CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   More Coolant Problems (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/more-coolant-problems-271506/)

MikesGreenZ28 06-12-2004 04:30 PM

More Coolant Problems

Ok so I got the ECT sensors changed everything back together and working fine, now today I have a coolant leak and its not from either of the sensors. Its up near the oil pan, I belive the drain plug is there but I dont see how it can leak from that? what about a frost plug in that area? I am going to jack the car up tomorrow and get a better look but if you guys can give me some ideas on what to look for it would be much appreciated!

sniffin94 06-12-2004 09:34 PM

if you blew a freeze plug it would be one hell of a leak. It would dump out faster then you can ad it.check the hoses?

MikesGreenZ28 06-13-2004 10:57 AM

there are no hoses back by the oil pan though, the leak is clearly comming from there. maybe its a drain plug?

RamAir95TA 06-13-2004 11:50 AM

Originally posted by MikesGreenZ28
there are no hoses back by the oil pan though, the leak is clearly comming from there. maybe its a drain plug?
An uncommon place for coolant to leak is at the water pump, where the pump meets the block. I've seen two cars where the water pump has leaked out of the gasket seal. Since it is so confined, it is very difficult to pinpoint and appears to be leaking lower than the source.

If a freeze plug was bad, you would have coolant everywhere.

There are two drain plugs in the block, but them leaking is almost impossible. One is located in the middle of the block on the driver side and is almost impossible to get at, while the other one is on the passenger side and doubles as the knock sensor.

Other than that, you're looking at a blown hose, bad water pump (check the weephole for leakage, likely), blown head gasket, or leaking ECT temperature sender in the head (unlikely). Good luck tracking down your leak.

MikesGreenZ28 06-13-2004 04:08 PM

it was the block heater freeze plug

what happend was somehow the head of the screw holding it in place broke off and coolant was leaking out through the screw hole, it was a PAIN to get it out since the head was busted off, finally got it out, and the new one in though. Everything seems fine now! yay!

sniffin94 06-13-2004 04:23 PM

congrats, that was extremely unlikely, would have been the last thing I checked:D

MikesGreenZ28 06-13-2004 08:13 PM

well the puddle was right under that area so i was under the car looking at it and could see some coolant around it, so i took a screw driver and poked it and a bunch came flying out so I knew that was it.

Hopefully I will not have anymore trouble with my cooing system, i've flushed the rad 3 times this week now. I am good at bleeding the air out now thoguh lol