LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Harmonic Balancer vibration...

Old 08-16-2004, 02:45 PM

Harmonic Balancer vibration...

Well guys I had the car towed to my parking spot at my apartment and I narowed down the vibrations to the harmonic balancer wobbling. (For those that don't know I posted 2 days ago about a clunking noise and pulled over immediately)

Since I don't have anywhere to work on the car anymore, nor do I have the tools to do anything at my apartment it looks like I have to give in and do something I really hate to do... take the car into a mechanic.

Any idea on what I could be looking at. Best case scenario I'm hoping for is just a dead balancer...which would be parts (~$73 from Napa) + R&R (no idea). But worst case I'm thinking bearings/crank damage correct? What would be signs of it being more than the balancer?
Old 08-16-2004, 02:59 PM

Re: Harmonic Balancer vibration...

if you need someone to help you fix it, find out if any one is willing to help you around in your area instead of taking it to a mechanic!! thats the worse thing you can do....but take the balancer off and lay it flat on the ground and see if it is bent or straight!!

Randy
Old 08-16-2004, 03:03 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean... when I moved out of my parents house I gave up the most important thing for the car, a garage full of tools. They've since moved as well so now I can't even go there if I wanted to.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:06 PM

find someone with some tools..all you need is a breaker bar and socket and socket wrench....
Old 08-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Administrator

The balancer is actually a "damper", and consists of two metal rings, an inner and an outer, connected by a hard rubber ring. The rubber deteriorates and the damper can wobble. It is unlikely this condition would damage the crank or bearings in the short run. There are people who have posted on this board who completely left the damper off when adding a "sandwich" type U/D pulley, and were able to go back much later and reinstall the damper. The most likely damage to the crank is fatigue in rotational bending.

If its wobbling, you should be able to see it with the engine idling.... the serpentine belt will be moving around.

The removal, in theory is very simple, remove the 3 bolts that hold it on the crank hub, and it falls off. Unfortunately rust buildup often makes this impossible. You might need a few gentle taps of a hammer, or even a 3-jaw puller, configured to work from the inside diameter of the damper. Shoebox has the procedure on his website.

A stock LT1 damper is generally a little more expensive than the prices you listed, but those may be acceptable replacements.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:02 PM

Well guys I pulled the balancer last night and it was infact warped. I priced out a new balancer at the dealers around here and they want ~240... But I also priced out a balancer at Napa for the aforementioned ~73 seen here. I'm planning on picking it up once my room mate gets home and he can give me a lift over to Napa. Thanks Crazy and Fred
Old 08-18-2004, 03:16 PM

yeah, got mine for $80. (btw, mine has broke twice. keep your receipt for your warranty!) i'm just glad you didnt take it to a mechanic to fix it. was going to tell you that you could buy some decent tools to do it for the price that he would charge you.
dave
Old 08-18-2004, 03:25 PM

Heh yeah...believe it or not I was able to pull it with just a ~1' 1/2" drive, whole lotta liquid wrench and elbow grease. Smacked my elbow pretty hard once it did break free though!

Last edited by Jon in SD 97Z; 08-18-2004 at 03:27 PM.