LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

pulled motor and tranny need advice before new motor goes in

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:24 AM

pulled motor and tranny need advice before new motor goes in

i pulled my motor and tranny out this weekend (out the top and my first motor pull ever) and now i have several questions. Car is 96 firebird ws-6. First one is recomendations for cleaning engine bay(dont have water access in my shop).

2 best way to clean parts that will transpant over to new longblock particularly the opti and I will only be needing the optical sensor part of it as going with ltcc.

3 had so much leakage from various locations and car sat for nearly a year and a half that I cant tell if the power steering pump was leaking or just the lines. I plan to replace lines as car has 160,000 on it should I replace ps pump or what do you think.

4 i will be losing the egr and all that and didnt take good note of vacuum line placement so were is the best place to find a detailed schematic for that as I plan to replace all lines

5 since the tranny is out (t56) any thing recomended with it before putting it back. (has a fresh spec clutch but may need unwieghted flywheel wt the forged internals of new stroker motor)

6 any parts or sensors that I should also test or replace at this time besides water pump.

7 I want to learn the tuning end of things as well and really need good program for datalogging yet the obd2 stuff is much more expensive than obd1 and considered converting to a 95 pcm to save money or do the obd2 have better capabilities?

8 would an afr guage be a worthwhile investment. I will be shooting n2o 150-200 and since will all be email tunes(until I know what Im doing and have my own software and hardware) and will need initial tune as well as fine tuning after breakin and would like to tune the n2o jetting also so to me it seems it would be a safety factor worth a few bucks.

9 any other recomendations before or during new motor install.

Thanks for any advice
Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 AM

Re: pulled motor and tranny need advice before new motor goes in

1.) Without water your best bet is Simple Green, rags, and tons of elbow grease. To really get the engine bay clean though removal of everything is preferred (wiring harnesses, brackets, EVERYTHING).

2.) Cleaning parts individually is a PITA - just attack each part one by one with a brush, degreaser, etc. A parts washer comes in incredibly handy though. Sometimes if something just refuses to come clean you can paint over it and make it look new.

3.) The PS pump is something that doesn't usually go bad. If it spins freely by hand then I wouldn't worry about replacing it. The lines are special high pressure hoses and last a LONG time.

4.) shbox.com has everything you need.

5.) I'm not a 6-speed guy so I can't help you there.

6.) In my opinion not really. Sometimes replacing perfectly good parts with junk aftermarket parts complicates things. If it ain't broke don't fix it. About the ONLY thing I would consider replacing are your O2s.

7.) I'm an OBDI guy, so can't help you there.

8.) YES. Well worth the $$$. Just make sure you pick up a GOOD gauge - not one of those crappy narrow-band gauges.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
1.) Without water your best bet is Simple Green, rags, and tons of elbow grease. To really get the engine bay clean though removal of everything is preferred (wiring harnesses, brackets, EVERYTHING).

2.) Cleaning parts individually is a PITA - just attack each part one by one with a brush, degreaser, etc. A parts washer comes in incredibly handy though. Sometimes if something just refuses to come clean you can paint over it and make it look new.

3.) The PS pump is something that doesn't usually go bad. If it spins freely by hand then I wouldn't worry about replacing it. The lines are special high pressure hoses and last a LONG time.

4.) shbox.com has everything you need.

5.) I'm not a 6-speed guy so I can't help you there.

6.) In my opinion not really. Sometimes replacing perfectly good parts with junk aftermarket parts complicates things. If it ain't broke don't fix it. About the ONLY thing I would consider replacing are your O2s.

7.) I'm an OBDI guy, so can't help you there.

8.) YES. Well worth the $$$. Just make sure you pick up a GOOD gauge - not one of those crappy narrow-band gauges.
If your putting new headers on (not sure if painted ones do this) but ceramic coated headers can wreck havoc on your O2's until they are broken in. I myself had to replace both of mine. So, maybe keep it in mind, but don't put new one's in with fresh CERAMIC headers.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 AM

thanks guys. i read that about the o2's and the coated headers and the reminder is good. Im probably going duel exhaust with xpipe so the wideband sensor for the afr gauge should go in the x? Does anyone run or make the afr guage with sensor on both sides(or two guages) or is that overkill on a medium build daily driver.(hopefully close to 400 rwhp before the 200hp shot of n2o)
Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Honestly if your building a stroker motor and going to be shooting spray down its throat i wouldn't go with an email tune. Id take it to a professional and have it dyno tuned. What you can do depending on how often you plan on spraying it is get the tuning software and download it onto your laptop. Also get the cables to hook from the laptop to your obdII port. When you get it dyno tuned have them tune it with your computer and software and then save it into the computer.That way if your just driving around you have the tune for just the motor but if your going to race and spray it you can swap the spray tune into the car before you race so as to not to break anything.