CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Just a little info for the LT1 guys :) (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/just-little-info-lt1-guys-607006/)

PortMasters 05-20-2008 09:29 PM

Just a little info for the LT1 guys :)

Port Masters is a company that specializes in cylinder head porting. Everyone who works here at the shop has been through the required technical school and has the minimum 5 years experience to become an employee here as well as an ASE certification in the Advanced Engine Performance test minimum (two master techs here). Although our specialty is cylinder heads, we also build race engines, have a full machine shop with over $150,000.00 in equipment, install facility for bolt on components, all the way up to building an all out turbo charged race car.

Our porting and install shop contains 4 different air-conditioned offices to keep a consistent temperature for engine building. We have a disassembly room for tearing down old engines and cylinder head cores, a clean room for assembly of engine lower end components only, a porting room with three vent dust traps, and a cylinder head assembly room. Our main shop in the install facility houses our flow bench, tools, corner office, air compressors, etc.. and of course my favorite, the refrigerator! Our machine shop is located less than ˝ a mile from the install facility and that helps out a lot!

Over the years, we have done cylinder heads for larger companies as outsource CNC program port designers and steered clear of mass public marketing for the reason of quality assurance. We didn’t want to take on the whole world with a relatively small staff, we prefer to keep our customers close and give the up most attention and quality assurance to individuals. That way, we know you buy name, not by customer number and the virtual barcode stamped on your hand. We love having close customer relationships and helping our customers in any way we possibly can. Now we are ready for the public to enjoy at great product at competitive prices while not overloading our staff, and still keep the close customer aspect.

Our LT1 cylinder heads are very highly respected when it comes to dyno numbers and track times, We had a CNC program that broke the 300cfm barrier using early casting LT1 heads with the factory valve seats still in place and a 2.00” Ferrea 6000 valve! Over time, we learned that not every head can handle that much port volume though and decided to cancel the program due to wildly variant core shift and not being able to take every head to that level due to water jackets, pushrod pinch, and core shift.

Today we use aftermarket castings with more material and prefer the hand porting method on every head we do for big cubic inch LT1/LT4’s. We still have a nice LT1 CNC program, but we prefer again the hand porting to optimize each head for a given application. We have over 20 different port methods and techniques for a single head to further optimize custom flow potential, meaning that if a customer calls and wants a super small port with 2.00”/1.56” valves and still create great flow numbers and support high rpm usage..that is 1 of 20 LT1 head styles we can produce. If you need an LT1 head to flow enough to make 430 rwhp with the stock bottom end..we have you covered there too.

Our favorite design we use alot, is a cam similar to a cc306 (with less of a split) matched with our “stage 2” LT1 heads. Our “stage 2” heads are different for every application, but in this instance we have come up with a repeatable package for people who want great power and torque, while being able to drive on the street with no problems. We have dubbed this package our street eliminator. Most cars that have this package produce 390-430 rwhp depending on the supporting mods used with the stock bottom end and a 6-speed. Our small cross-section in these heads enables greater torque production at a lower rpm with great top end horsepower as well. The port volume is typically 180-190 cc depending on the application and intended use of the car.

The last set of these we did for a customer ended up with a 184cc intake runner average.

Intake / Exhaust
.100 68.6 55.3
.200 140.7 117.4
.300 201.0 149.4
.400 242.9 174.7
.500 264.6 185.2
.550 270.1 189.8
.600 273.8 193.1
.625 274.1 194.6
.650 269.8 195.3
.700 267.8 196.9

This set up was geared towards a street strip type of car, the guy who owns the car (1994 6 speed z28) drives it every day to work and loves it! We keep in constant contact with our customers to show just how grateful we are to have our customers, become our friends. His car ended up with a final number of 431 RWHP and 404 RWTQ SAE.

