LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My new 97 z28..time to mod. Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Re: My new 97 z28..time to mod. Need some help

It's your car.... do what you want with it. I was just trying to offer advice based on what I have seen on the site (and others like it) for the past 20 years. No one is forcing you to agree.

With that said, maybe someone you trust can answer your questions in the future.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:16 PM

So I traded a set of 16s that came on my car for pacesetter long tube headers . he even threw in a few cans of header paint too. I did want to do mid-length but the deal on got on these I will just use and build my exhaust from these back..
do I have to use any specific y pipe ? Say, will I have to use the pacesetter one ?:

Old 10-18-2018, 11:35 PM

Did lots of reading on here and now know which gaskets and bolts to use. I will use locking bolts on the headers and end it all coming out of what ever used cat back system I come across .
now. I been looking at heads..this is a budget build by the way as only my spare $ goes into this. With the heads I read the iron heads actually flow better. If this is true I want 96 impala ss heads and can do some porting work on them.
I'm not worried about heat as I have my car running now at a consistent 170 even at a stop in 90degree weather. I like the idea that its iron heads on iron block due to thermal expansion ..are there any aftermarket iron heads ? Am I stupid in this way of thinking or looking over something ? Because I can find good iron heads for dirt cheap if not free, so with a little work on them could they be a decent cheap performance gain ?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:29 AM

I cannot tell you what stock flow numbers are, but most of what I am seeing indicated between 2-10 CFM difference. I also read that the 96/97 aluminum heads flowed equally to the iron heads.

In any case, if you are looking to do any porting, I would not bother with changing heads, as both styles will end up so close when done well, you are just adding cost and weight to your build. To be complete, the cast iron heads weight about double that of their aluminum counterparts.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:26 AM

I'm going to research the flow numbers more on my 97 heads. I'm finding since my car is a 97 it has minor imo upgrades from the previous years. I go and research and read on the fbody cars but most all The info I come across is usually with ones 93 to 95 .
anyways, I cleaned up my headers and re coated them. Would It be good to.then.wrap them ? Or will I possibly run into fitment issues then ?I will also be using the pace setter off road y pipe . I will continue to grab parts every time I have a few extra $.
which leads to me my next few questions. I need some parts numbers and pointers or possibly links to the parts.
i want to use the composite header gaskets
and ​​​some kind of locking bolt for them so I need pointers on finding them things.
any opinions on spark plugs while I'm in there. I do plan on upgrading the coil too if that helps determining which plugs to use..
thanks for bearing with me here guys and gals.

Last edited by Marshmaro; 10-25-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:46 AM

Felpro 1470 for header gaskets
Stage 8 for locking header bolts

do not wrap headers, get them ceramic coated. I have always used Jet Hot

Autolite 106 plugs

stock coil (AC Delco).
Old 10-27-2018, 11:46 AM

Jet hot coating (I actually have Jet Host branded headers) will not keep things from melting in your engine bay. I would buy DEI wire wrapping products for anything that will be within 2" of the headers, or you will be headed for a world of 'fun'.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:48 PM

So I redid the intake..
I ran 4in coming off the stock pinch elbow I call it..now, my kick down doesn't take for ever to kick in after I completely stomp down the petal. Honestly be for after it was to the floor it took like a second and a half for it to finally kick down n haul *****. It also pulls much harder when it kicks down. Throttle response is much better too. My exhaust at idle even sounds healthier and more burly .
now on dry pavement , I broke the tires loose doing 35mph . I can't believe how much of a difference it made stepping up the intake size.. oh and it's pull is relentless I think for such few mods.it will bury the needle with ease .
I used an elbow I.got off ebay that came an airfoil and connects to a composite ported mafs ends, Then to the stock.pinch elbow. Then I bought an ebay 4in cone filter. I then used a 4in to 3in rubber reducer , then a 4in 90 degree pipe I had to cut abit off. I then used 4in pcv pipe about 5in in length to fit the cone filter to the 90 degree pipe in the front bumper. I had to bend up the lip around the stock airbox hole so the 4in pipe could be positioned properly in there so everything could clamp down.
im pretty proud of my pieced together intake and for the price it's fricken awesome and what is is compared to the stock setup is a world of a difference .
what you guys think of it ?

aluminum elbow and airfoil_ 55$
rubber pipes and pvc pipe from HomeDepot_30$
ebay filter_11$
composite ported mafs ends_45$