CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   My lt1 vs 454 BBC el camino (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/my-lt1-vs-454-bbc-el-camino-887255/)

LT5 02-13-2019 07:59 PM

My lt1 vs 454 BBC el camino

Boss at work has a 1970 el camino with a mild built 454, although its not really mild, making 500 hp at the motor and around 550 torque. Hes full weight car, was wondering how bad ima get stomped? I have a bit more mods that are in sig now, such as air foil, tune, and a bit of weight reduction, but i know im in for a big loss on this 1. Any thoughts of how bad? Hes an auto 3 speed.

Phoenix'97 02-14-2019 04:11 PM

Re: My lt1 vs 454 BBC el camino

Originally Posted by LT5 (Post 7001803)
Boss at work has a 1970 el camino with a mild built 454, although its not really mild, making 500 hp at the motor and around 550 torque. Hes full weight car, was wondering how bad ima get stomped? I have a bit more mods that are in sig now, such as air foil, tune, and a bit of weight reduction, but i know im in for a big loss on this 1. Any thoughts of how bad? Hes an auto 3 speed.

You are talking about the second-gen small block LT1, correct, not the 70's LT-1?!

If you have a relatively stock 90's LT1, honestly, I think you will get stomped big time. Big Blocks are known for their torque and it don't matter if he has an older 70's era heavier car, his engine will get that thing moving in a hurry, especially at 500 hp and 550 ft/lbs torque. Unless you have the modifications on your car to better compete against your Boss' El Camino, I would avoid the embarrassment of even making assertions that you can keep up with his car in a race. The LT1 is a small block and your boss has a big block! I am not a whole lot knowledgeable on racing modifications but I am thinking you would need at least a stroked and cammed LT1 to give you a fighting chance, along with the necessary modifications to your exhaust and either nitrous shot or even turbo/twin-turbo forced induction to give you that last bit of high RPM power to capitalize on the stock LT1 intake.

Again, I am not an expert on racing modifications, some other forum members will need to chime in on this aspect. I do know, however, you don't disrespect any driver with a BB engine muscle car from the 1960's and 1970's! I have seen too many tuner imports get castrated by merely revving at these guys!

LT5 02-14-2019 10:06 PM

Well honestly i think with more bolt ons i would not get gapped as bad, and i already told him i knew i would lose...but by how much. So after a few mods i need im going to go in another direction, since im going for the bolt on dyno and track time for Lt1s. If you or anyone has any imput on launching, and how to get the best possible 60 ft times i would love to hear all the advice i can get. Ill run soon this next month at a track and have a base to run off of, dyno is coming next month to. Ill post times and dyno numbers. Im hoping to hit 12s this year and then 11s next year with stock heads, cam,. Going for bolt on record only, weight reduction has already started. If i can get out of the whole like a sun of a bitch it will at least give me that much of a better shot lol. But i know the record is around 11.5. So i still got alot more work to do. Hope to hear from you and anyone!

Rhansen 02-17-2019 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by LT5 (Post 7001816)
...anyone has any imput on launching, and how to get the best possible 60 ft times i would love to hear all the advice i can get. ...

Get sticky tires, practice, & lose the highway gears (if thats what u have) for starters.
Not too sure about a 7.5 rear living through very many hard launches.

LT5 02-17-2019 07:52 PM

I know a spool will be a good upgrade, strange rear? Tires? Mt et streets? i had these before they worked fine.... im thinking if i can launch at 1500 rpm and at least grab and go for a 1.7 60 ft i won't lose to bad. Thoughts?/

Rhansen 02-17-2019 08:49 PM

I wouldn't run a spool on the street with a C clip rear.
Some guys have luck with the 7.5 rears but I haven't, could always run it until it breaks - it might not. A stronger rear end would be a great idea if you plan to do much drag racing though.
Assuming no more mods than in your sig, any DOT drag tire will help, as would bias ply slicks.
Hard to say how you will fare vs. the el camino since I have no real info about that car...

LT5 02-18-2019 08:29 AM

Its a full weight 1970 el camino with a 454 in it. The motor has been built, using old 427 heads, and not sure on the rest, carbed, manifold, ext, full exaust all that. I know it has a cam as it idles like crap lol. He said he usually runs it in the 8th on nitrious but will run me Na.

terminal_crazy 02-18-2019 09:04 AM

I raced my little 305 up against some quick 350/400 ci cars at the run what u brung race meets years ago.
The torquey 305 left most stuff off the line. By 1/8 mile there wasn’t much in it but they sure were moving a hell of a lot faster.If he has a big assed cam and no nitrous to fill the bog, you are probably in with quite a good chance over the 1/8.Fingers crossed for you!Mitch

Rhansen 02-18-2019 03:22 PM

A typical - mostly stock - 4th gen z28 auto around me runs 13.7ish (1/4 mi.) with 2.0x 60' times. Summer air DA is usually 2200+.
Several high schoolers I've seen just deep stage on street tires and seem to do allright in the brackets (though around a tenth slower).

I think if the elky is set up for 1/8th mile (traction & decent converter) and the motor isn't a P.O.S., that you're going to be looking at taillights right from the start.

LT5 02-18-2019 08:05 PM

Naw his motor was professionally built. lol and hes got good tires, 342 gears, and a three speed auto th3400.

LT5 02-19-2019 07:54 PM

Thanks mitch, well when mine is actually running right shes got a damn good amount of torque, i just got to get it running right soon and work on that 60 Thanks Mitch ill let u know results in a month or so lol.