CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Please help asap..no start and back firing (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/please-help-asap-no-start-back-firing-887069/)

Marshmaro 11-15-2018 07:45 PM

Please help asap..no start and back firing

I gave it a decent amount of throttle from a stop and the Trac control kicked on and it back fired about 5 tines then died.. It now won't start and back fired still. I only cranked it with and without giving it throttle both with the same result,nothing..fuel pump primes and it's throwing no codes that would pertain to this. Could is be my crank shaft position sensor? The car occasionally did have a longer than normal crank at start and sometimes would run for a second or two after I turned off the ignition .. It is a 1997 z28 lt1 a4..

Injuneer 11-15-2018 10:51 PM

Re: Please help asap..no start and back firing

This is not an “Advanced Tech” topic. We've tried to make it clear in the “sticky” posts what belongs and doesn’t belong here.

I'll move this to “LT1 Based Engine Tech”, where it belongs.

What codes do you have, that you don't feel pertain to this?

The crank position sensor (CKP) does not have anything to do with starting the engine or keeping the engine running. It was only added to the LT1 in 1996 to meet the OBD-2 requirement for misfire detection.

Do you have spark at the plugs? If not, do you have spark at the coil wire? How old is the Opti, and what brand? Possible the rotor may have come loose.

Marshmaro 11-16-2018 09:55 PM

Agh...stumped so just gonna have it taken in and will report back on what caused it..
reason I thought crank sensor was my 99 Silverado experienced same exact problems and that was the cause .

Injuneer 11-17-2018 10:20 AM

You said you have codes... what are they?

Marshmaro 11-17-2018 02:05 PM

It's at the shop now.
I don't recall the #s off hand but there were 2 that were related to the cooling fans because I have them wired to come on when the ignition is turned on

Marshmaro 12-02-2018 09:06 PM

SHE'S ALIVE ..after the job , turned the key N fired rite up and didn't have to tinker.
I can't believe it even ran at all, noneless with such minimal minimal issues..
Well,look at them..one plug was even broke in half and only thing holding it together was the spark plug wire..
I didn't have time to make a drain tube for the opti but I don't see a need to tap it, you can buy little L
screw in things make from plastic at a hardware store and run a clear rubber tube then to see even the most minimal leaks..but,I just ran out of time.
Anyways some porcelain was broke off n missing behind the electrode tip on a few plugs , a few others there was NO electrode at all it was barely there on a few and was so far gone the porcelain protruded more..lol unreal
well I cadnt get it to post pics rite now