CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   oil dipstick won't go in for the life of me (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/oil-dipstick-wont-go-life-me-608455/)

Jazsun 05-26-2008 08:12 PM

oil dipstick won't go in for the life of me

Went through the whole ordeal, actually left it in the freezer overnight, lubed it up and tried to put it in. Gets about 1.5 inches in and just stops...nothing. I gave it everything I had until my hand was ****ing dead.. What is the deal w/ this thing?? Is there suppose to be a slight bend toward the end of the stick after the lip, I noticed this on mine.

BCdawg57 05-26-2008 08:16 PM

The bend is supposed to be there to angle down into the pan...mine slid right in.
The only thing i can figure is maybe you are hitting your windage tray in the oil pan...

Jazsun 05-26-2008 08:19 PM

Well it was a royal pita to remove as well...what the hell is up. What if I just cut out like 2 inches of the bottom of it. Also I dont think LT1's have windage trays...could be wrong.

Pontiac_97 05-26-2008 08:24 PM

yeah LT1's have windage trays. did you try taking some fine grit sandpaper(1,000 or 1200) and just sanding off the paint a little? that should help, maybe.

caldercay 05-26-2008 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jazsun (Post 5392674)
Went through the whole ordeal, actually left it in the freezer overnight, lubed it up and tried to put it in. Gets about 1.5 inches in and just stops...nothing. I gave it everything I had until my hand was ****ing dead.. What is the deal w/ this thing?? Is there suppose to be a slight bend toward the end of the stick after the lip, I noticed this on mine.

All it takes is an incredibly small kink along the tube to not allow it to slide in.

I know, I fought with the original tube many times over. I layed it down and rolled it across
a very flat surface and battled with it for an hour to get it straight, yet it would not go
in to the block, even though I was SURE it was absolutely straight.

What was my solution? I spent $18 USD for a new tube (from Chevy), which slid in no problem.

LJM97Z 05-26-2008 08:41 PM

Ok, if you are talking about the "TUBE" itself & not the stick, yes its a PITA to get out & back in, all i did was use a long flathead against the lip & tap it with a hammer, it flew out, then just repete the same process, it is curved, so it'll go so far in then hang up, you need to tap it back down (on that lip) & it'll fall right back in place, you DON"T want to trim any of it, it will go back in, then re-install the security bolt. If its the stick, then like mentioned, there must be a kink in the tube, or its directing the stick at the wrong angle & its not clearing the windage tray, either way, fix it right, don't jimmy rig it lol.

Jazsun 05-26-2008 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by LJM97Z (Post 5392724)
Ok, if you are talking about the "TUBE" itself & not the stick, yes its a PITA to get out & back in, all i did was use a long flathead against the lip & tap it with a hammer, it flew out, then just repete the same process, it is curved, so it'll go so far in then hang up, you need to tap it back down (on that lip) & it'll fall right back in place, you DON"T want to trim any of it, it will go back in, then re-install the security bolt. If its the stick, then like mentioned, there must be a kink in the tube, or its directing the stick at the wrong angle & its not clearing the windage tray, either way, fix it right, don't jimmy rig it lol.

Yes it is the tube I am talking about. I guess I can try using a hammer. It goes in about 1.5 inches then get stuck and when I take it out and look at it, you can tell where the pan started to dig into the side of it.

shoebox 05-26-2008 09:16 PM

The part that inserts into the block must be perfectly straight and installed straight in. If not and you hammer it in, you may break it and really have a mess trying to get the broken part out (if the pan is on).

greenmachinedriver 05-26-2008 09:17 PM

i had problems with mine so i got a universal chrome flexible dipstick tube off e-bay. i spent way to much time messing with the original.

Jazsun 05-26-2008 09:22 PM

What do you think about cutting off the part where it bends? (1.5 inches) I think mine may be bent a little to much in that area.

Jazsun 05-26-2008 09:43 PM

I think I am going to do this, Honestly I dont even care about the dipstick I just dont want oil to come out. I know how much oil it takes to fill it after a change, and I have the low oil light just incase something bad does happen.

ttop1986 05-26-2008 10:40 PM

throw it in the freezer for a bit, and it might slide right in

Jazsun 05-26-2008 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ttop1986 (Post 5392947)
throw it in the freezer for a bit, and it might slide right in

Been there, done that. Refer to OP

ttop1986 05-27-2008 12:35 AM

I just went to check on this thread and read the original post again and realized that I repeated what you already said. :lol: Keep at it. If you can't get it in, just buy a new dipstick.

Jazsun 05-27-2008 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ttop1986 (Post 5393047)
I just went to check on this thread and read the original post again and realized that I repeated what you already said. :lol: Keep at it. If you can't get it in, just buy a new dipstick.

What do you think about cutting off an inch from the bottom, basically the part that curves.