CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   PCM for less tune (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/pcm-less-tune-887225/)

LT5 02-04-2019 07:48 PM

PCM for less tune

Just wanted to share with everyone, no dyno run but wow what a difference from the hypertech tune and the pcm for less. Car starts a bit faster, idles fine, and has a nice response compared to before. Overall the car runs alot better, i believe it has alot more torque to as throttle response is crisp, and its braking the tires loose in second now. Hope this helps for anyone wanting one, well worth the 200!

LT5 02-04-2019 09:21 PM

Re: PCM for less tune

Naw not at all, soon as it went in car ran better, then by the time i drive about 8 miles to work and on the way back it was even more noticeable how well this thing is tuned. Honestly it feels like i have the entire power band at my control now like an ls1 thats tuned well, cant wait to see what or how it feels with a real ignition box!!

Chimera96 02-05-2019 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by LT5 (Post 7001662)
, cant wait to see what or how it feels with a real ignition box!!

ignition box won't give you much on a stock or mild build. Won't hurt anything though.

Swapping over to a 96 coil would be more of an improvement

Injuneer 02-05-2019 10:26 AM

Interesting report. Over at ltxtech.com, their has been a lot of criticism of pcmforless since Bryan "retired" and Keith took over the mail order tuning. Has Brian returned?

Chimera96 02-05-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 7001672)
Interesting report. Over at ltxtech.com, their has been a lot of criticism of pcmforless since Bryan "retired" and Keith took over the mail order tuning. Has Brian returned?

^^^^^, if there is one common thread about pcm4less...they have a large amount of complaints about their tunes

Op seems to be one of few who seems happy....although SOP is not a good indicator of any "performance" gain. B&A dyno results, or time slips, are regarded as real indicators

LT5 02-05-2019 07:56 PM

Honestly i dealt with Keith and he knows how to tune, thing runs strong all the way to 6k, especially the throttle response is what i really noticed. On the bad side i noticed he set the rev limiter to 6200, i know these don't make power past that but i hate hitting the limiter, a nice shift at 6300 would make going into 3rd alot better. Also i had a hypertech tune on it before, and i told him that, first he said he would give me the 100 back, then he said on those he cannot. So ill see if he gives the 100 back to me or not for the core, because i had no idea that the hypertech one locks the system and i sold it long ago. But as far as a torque and throttle response, this thing runs better and seems to pull a bit harder up top and all over, the biggest difference is the throttle response....it responds like its running right as to before it was not.

Injuneer 02-05-2019 11:19 PM

Probably would see an improvement over the Hypertech. A dyno test done by one of the high performance mags (and this is probably 20 years ago) showed a loss of power with the Hypertech “performance” tune on a relatively stock 96. Only way they gained power was if the 160° t'stat and revised fan on/off temps were done. A tuner can can pick up 10-15 HP simply be leaning out the overly rich target A/F ratio the stock programming uses for “power enrichment” (~WOT) mode.
I fell for all this BS when I bought my 94 brand new. The only things that showed improved track times were a CAI and 3” Borla catback. No changes at all with things like throttle body air foil, underdrive pulleys, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 8mm Taylor Spiro-Pro wires, and later Taylor 409 (10.4mm) wires, Electromotive 4-coil (SDI/Opti Eliminator) Ignition system, Hypertech programmer (even with the 160° t’stat. Some of those do provide small dyno gains, but not enough to show up in “throttle response”, or improved track times. Even a set of JBL shortie headers did little.

LT5 02-06-2019 08:24 AM

Ive had similar experiences as this is my second camaro, although when i did the alternator and crank pully underdrive from the bbk stuff i did see a nice improvment in how the motor revved it was faster. Ill be adding a box to the coil i got and i hope i see something. Honestly when it comes to RWHP numbers no u don't seem to get ur dollar worth. Simply doing a nice cam or head work is way more cost effective. Personally i just wanna squeez everything i can outta this stock Lt1 and see what i can get.

Injuneer 02-06-2019 12:19 PM

Again, dyno tests show the peak gain from an under drive pulley to be 0.7 HP..... less than 1 HP. You can't feel that small change. An under drive pulley gains HP because it reduces the rotating speed of the accessories, and hence the energy required to accelerate the mass. It is mostly due to slowing down the water pump. An LT1 doesn't have a belt driven water pump. And the pulley can cause poor battery charging at idle.

Drivetrain Modifications #2

Air foil.... 2.2 HP. And some of the air foils block the IAC port and the idle bypass hole, causing problems.

Drivetrain Modifications #4