Our engine building skills are great as well, we have many 383ci LT1 stroker cars running around our area that we have built (even a 408ci LT1). We are very passionate about our work and well….we have a small problem too….we are addicted to making horsepower! Keep checking up on our website as additional information is added to our product listings and customer cars section, we do all of the website stuff ourselves and between porting 10 hours a day and spending time with family and friends, it leaves little time to update our site…but we are trying our best and will be working double time to provide you with a more informative website. Another thing is I want to thank all of you for the opportunity to do what we love, and the skeptics out there are 100% ok by us also, because we are the new guys on the boards it is expected and time will show we are worth the investment

SS MPSTR 05-20-2008 10:01 PM

funny, Portmasters tastes like chicken when rammed down your throat. what is this - something like the third thread in this forum in a week? no offense, but you say you've done this for a while - let's see some tangible results of all this work instead of the verbose marketing blitzkrieg.

PortMasters 05-20-2008 10:22 PM

Gee,
How did I sense the first post to be a bash? Listen, we just want to give a little history about or place of business and assure people that they are in good hands. We have plenty of results and do great work, but I just don't understand what the hell your problem is exactly. It seems you cause sponsors problems on all of the boards your on, so i'm guessing it's some kind of personal issue with you? :confused:

WS6T3RROR 05-20-2008 10:36 PM

Show us some pictures of the shop, dyno charts, and customer cars, pictures of your work even. Videos of your engines running or customers at the track would be another great thing to do.

LT1 guys are stubborn, we have to be shown. Too many companies out there trying to get our money for stuff that doesnt put up the results, Edelbrock included.

I can tell you how fast a car is all day, OR I can show you.

PortMasters 05-20-2008 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR (Post 5382798)
Show us some pictures of the shop, dyno charts, and customer cars, pictures of your work even. Videos of your engines running or customers at the track would be another great thing to do.

LT1 guys are stubborn, we have to be shown. Too many companies out there trying to get our money for stuff that doesnt put up the results, Edelbrock included.

I can tell you how fast a car is all day, OR I can show you.

Thats very true,
Although I guess if I post more than three threads a week i'm an *******. I will post up some results, dyno graphs, whatever you guys want really, I am just taking it one post at a time because it obviously pisses some people off posting alot on here? :confused:

SS MPSTR 05-20-2008 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by PortMasters (Post 5382770)
Gee,
How did I sense the first post to be a bash? Listen, we just want to give a little history about or place of business and assure people that they are in good hands. We have plenty of results and do great work, but I just don't understand what the hell your problem is exactly. It seems you cause sponsors problems on all of the boards your on, so i'm guessing it's some kind of personal issue with you? :confused:

No personal issue at all, with any credible sponsor. I assume you're credible. And you don't need to understand "what the hell my problem is" when all I asked for were some results instead of re-posting the same stuff we can find on your site, or within the dozen other posts here and elswhere.

And causing problems for sponsors on all of the boards I'm on? C'mon. The only issue I've ever had with a 'sponsor' on another board is with someone who is banned from this site and elsewhere, so consider the source of your information carefully about things that are either mischaracterized or patently false. I'm sure you know and appreciate that sponsorship does not equate to credibility, and you shouldn't be threatened if someone asks for such back-up.

For the record, I'm actually very pleased that there is another player in the LT1 market - we all win with another good shop for good and services. I'm hoping to find more information on your site soon - it's coming along nicely.

SS MPSTR 05-20-2008 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by PortMasters (Post 5382806)
Thats very true,
Although I guess if I post more than three threads a week i'm an *******. I will post up some results, dyno graphs, whatever you guys want really, I am just taking it one post at a time because it obviously pisses some people off posting alot on here? :confused:

Not if you post results ;) Also, nobody called you anything.

TeamingTealZ28 05-20-2008 11:42 PM

PortMasters - Stock heads. On my 96 Z28, I want to get them ported, and all thread holes for the headers retapped. I want a id say like a stage 2 port. I am going with a GM847 or a CC306 cam. I want some heads that will open that cam up. Let me know what you can do for me.

