CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   need soundclips of your "gear whine" (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/need-soundclips-your-gear-whine-81645/)

pu12en12g 02-14-2003 03:50 PM

need soundclips of your "gear whine"

Hey guys, I need soundclips of your "gear whine"

Video clips will work also...

Thanks !

93midnightta 02-14-2003 03:51 PM

i don't have any clips but i can tell you exactly what it sounds like. just imagine someone put a little firetruck in your rear who's siren gets louder when you let of the gas at high speeds.

pu12en12g 02-14-2003 04:58 PM

Originally posted by 93midnightta
i don't have any clips but i can tell you exactly what it sounds like. just imagine someone put a little firetruck in your rear who's siren gets louder when you let of the gas at high speeds.
Is it accompanied by vibration at that time ? Or anything else annoying ?

Can you hear it over and above your car stock stereo at reasonable volume ?

Can you hear it over and above your car aftermarket stereo at reasonable volume ?

Can you hear it over and above your subwoofers if you have them ?

What about normal driving, for example 65-70 mph ?

93midnightta 02-14-2003 05:04 PM

i have a vibration at 2300-2400 rpms. i've had the gears reset twice though...the first time there was no viberation at all and now there is. i've had my aftermarket stereo in my car since i bought it so i couldn't say anything about the stock stereo. my stereo...well you really can't hear anything over it ;) . i have two 10s with infinity kappas all the way around and it will definately outpower the gear whine. im getting new gears in the spring as well as a new driveshaft and having them redone at a different place. properly installed gears don't whine so....

Grease 02-14-2003 05:26 PM

I had Richmonds that whined so bad I thought it was capable of shattering a whine glass. I don't have a sound recording but let me tell you it can get awfully annoying after driving for a while. Enough to a point where I didn't want to drive the car. However I also have a Spohn race torque arm with a solid steel bushing.

pu12en12g 02-14-2003 08:20 PM

Thanks Guys ! !

I'm still hoping someone has a sound clip... I can't imagine what the frequency/pitch of the whine is..

1995redZ28 02-15-2003 10:23 AM

i just got my gears put in the other day and they whine. its a pretty high pitched sound. with the radio on i cant really hear it too much, but when slowing down it is REALLY noticable! does gear whine = BAD??? does that mean something is wrong? i really dont mind the whine that much, im just affraid that they might not be alligned right or something. the shop told me to bring the car back in a week so they can check wear patterns. if your whine is really that bad, maybe you should have the shop check them out.