CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Mustang dyno or Dynojet??? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/mustang-dyno-dynojet-262272/)

LT1ponykilla 05-16-2004 03:56 PM

Mustang dyno or Dynojet???

Im gonna have my car dyno tuned this week. There is a Mustang dyno and a Dynojet nearby. Which one would be the most accurate and give me the best tune? I have heard that Mustang dyno's usually give a lower number and you really need to know your exact weight of the car. Can anyone give me some good info on the two of these dyno's? Thanks.

LPEdave 05-16-2004 04:02 PM

If you're going to have it tuned, I'd ask the tuner which dyno he's more familiar with and prefers. That's the critical point here, IMO. The Mustang will have some features that your tuner might like for tuning, that are unrelated to measuring the horsepower (for example ask youself why measuring horsepower requires knowing the weight of the car).

Dave

flyinZ 05-16-2004 04:57 PM

The MD will be more of an accurate tune...b/c you'll be tuning for "real world" characteristics(sp)

KCFormula 05-16-2004 05:07 PM

I dont know too much about the Mustang dynoes, but I have been to a few shops with Dynojet dynoes and they seem to be the benchmark for numbers. From what I hear MDs give lower numbers which might be attributed to not having a correction factor.(Not sure on this)

flyinZ 05-16-2004 05:09 PM

the lower #'s are a result of the MD using an "eddy current" to produce anywhere between 14-1800#'s of "drag" on the rollers...so, it simulates your car being on the road, so the tune would be more accurate,i would think...

rskrause 05-16-2004 05:32 PM

"Accuracy" is irrelevant as the term refers to how close the number generated is to whatever "gold standard" you chose to use. This is not of any importance as a tuning tool. For that purpose, both types are quite good. The characteristics important for a tuning tool are precision, reproducibility, and sensitivity. This refers to the ability of the unit to detect small changes and to give the same reading on repeated measurements (when there is no change in what is being measured). Both the Mustang and the Dynojet will reliably show differences as small as 1-2hp, so both are perfectly adequate for tuning.

IOW: chose based on the qualifications of the tuner, not which dyno is being used.

Rich Krause

madwolf 05-16-2004 05:35 PM

I only use DynoJet dynos and always try to avoid Mustang dynos if I can. The Mustang dyno might be better for seeing how the car behaves under a certain load, but the way the DynoJet outputs the data is just much better, for me at least. I've also had problems with a Mustang dyno yielding inconsistent numbers so I always try to stick to DynoJets if I can.

rskrause 05-16-2004 05:49 PM

Originally posted by madwolf
I only use DynoJet dynos and always try to avoid Mustang dynos if I can. The Mustang dyno might be better for seeing how the car behaves under a certain load, but the way the DynoJet outputs the data is just much better, for me at least. I've also had problems with a Mustang dyno yielding inconsistent numbers so I always try to stick to DynoJets if I can.
Ion: I personally prefer the DJ as well, but in my case it's just familiarity. Thanks for the data about the Mustang. Neither is really very good for fine tuning drivability/part throttle operation. That's best done based on road testing anyway.

Rich

96capricemgr 05-16-2004 05:52 PM

I ran on a Superflow the other day any comments on those? From what they said and you are saying here it sounds like they are more like Mustang Dynos than DJ.

madwolf 05-16-2004 05:55 PM

Originally posted by rskrause
Ion: I personally prefer the DJ as well, but in my case it's just familiarity. Thanks for the data about the Mustang. Neither is really very good for fine tuning drivability/part throttle operation. That's best done based on road testing anyway.

Rich

Rich, I definetely agree with you there... about tweaking the driveability issues on the road instead of the dyno.

Exactly WHY I like the DynoJet more is because you can see the RPM and its corresponding AFR exactly as you need it. While on the Mustang, it gives you some random RPM like 5029.5. Maybe the operators didn't know how to output the data correcly, but this is the kind of graphs I got each time and from different places.

PS. I remember you emailing me about some PCM repair a while ago. Don't know if you still need it, but I can do it now.

rskrause 05-16-2004 06:41 PM

Originally posted by madwolf

SNIP

PS. I remember you emailing me about some PCM repair a while ago. Don't know if you still need it, but I can do it now.

Thanks for keeping it in mind! Got it taken care of though.

Rich

LT1ponykilla 05-16-2004 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the great info guys. The MD is about 5 minutes away and the DJ is about 1.5 hours away. I may drive the extra miles to have the car done right since Im spending the money its gonna cost.