CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   painted calipers, now brakes don't work!! (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/painted-calipers-now-brakes-dont-work-98581/)

Zio 03-25-2003 03:22 PM

painted calipers, now brakes don't work!!

Hey guys I took my calipers off to paint them. I put them back on and bled the brakes. When i bled them i started at the rear passanger and moved my way closer to the master cylinder. The break petal felt soft but i haven't driven my car all winter so i tought it might have been my imagination. Well they are terriable. I took the back wheels off and put it in gear and when i hit the brakes the rearend doesn't stop. When i bled them until fluid came out right away and there were no signs of air. Also my brake light is on.

Does anyone have any tips for me on fixing this or any ideas of what i did wrong?

thanks
Tom

TS 95Z 03-25-2003 03:29 PM

maybe the paint got them stuck?? are the guide pins clean and greased up?

shoebox 03-25-2003 03:43 PM

If the light is on, you probably have a pressure differential problem between front and back. I would bleed them again and be sure you are doing it correctly.

Zio 03-25-2003 04:01 PM

I will try bleeding them again. I have already done it twice. Can someone tell me if i am doing something wrong?

I start with the rear passenger side, rear driver side,front passenger side, front drive side. I had a friend slowly pump the pedal about 4 times. He held it down while i opened the bleeder screw. i closed the bleeder screw and had him pump it again.
I was bleeding it until fluid came out the instant that i opened the bleeder screw. I went around the car twice and double checked.

Is this the correct way to do it? I will try it again to see if it works this time.

Thanks
Tom

Max 93 03-25-2003 04:08 PM

are you sure you put them on the right side? The bleeder is towards the top.

Zio 03-25-2003 04:10 PM

Yeah i am sure that I put them on the right side. All the bleeders are above the break lines. I checkes that first because i wasn't paying attentiong and almost put the first one on the wrong side.

thanks
Tom

LPEdave 03-25-2003 04:21 PM

It doesn't sound to me like you're bleeding them right. You want

1) pressure on the pedal
2) open the bleeder
3) close the bleeder
4) release pressure on the pedal

repeat for as long as you may see any bubbles of air in the fluid. It sounds to me like you just did it until you saw any fluid, which could still leave plenty of air in the system.

Dave

Zio 03-25-2003 04:27 PM

yeah that is what i did (bled until i saw fluid). I have bled the brakes on about a dozen other cars and that is how i did it and the brakes have always worked fine. I guess i have been doing it wrong. Hopefully you are right and this is my problem.

thanks again
Tom

steve10 03-25-2003 09:55 PM

Don't forget to bleed your abs modulator unit. You probably still have air trapped in the system as you may not have bled them.

There are two bleeder valves on it.

Zio 03-26-2003 08:30 AM

Where is the abs unit and how do i bleed it?