Brent94Z 05-20-2008 11:45 PM

PortMasters said they would post some data like was asked so at least give them a chance to do so.

SS MPSTR, PortMasters is a supporting vendor here. Meaning, THEY are the ones who help keep this board up and running for all to use. If they wish to post a few times or so a week in the forum then that is hardly ramming anything down anybody's throat. Comments like that towards the vendors who pay to support the site really aren't needed. You don't have to buy anything from them or even like them but please respect their right to post information about their products. Chris/Jason might have an issue with outright spamming but I'd hardly call posting once a week (PortMasters last post was the 15th) or even three times a week as you mentioned, abuse. Thanks!

PortMasters, sorry to barge in but hopefully we'll get back on track :)

SS MPSTR 05-21-2008 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brent94Z (Post 5382912)
SS MPSTR, PortMasters is a supporting vendor here. Meaning, THEY are the ones who help keep this board up and running for all to use. If they wish to post a few times or so a week in the forum then that is hardly ramming anything down anybody's throat. Comments like that towards the vendors who pay to support the site really aren't needed. You don't have to buy anything from them or even like them but please respect their right to post information about their products. Chris/Jason might have an issue with outright spamming but I'd hardly call posting once a week (PortMasters last post was the 15th) or even three times a week as you mentioned, abuse. Thanks!

You wouldn't consider three threads a week, for non-technical advertising, abuse? Even for threads that aren't even technical in nature in the LT1 section? Uh, okay, although I regularly see these moved, and yes, I'd consider it spamming too - which is why I asked for more information to back up the experience posted repeatedly. Perhaps my comment was a bit harsh, and I apologized to Port Masters for the comment, but sponsor or not - you owe the board the opportunity to question the legitimacy of claims anyone makes. I was not attacking them, and in fact, have actually suggested that others check them out for pricing on work.

To me, the advertising would be more effective if there were actual results - now that would generate some interest!

Thank you!

slomarao 05-21-2008 10:16 AM

just lay off this guy

94zgreenmachine 05-21-2008 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR (Post 5383465)
......a bit harsh, and I apologized to Port Pro's for the comment, but......

If you suggest them to others, make sure you send the to Port Masters, not Port Pro's;)

LSWHO 05-21-2008 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR (Post 5383465)
You wouldn't consider three threads a week, for non-technical advertising, abuse? Even for threads that aren't even technical in nature in the LT1 section? Uh, okay, although I regularly see these moved, and yes, I'd consider it spamming too - which is why I asked for more information to back up the experience posted repeatedly. Perhaps my comment was a bit harsh, and I apologized to Port Pro's for the comment, but sponsor or not - you owe the board the opportunity to question the legitimacy of claims anyone makes. I was not attacking them, and in fact, have actually suggested that others check them out for pricing on work.

To me, the advertising would be more effective if there were actual results - now that would generate some interest!

Thank you!

I know I for one asked for the info he posted. Your posts are very obnoxious.

Z97LT1 05-21-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by PortMasters (Post 5382627)
the guy who owns the car (1994 6 speed z28) drives it every day to work and loves it! We keep in constant contact with our customers to show just how grateful we are to have our customers, become our friends. His car ended up with a final number of 431 RWHP and 404 RWTQ SAE.

Ok, I'd like to know more about this stock-bottom car. Video? Pics? Owner posts? Dyno sheets?

Seriously. Come up with that, and it'll go a LONG way toward your goods and services becoming a known quantity around here like a couple of other head porters already are.

jasonisdn 05-21-2008 10:37 AM

LSWHO
if you read SS's posts, they are just blunt. he doesn't "sugar coat" his questions. he also doesn't beat around the bush and ask questions trying to find out if the guy will contradict himself. like some memebrs will do, just to try and make someone look bad. if everyone in this world was the same , it would be boring as hell.