CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   OMG, open long tubes! (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/omg-open-long-tubes-225253/)

soontobeGN 02-15-2004 06:44 PM

OMG, open long tubes!

I spent all of yesterday, this morning and most of the afternoon installing my Jet-Hot long tubes. It wasnt fun, it took about 20 hours and this was with a lift and every tool known to man.

So we got done at about 1 o clock today after working through the night, no sleep or breaks. I started the car in the garage bay and my jaw dropped. Open long tubes has to be the greatest sound that I have ever heard, and my car is all stock on the inside. I cant imagine what it would be like with a cam and heads package.

Anyway, with that said I am and will be driving around for the next few days in fear of gettin a ticket for the noise. This defintely is WAAAYYYY too loud for the street. And it rattles the living daylights out of the interior.

Just a few thoughts for anyone thinking of doing this setup.

Paul

ChevyIron 02-15-2004 06:50 PM

Ya definetly wakes up the car,I have a 383 with big ol cam I start it up with the open headers and all hell breaks loose john force eat your heart out lol.The natives get restless though got get the rest of the exhaust done.By the way what did you go with as far as a y pipe?Goodluck with it

soontobeGN 02-15-2004 06:56 PM

im going to do a true dual setup with catco cats and dynomax bullets with an X pipe in between and dumped out the side. I hope that will quiet it down somewhat because right now its screamin "PULL ME OVER!"

also, did you go with emissions equipped headers? and if so, what did you do with the AIR fittings because mine didnt fit the new headers?

Paul

FacelessZ 02-15-2004 06:58 PM

Man when I was running open TPiS long tube headers I had to drive 200 miles to get someone to put a 3" ORY on it...it was great kind of cruising up...a little noticable by the guy next to me but nothing too out of the ordinary...and then SLAMMING it down....I swear I broke 4 or 5 peoples necks...:lol:

Pandamonkey 02-15-2004 07:00 PM

Sounds cool.

Mabye one day.........

zmracing 02-15-2004 07:01 PM

I hope you don't have any problems with yours but I have a friend who drove his on opens headers for a day and it gas fouled his plugs. The o2's were getting a little to much fresh air and giving bad signals to the computer. It idled bad and low rpm cruising sucked, but it ran like a mo fo at WOT, til it fouled the plugs. Just figured I would warn you since the plugs are not a 20 minute job in our cars.
Zack

Spinner 02-15-2004 07:02 PM

That sound alone, if only for a few days, makes ALL the work of putting the long tubes in, worth every minute. :bow:

FacelessZ 02-15-2004 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Spinner
That sound alone, if only for a few days,
:cry: You had me at hello...

Red96Lt1 02-15-2004 07:19 PM

Originally posted by FacelessZ
:cry: You had me at hello...
LOL!!!!! :lol:

soontobeGN 02-15-2004 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Spinner
That sound alone, if only for a few days, makes ALL the work of putting the long tubes in, worth every minute. :bow:
My thoughts exactly. Me and the guy that helped me install the headers were cursing, busting our knuckles, kickin the car, throwing sockets, spiking exhaust manifolds, and basically havin a miserable time all night while working on them. Then we finally finished and fired up the motor and it was totally worth going through all the trouble. We both just looked at each other and were like holy f'n hell!

Paul

FacelessZ 02-15-2004 07:28 PM

Originally posted by soontobeGN
spiking exhaust manifolds

:metal:

LS1_03 02-15-2004 08:10 PM

http://www.boomspeed.com/ls103/openheaders.wav

Heads/236/242/112/Open headers. :) Now you know what it sounds like. :D

LS1_03 02-15-2004 08:18 PM

www.freehomepages.com/andyg/Dyno_Day_Burnout.avi

Same car mentioned above, but it's a video and you get to see the tires go bye-bye. :) It's not quite open headers, it's through a cutout, but it's close enough. :)

hsyr 02-15-2004 08:23 PM

Yea I remember when I first started my car after my LTs went in. I swear I jumped a couple inches in my seat it sounded so good and loud.

Heatmaker 02-15-2004 08:27 PM

Tee hee...Open headers! Ahhhhh yes Lovely sound it makes! ...even though I have crappy ST's for the moment it was louder than F34K...nothing like it....Interior noise was unbarable htough...but damn did it sound good with the windows down...I swear all you could htink was Naaassscaaar when you hit 3K RPM's...my favorite is hte ground trembling and windoww rattling effect! The power! I love it....

"V8...anything less is better off used for bottling beverages"