LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Keyless Entry remote doesn't work correctly

Old 01-14-2003, 10:49 AM

Angry Keyless Entry remote doesn't work correctly

I bought this car in August and I was given two sets of keys with the keyless entry remotes. After a couple months, I noticed that the range was shorter and I had to push the buttons harder to make the remote work, so I started using the spare. After a few weeks, same thing was happening with the spare, so I bought two new batteries and replaced them both. However, neither one of them improved with the new batteries. The trunk button works pretty well, and I have to push the lock button a little harder than I should, but the unlock button is the real problem. I have to push it so I hard I practically break a finger, and it's no fun to stand outside your car in 28 degree weather pushing a button! I can unlock the doors with the key but that's not the best long term solution since I don't like scratching up the door and racing to be the 8 second timer before the alarm goes off.

Any ideas what could be the problem?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:12 AM

Same here, everynow and then it will work ok and at times I have to use the key
Do I just need to invest in an aftermarket alarm / keyless entry ?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:28 AM

Guys I had the same problem. At one point both remotes stopped working. What I tried was, I took the remotes apart and cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol. Put it back together, and everything works great now, just like factory. It’s worth trying.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:41 AM

It's most likely just normal wear and tear. I also have 2 remotes, and one, that was obviuosly used more(you can't read the buttons) does'nt work at all, new battery or not. The other one that I currently use, the previous owner said he rarely used, and you can read these buttons, no wear, works at best, OK. I can unlock the car from 20-30 feet away, wich I think by the owners manual, 30 feet is the max. When it comes to locking, I can't tell ya, because I lock upon exit. Now with the hatch release, I have to get very close to the car, practically push the button through the remote more than once to get it to work.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:33 PM

If you have already put in new batteries, taking them apart and cleaning them should help. It did for me.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by 88GTAChuck
Guys I had the same problem. At one point both remotes stopped working. What I tried was, I took the remotes apart and cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol. Put it back together, and everything works great now, just like factory. It’s worth trying.
I gotta tell ya 88GTAChuck, it worked perfect for me too. It even got my old worn out blank button remote working like new. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:55 PM

I'll have to buy some rubbing alcohol and try it later. I opened up the remote and nothing looked dirty, but maybe it's not the kind of dirt that you can see, like when you take apart a mouse and dust bunnies fall out.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by kimquigley
I'll have to buy some rubbing alcohol and try it later. I opened up the remote and nothing looked dirty, but maybe it's not the kind of dirt that you can see, like when you take apart a mouse and dust bunnies fall out.
Mine did'nt look all that dirty either, but I concetrated on the front part of the green transmitter where the buttons actually make contact, and my Q-Tip came away black. Hope it works for you too.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:59 PM

goto Install University

There is some stuff on the fobs (resetting them) and also how to fix the trunk release. =)
Old 01-15-2003, 12:43 AM

you can also use a pencil eraser on the metal contacts to clean them, using the rubbing alchohol usually won't clean it as well. The eraser is the old standard for electrians to use for cleaning contacts. It really makes them shine.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:08 PM

Cleaning with rubbing alcohol didn't work although the q-tips definitely came away dirty. I'll have to try the pencil eraser trick and see what happens.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2003, 06:22 PM

i had the same problem with mine...........i took my apart, cleaned both the circuitry side [green side].....and the rubber side very very thoroughly with just a t-shirt [no rubbing alcohol]......and it has been working perfectly now..........even works from very very far away.......like 50 -60 feet if i hold it up in the air..haha...............oh and the trunk button you have two press twice to open it, but i think thats how its suppose to work........the new 2002's come with the trunk button having the little picture with 2x under it.................so i think its suppose to be pressed two times for it to open..............anyways....just like the others said.........open it with a coin or something and clean it......that will work........and if it doesn't, sorry i cant help.

Scott