LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lt1 hotcam Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:38 PM

Lt1 hotcam Question

Hello,

I could not find an exact answer to my question so sorry if it sounds like a repeat. I can get access to a hotcam at a great price. I also found a shop that would install it at a fair price. I wanted to know that if I upgraded the springs, could I run the hotcam with the stock lt1 rockers? The price the shop quoted me will not always be that cheap, so I would like to take advantage of it while I can. I would possibly later upgrade to roller rockers.

My car has longtube headers, and a cold air intake.

Thank you for any help.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:49 AM

Re: Lt1 hotcam Question

Also, are there any other small cams that would work well with the stock stall converter?
Old 01-29-2019, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by huey.bankai
Hello,

I could not find an exact answer to my question so sorry if it sounds like a repeat. I can get access to a hotcam at a great price. I also found a shop that would install it at a fair price. I wanted to know that if I upgraded the springs, could I run the hotcam with the stock lt1 rockers? The price the shop quoted me will not always be that cheap, so I would like to take advantage of it while I can. I would possibly later upgrade to roller rockers.

My car has longtube headers, and a cold air intake.

Thank you for any help.
I do not have personal first hand experience with it, BUT, i searched the same thing awhile back. What I got from it was yea, you can run it with the stock 1.5 rockers, but you're really restricting the lift. I decided to do valve springs and 1.6 rockers first, still deciding what cam I want. I would definitely do at least valve springs though. Good luck man!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by huey.bankai
Also, are there any other small cams that would work well with the stock stall converter?
yes, a custom grind from Lloyd Elliott

You absolutely need new valve springs compatible with whatever cam you get and you will need a PCM tune so the car will run right and get the performance gain the cam is intended for

1.5 stock rockers will "work" but you will get more performance from the cam with 1:6 RR
Old 01-29-2019, 05:14 PM
ZZ

I'm running the LT4 HOTcam in a ZZ4 which is currently in my 89 stepside pickup now. I ran it with the 1.6 rockers while it was in my Chevelle, then took them out and went with stock rockers just for peace of mind with the truck. I couldn't tell any difference before and after. IMO, save your money. If you do upgrade later, it's just a matter of removing the valve covers, and isn't nearly involved as a cam swap..
Old 01-29-2019, 06:01 PM

Thank you for the help!
Old 01-29-2019, 06:02 PM

I am actually upgrading to the torqhead 24x system. My budget after all this is tight, but I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by having them tune it for the cam in my base tune.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:13 PM

I have another question:

Someone locally is selling a set of 1.6 roller tips. Would this be better than the stocks? I found a good set of valve springs on summit others use.

And also, since my car is a 94, doesn't it already have hardened pushrods? So hypothetically I could get guide-plates, springs(the ones I found work with the stock retainers and everything), and the 1.6 roller rocker?
Old 01-30-2019, 02:49 AM
sbs

You're going to pay someone $$$ to install it for you, and you're wasting $$$ on the 24x system, but you want to nickel and dime the parts that might actually make your car go faster...
If you're paying for labor don't dick around with trying to come up with your own bargain-basement collection of parts. Read some of the hundreds of old cam-only build threads on this and other LTx forums and choose a known-good combination of parts.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:38 PM

Don't waste money on roller tipped rockers. The real benefit is in the roller trunion that full roller rockers have.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:48 PM

After searching I was able to obtain a cc502 cam, 1.5rrs, I purchased springs, pushrods, and guide plates. Also will get valve seals and do the timing chain too. Thank you all for all the help! Will keep you updated with the process.