CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Just got bit by a cobra (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/just-got-bit-cobra-374704/)

donatelloSS 06-12-2005 11:46 PM

Just got bit by a cobra

I just got my *** handed to me by a 02 cobra. From a dead stop he ran me but it was more respectable, then racing on the move. Don't know if it was stock but it sure sounded good. I have a 96z with all the free mods, 3.73 gears (auto-mat), cut-out and k&n filt. what I want to know is it better to do more bolt-ons headers etc. and a lil juice, or should i just go all out and buy no2 with a bigger shot. My car also has 145,000 miles no leaks (knock on wood) so I Know rebuild is in the future. thanks :D

Mac54 06-12-2005 11:58 PM

Re: Just got bit by a cobra

Oh man sorry to hear about that! Its rough losin to a Ford.

HardtopSS 06-13-2005 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by donatelloSS
and a lil juice, or should i just go all out and buy no2 with a bigger shot.

I wouldn't reccomend any Nitrogen Dioxide, but N2O,nitrous oxide, works pretty good or so I hear. ;)

baddboy1705 06-13-2005 12:02 AM

ooooouch, yea you gotta watch out for those cars with the "worms" on the side...haha

Im not too sure Id put too big of a shot on N2O on my car with that kind of miles, no matter if it leaked or what... If your planning on doing a rebuild anyway, Id buy the bolt-on's (headers ect.) that way when your done with the rebuild, you can save yourself a little $$ and just reuse the stuff off of your stock LT... just a thought...

but it would be pretty funny if you did put a HUGE shot on your motor (300 shot) and it actually held up haha...

Jeremiah
-Baddboy1705@aol.com

MeanGreen97Z 06-13-2005 12:03 AM

@ 145k I personally would think big picture before i threw a bunch of cash at bolt ons. If you are looking to do a heads/cam package in the future get you some long tubes and a good cat back set up. Also look into cold air induction system and possibly a good computer tune. These should net you some real HP gains and SOTP feel. Im sure you can go Slo-bra hunting then.

donatelloSS 06-13-2005 12:16 AM

thats the problem, im trying to go fast on the cheap. I know a bigger cam will come with the rebuild, but the heads might be costly compared to rebuilt heads. Will the rebuild cam, ported heads and full bolt-ons do the trick. I can't stand losing especially to a ford that bad.

HardtopSS 06-13-2005 12:22 AM

Pending on what cam and heads and bottom end you go with. BTW they didn't make a 02 cobra 99, 01, 03. Ford couldn't hammer out the problems for 02 IIRC. My dad bought a 99 'vert Cobra, it had so many recalls, but sounded oh so good. If you really want to go Cobra hunting, nitrous is the way to go. But do it after the rebuild.

Black1995Z 06-13-2005 12:46 AM

Well, I have a stock motor and spray it like theres no tomorrow... hold up well. These LT1s take a beating really well.. I have 145,600 on the clock too! :)

Kurt Crosbie 06-13-2005 07:40 AM

To spank that cobra, all you need is an xe 224/230 cam, longtubes, cai, and roller rockers. Oh yea, and full exhaust. That will put you around 400 fwhp, which is what the cobras have. Keep in mind, they are supercharged. Don't feel bad. Imagine how bad you would spank him if you were supercharged..

Speaking of, I raced a mustang gt yesterday and absolutely spanked him. He pulls up to me afterwards and asks me what I have done. So I told him just a cam and roller rockers, which is the truth. So he replies with, "I'm going to get me a damn supercharger". so I say "Me too". and smile. I hate ford guys and their stupid superchargers. I find it hilarious though that my naturally aspirated second-generation lt1 with stock heads can put the smackdown on a new cobra any day of the week. (I've spanked quite a few of those as well)

UtOhCop 06-13-2005 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mac54
Oh man sorry to hear about that! Its rough losin to a Ford.

No it's not. Don't be an ass and have respect

Do headers and you should be fine.

80TA 06-13-2005 09:53 AM

While its true what was said above with cam and headers and bolt ons should be enough to handle a stock supercharged cobra or destroy a stock even new gt its also very easy to make way more power on those supercharged cobras with pulley change etc. Then it would take some good heads and likely spray or turbo or super on the lt1 to come close. Supers work and work well but personally prefer turbos. And nitrous works also and can be combined with turbos or spray for some really impressive results.

I say spray it now and if motor goes then rebuild. It might take a 125 to 150 shot for a long time.No harm in trying.

slverbullet 06-13-2005 11:36 AM

sure it wasnt an 03-04 cobra? those will definitely hand out some asswhuppins if you dont have a stout ride yourself. i would suggest saving your money for a rebuild. or you can spend the money on nitrous....and then get the rebuild after a couple good sprays. either way, the rebuild is coming if you want to drive it rough. the price you pay...

edit: btw, save for a good rebuild and you might still be able to hand out some of your own ass whuppins when the new shelby comes out (its gonna be a tough mug!!!)! return the favor!

Alvin@pcmforless.com 06-13-2005 11:38 AM

Unless the cobra has a blower or spray they are usually pretty easy to outrun. The cobra before the 03 has been a joke.

cas0484 06-13-2005 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by HardtopSS
I wouldn't reccomend any Nitrogen Dioxide, but N2O,nitrous oxide, works pretty good or so I hear. ;)

Lmao :D

Kevin_315 06-13-2005 12:23 PM

3.73 gears (auto-mat)

^ is that a auto? if yea that could be where u r lacking too, (since i take it you dont have a stall convert) manuals own.