CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Need help! Walbro pump install, do I have the wrong pump? pics inside (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/need-help-walbro-pump-install-do-i-have-wrong-pump-pics-inside-300079/)

magnumv8 09-11-2004 12:37 PM

Need help! Walbro pump install, do I have the wrong pump? pics inside

I started to install my walbro fuel pump last night, and after seeing the included parts, it doesnt look like it is right. The instructions are for a ford application. There is a rubber gasket that doesnt match anything on the stock setup, the rubber fuel hose is way short looking.

I know these are not supposed to be a direct drop in, but this doesnt look right to me.

Please look at the pics and let me know if this looks like the right parts for an f-body. If so, how do you use the short "s" shaped fuel hose as it doesnt appear to reach from the pump to where the factory line hooks up.

thanks for any help
pics of my walbro

Spinner 09-11-2004 02:56 PM

Re: Need help! Walbro pump install, do I have the wrong pump? pics inside

Generic kit pump. Make it work, or pack it back up, return it, and buy a racetronix.

Fastbird93 09-11-2004 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spinner
or pack it back up, return it, and buy a racetronix.

What he said. Freakin easy install with the Racetronix.

magnumv8 09-11-2004 04:25 PM

I wish I would have just gone with the Racetronix kit now. The problem is that I have had this pump for over 6 months, so returning it really isnt an option.

Fastbird93 09-11-2004 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by magnumv8
I wish I would have just gone with the Racetronix kit now. The problem is that I have had this pump for over 6 months, so returning it really isnt an option.

Doh!!!!

Well, looking at it, the pump should work. what you'll have to do is splice that pump harness in with the stock one, but looking at your pics the one you have should work.

Heatmaker 09-11-2004 07:43 PM

You have the right kit... all you need to use from it really are the pump, the filter, the hose, and the two clips for it. I just reused the old O ring and pump seal... Works fine saved money. Allot of people on here are running and have fone the same thing... To get your pump bucket back on right use Plastic weld and tape the top and bottom together and let it sit over night. Just e-mail me if you need any help.

magnumv8 09-11-2004 09:15 PM

I picked up some epoxy to put the bucket back together, but I still dont see how that short hose will work. I have held it next to the stock and the only way it reaches is if the spring is bent to bring the pump closer to the upper fitting. Do you just do that to hook it up, then the hose straightens out when the spring releases?? What about using a piece of fuel hose from the parts store?

I just want to make sure this works right. Im sure I can make it work, but I just dont like hacking and modding something just to make it fit.

Heatmaker 09-11-2004 09:50 PM

THe hose that came with my kit may have been different but I just hooked it right on up...and clamped it in. IF your 100% sure you can't get the hose to work Pepboys has the standard fuel hose available.

Racetronix 09-12-2004 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by magnumv8
I started to install my walbro fuel pump last night, and after seeing the included parts, it doesnt look like it is right. The instructions are for a ford application. There is a rubber gasket that doesnt match anything on the stock setup, the rubber fuel hose is way short looking.

I know these are not supposed to be a direct drop in, but this doesnt look right to me.

Please look at the pics and let me know if this looks like the right parts for an f-body. If so, how do you use the short "s" shaped fuel hose as it doesnt appear to reach from the pump to where the factory line hooks up.

thanks for any help
pics of my walbro

Wrong pump. You require the F20000169 version in order for the old factory ring to fit the bottom of the pump. The 307 in not recommended for use in the F-LT1 cars when using the bucket.

Wrong filter sock will not fit the bottom of the bucket. The Walbro pumps MUST have a 30 micron filter sock to prevent damage to the gears inside. The factory 70 micron filter sock is bad news.

If you require hose you must use SAE J30R9. Any other type of rubber hose will swell, split and crack in today's gas. This is why we use a flex tube.

Make sure the epoxy you use is gasoline compatible, You would not want the bucket to come apart in the tank.

You will have to splice into the old factory wiring with what you have and use the butt connectors. Inspect the factory male & female terminals on the bulkhead connector for corrosion. This is a very common problem with the older f-body cars.

blwnlt4 09-12-2004 04:21 AM

i say ebay the friggen pump, but thats my 2 cents :D