LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT4 Hotcam and OBDII....ANY 96-97 LT4 hotcam experience pls respond...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 10:57 PM

LT4 Hotcam and OBDII....ANY 96-97 LT4 hotcam experience pls respond...

I'm trying to get some research done in preparation for my cam swap in the very close future. I have a 96Z and want to throw in the LT4 Hotcam. My concern is this, how will the factory computer react to the cam? I have read that the car will run ok with the factory programming after the cam swap. I really want the car not to throw emissions trouble codes after the install. Can someone give me some insight on what OBDII will do after the install? That is assuming I install everything properly.

I have also read that the folks at PCMforless have the LT4 hotcam program nailed perfectly. Does this include the OBDII program or just the OBDI program? Anyone with ANY 96-97 LT4 hotcam experience pls respond. Thx!

btw...this is the setup I want to use...

-Stock LT1 heads
-LT4 Hotcam
-1.6 RR
-LT4 Springs
-SLP shorty headers
-Flowmasters AT Catback
-KN Intake
-LT4KM
-with exception of LT4KM, all stock sensors...MAF, IAT, etc...
-retain all 96 emissions...EGR, AIR, etc

I know that is not the most powerful setup, but I want some extra power that is very street friendly.

Last edited by ACE1252; 03-10-2004 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:11 PM

if you're gonna change the cam, it is recommended you re-program the comp also. Call Bryan at PCMforless or Ion (madwolf) here on the board. They got that cam down.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:27 PM

Your car will run with the stock program, but with some issues. The biggest problem you will encounter is the idle speed being too low. You should also consider getting rid of the egr.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

When I bought my 1996SS with 399 rwhp the guy I bought it from wanted to have the tune changed a bit. When I got it he had the PCM off for a reprogram (OBDI PCM). I drove the car like 900 miles and then for probably a month or two after that with its stock OBDII PCM. The car still ran great, had tons of power, and had no driveability issues. When I put the PCM back in with the new tune, I was a bit disappointed because I didn't feel a seat of the pants difference. So, at least in my experience, my car ran just fine with the stock OBDII PCM and the car had several more mods than just the HOT cam too.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:51 AM

Brent94Z,

It's good to hear that the OBDII PCM will not go crazy with trouble codes on the emissions side of things. I mean, call me crazy, but I like the extra diagnostic codes that OBDII provides. I guess, I believe that it gives me more tabs on if my engine is running properly.

So I take it that all the OBDII emissions stuff was retained? Right?

Oh, btw, Did you have to get the nose of your SS repainted? It may have not been yours, but someone here on this board had documented pics of the nose of a 4th gen F-body getting repainted.

Just to add that SS is a good looking machine. I looked at a 1997 SS before I got my present Z. Looked just like yours and it was bada$$.

Edit: Ahhh, it was you, I just found the pics on your website. Cool. Mine needs the same thing done.

Last edited by ACE1252; 03-10-2004 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by ACE1252
Brent94Z,

It's good to hear that the OBDII PCM will not go crazy with trouble codes on the emissions side of things. I mean, call me crazy, but I like the extra diagnostic codes that OBDII provides. I guess, I believe that it gives me more tabs on if my engine is running properly.

So I take it that all the OBDII emissions stuff was retained? Right?
I had AS&M headers with a custom y-pipe with dual cats and the correct O2 connections.

I had an SES light but knew I had several things done which would cause the light... CAGS was disabled and a fan switch are things that will give the OBDII a SES light. Soooo, I did have an ses light and did not check the codes so I can't say for sure I had zero trouble codes related to emissions. I can say that the SES light did not affect the way the car ran

Originally posted by ACE1252
Oh, btw, Did you have to get the nose of your SS repainted? It may have not been yours, but someone here on this board had documented pics of the nose of a 4th gen F-body getting repainted.

Just to add that SS is a good looking machine. I looked at a 1997 SS before I got my present Z. Looked just like yours and it was bada$$.

Edit: Ahhh, it was you, I just found the pics on your website. Cool. Mine needs the same thing done.
Thanks I had the nose repainted again. This time, however, the guy just kept going all the way to the back bumper

http://www.extreme-z.com/96ss/yellowss.htm
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/ssrepaint.htm
Old 03-10-2004, 08:26 AM

When I installed the hotcam kit last year I drove it for about a week on the stock program. It ran fine but the only problem I had was the RPM's would stay around 2K for a few seconds after I let off the gas when coming to a stop then it would come back to idle. I really didnt drive the car hard that week so I'm not sure what the difference was after the tune, I got the PCMforless hotcam tuning. He mentioned he did something to the PCM to get rid of the RPM problem, not sure what he did but its worked perfect since. And yes, he really knows how to tune for this cam

Last edited by GREGG 97Z; 03-10-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Brent94Z

Thanks I had the nose repainted again. This time, however, the guy just kept going all the way to the back bumper

http://www.extreme-z.com/96ss/yellowss.htm
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/ssrepaint.htm
LOL, on the back bumper!!! Dang, I have seen these car pics before but didn't realize that it was your "formally" black SS. That color looks good and the paint job looks awesome!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by GREGG 97Z
When I installed the hotcam kit last year I drove it for about a week on the stock program. It ran fine but the only problem I had was the RPM's would stay around 2K for a few seconds after I let off the gas when coming to a stop then it would come back to idle. I really didnt drive the car hard that week so I'm not sure what the difference was after the tune, I got the PCMforless hotcam tuning. He mentioned he did something to the PCM to get rid of the RPM problem, not sure what he did but its worked perfect since. And yes, he really knows how to tune for this cam
Excellent!!! On the programming side of things, I have really been nervous. I've been looking forward to getting more power into my Z, but was scared to death that I would never be able to get the computer right. This has helped me major time. Thx guys!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 08:43 AM

Hotcam on a 97 here. I ran the car for about 2 months on the stock program. Same issues as the others mainly being the idle was pretty irratic and sometimes it would stall out on me. Plus you will run pretty rich or at least I did. I am talking so rich people behind you will be flipping the bird

The tune from PCMforLess will help immensely and I felt a definite difference b/w the stock tune and new tune.

Be sure you get some different springs unless you are getting the whole hotcam kit...then just use the springs that come with it.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:14 AM

Yeah, I forgot the springs(added to list).....I believe, I will get the Hotcam kit. I think that will cover all the bases.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by rocmemphis
I am talking so rich people behind you will be flipping the bird
lol, hehe, After winning a run I can say, I literally "smoked" that dude.