CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Quick o2 sensor question, P0153 (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/quick-o2-sensor-question-p0153-277931/)

Blue96z28 07-01-2004 10:47 PM

Quick o2 sensor question, P0153

Well my SES light just came on today, and i got it scanned and it was P0153, which i know is an o2 sensor problem.

I believe its the passenger side, pre-cat sensor, slow response....code? is that correct.

Here's the deal, the two front sensors and nearly new AC ones, probably 10,000 miles on them, maybe even less. But I just installed a stailess works ypipe, a couple days ago, but i have programmed my comp. from madz28 for the back to o2 sensors. Is that code for the back, i hope its not for the front. What are my options.....could it be another problem.

Any help would be appreciated....please.:confused:

transram97 07-02-2004 12:03 AM

do you know what bank it is?

Blue96z28 07-02-2004 04:34 AM

I believe its bank 2, sensor 1? I could be mistaken.....

Can anyone tell me if the y-pipe caused a reading problem with the upstream o2 sesnor???? this is weird, these are new o2s, whats going on here............:(

Injuneer 07-02-2004 06:23 AM

Bank 2 (passenger side), sensor 1 (pre-cat).

How did you remove the sensor from the old pipe - did you spray penetrating oil on it? Did you drop the sensor while it was out, or touch it with dirty hands? Did you incorrectly apply anti-sieze to it or any thread lubricant before reinstalling it? Did you use any silicon based materials (e.g. non-sensor safe RTV) as part of the Y-pipe install?

Blue96z28 07-03-2004 12:43 AM

While the stock ypipe was installed I sprayed penetrating oil all over the blots and what not from the bottom to removed them.....and when i installed the ypipe i used the orange sensor safe high temp silicone.....says that all over it. I never removed the sensors at all, i left them in the manifolds during the entire ordeal.....

One more thing, if this could have anything to do with it, i had the most of the ypipe disconnected for a few days and was driving basically straight pipes, then i connected everything up back to stock, and then after two days of driving it goes off....wtf?

My question with the thread then is, that it is impossible for the sensor to go off because of the ypipe then? so it must have been damaged from me i assume? i dont know how, i just dont want to spend $35 on a sensor and time to change it and it set of the SES light again.......

Blue96z28 07-03-2004 05:56 PM

TTT can anyone at least tell me if there is a known problem with removing the cats and setting off a front o2 code.....please.

transram97 07-04-2004 12:44 PM

no. there should be no problem. it probably got damaged somehow. replace it and everything will be fine.

stereomandan 07-04-2004 03:19 PM

I would try swapping the sensors from one side to the other, and see if the code follows the sensor. If it does, then you know it's the sensor that is bad, and not the wiring.

Dan

Blue96z28 07-05-2004 10:14 PM

Originally posted by stereomandan
I would try swapping the sensors from one side to the other, and see if the code follows the sensor. If it does, then you know it's the sensor that is bad, and not the wiring.

Dan

Yeah, thats what i'll probably do.....If it just was'nt a damn LT1, i would've already done that 10 times by now, but i just dont like doing any work like that, unless i know for sure i am going to accomplish something, in the 10 hours it takes just to get a wrench in there.

Blue96z28 09-07-2004 01:33 PM

Re: Quick o2 sensor question, P0133

Alright I'am pissed:

I changed the drivers site O2 sensor(since the code was PO133) wth a brand new AC one, reseted the computer, and the code still came back. I kept driving it, put at least 500 mi on it and it keeps comig on and off. What do I do? Is this affecting my gas milage?

Did i just get screwed on my programming from madz28.com? They back o2's were supposed to be programmed out, can they affect the fronts like that?

Blue96z28 09-08-2004 03:08 PM

Re: Quick o2 sensor question, P0153

anyone? please?

StickMaster 09-08-2004 03:16 PM

It must be the wiring for the o2 check the wires and follow them up to...wherever they go. maybe you pinched/burnt w/ the new ypipe?

Blue96z28 09-08-2004 03:17 PM

I checked pretty hard core, is there reason this should be happening?

Injuneer 09-08-2004 04:18 PM

The pre-cat sensors will not be affected by a missing or dead cat, and they will not be affected by having the after-cat sensors programmed out. I doubt you got "screwed" on the programming. Did you ask him what he thinks of the problem?

Did you try switching the sensors side-to-side as suggested and as you said you would do?

Are you really sure that it was P0133? Confusing, since you started out with P0153.

Blue96z28 09-08-2004 07:34 PM

Yeah, i switched side to side, same effect on the problem, then i replaced it with a new one, same, im sure its P0133, whats happening is that im getting it scanned at autozone, and the first time i got it scanned i looked at the readout and then made the original post from memory an hour later, i could have remembered it wrong, or it could have been the front passenger side code that time. The rest im sure of: I started writing them down, Then i reseted the computer, waited, it came back, as P0133, then i switched sides reset it, it came back p0133, then i bought a new sensor, put it in, waited for it to go off 100-200mi, it didnt, so i reset it, came back, always p0133 slow response, here i am :bow: asking for help.

I just emailed him today, i didnt want to ask him that cuz it would look pretty dumb without going into huge detail, ie the millions of problems that could be causing that.

Its not a random event, i've had the car for nearly 3 years, never had a ses light for o2 related problems, i had changed those sensors, less than 10k miles before i removed the cats, the next day after i remove them i have the code.