you may want to replace those also.

Wildwill532 05-12-2003 06:50 AM

do i have to take off the opti to check the coil wire you all are talking about i dont know what it even looks like?

TDog 05-12-2003 07:27 AM

I guess I'll just invest in an all around tune up...

New plugs, wires, opti, and coil wire...
Even if everything isn't bad...it'll have to be replaced eventually anyway...Everything has at least 80k miles on 'em....

Thanks guys,
TIM