LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New Power Steering Pump - Now No Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:41 PM

New Power Steering Pump - Now No Steering

Hi friends

I hope you're all doing well.

So recently I had a nasty grinding noise coming from my engine bay. I noticed that the pulley on the power steering pump was a little loose, and it wiggled when grabbing onto it and moving side to side. Although I didn't have any trouble with the steering, I was forced to replace it because the noise was unbearable.

While attempting to take it off, I stripped the flare nut on the high pressure hose going to the pump (I'm going to have nightmares about that flare nut). So I ordered a new high pressure power steering hose from AutoZone.

Routing the new hose was a major PITA but I finally maneuvered it in and installed the new pump. I noticed when filling up my reservoir that the fluid in it was very thick, almost like chocolate milk?

When I started the engine, there was a nasty squeal coming from the belt. I must have accidentally spilled PS fluid the AC compressor pulley when removing it. Also, the steering was initially WAY too easy - the wheel turned like butter.

I moved the wheel from lock to lock multiple times, turned off the car and topped off the fluid. When I went to take it for a spin, the power steering seemed to not be working at all. At idle, and at low rpm's - it was basically inoperable. The steering became more normal as the rpm's got higher - then worse as the rpm's went lower.

I definitely plan on replacing the serpentine belt tomorrow, as I read a slipping belt can cause issues with steering. But what do you think is causing the steering to not work at low rpm's? Perhaps the new hose isn't routed correctly and isn't flowing right? I did have to fight with it for quite a while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you so much
Old 12-21-2017, 05:56 PM

Re: New Power Steering Pump - Now No Steering

if the belt and tensioner are old, replace

Assuming the new pump is good, I would flush then bleed the PS system.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:22 AM

Chimera96 - I really appreciate the quick reply.

I read there's a couple different ways to flush the system. With a turkey baster or disconnecting the reservoir. Which do you recommend?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:51 AM

The turkey baster way you do yourself. Remove fluid from reservoir, fill, start car for a min or two, shut off, repeat several times until the fluid becomes "new" looking

The remove return line from reservoir (and plug the return hole in reservoir) method and put that line in a container and start car while filling reservoir takes two people. The fluid will drain from reservoir before you can even get out of the car to re-fill reservoir with engine running which is why it tales two people. It litterly takes seconds for the PS pump to pump the system completely as you add fluid.

I use the two person method for a complete "flush"

Then you bleed the system with the new fluid. Jack front of car up so wheels are off ground and turn wheel lock to lock with engine running about 20 times. Top off reservoir with fluid if needed after bleeding.

If this does not resolve your problem than the "new" pump is bad. I went through 3 WP's before I got a good one. They were all remans. For my B body I can't find a "new" one. Pumps would either make some noise or do the same thing yours does with no low RPM (at idle) assist or not much assist

If you have a lose belt because it is old at stretched and/or a old tensioner that will also cause low RPM PS pump performance as the belt is slipping

Last edited by Chimera96; 12-22-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Administrator

GM makes a “cold climate" power steering fluid. I learned this when I moved with my Formula from southern California to New Jersey. Local Pontiac/Cadillac dealer, a long time friend, showed it to me.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:20 PM

Thank you all so much for your help.

I ended up flushing/bleeding the system and it fixed the problem.

Check out this old fluid!

Thanks again
Old 04-26-2018, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Nasty.....