CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   installing 1.6 rockers (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/installing-1-6-rockers-478297/)

z95lt1 10-13-2006 09:30 AM

installing 1.6 rockers

i have a set of gm 1.6 rr (lt4 rr) and i am thinking of installing them before i put in a cam, is there any tricks that you guys may be ableto tell me to make the job any easier. the rockers are new.

thanks
james

johnny3986 10-13-2006 10:42 AM

Re: installing 1.6 rockers

Hopefully you got the narrowbody ones. You are going to have to clearance your valve covers too.

How do you do that you say? Use the "search" feature and it will bring up a ton of ways.

Also, letting us know if they were self-aligning or non-self-aligning would be helpful.

MeanGreen97Z 10-13-2006 11:28 AM

The GMPP rockers are self aligning and have no need for guideplates although I do suggest some new LT4 valve springs and some comp cams hardened pushrods. The springs are around 35$ new and the pushrods are 40$. With new springs and 1.6 rockers you could see 15rwhp.... When installing the valve springs make sure the piston for that cylinder is at TDC. Get some new valve seals while you are at it. :) Get a chiltons manual... best 20$ I ever spent. It will tell you step by step how to take everything apart and put it back together. It even has pictures. I'm sure there are a few people here on the boards with a "how to" on the install. Good luck and remember dont guess at anything. If you have questions get on the board and ask or give me a call. PM me if you need my number.

z95lt1 10-14-2006 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen97Z
The GMPP rockers are self aligning and have no need for guideplates although I do suggest some new LT4 valve springs and some comp cams hardened pushrods. The springs are around 35$ new and the pushrods are 40$. With new springs and 1.6 rockers you could see 15rwhp.... When installing the valve springs make sure the piston for that cylinder is at TDC. Get some new valve seals while you are at it. :) Get a chiltons manual... best 20$ I ever spent. It will tell you step by step how to take everything apart and put it back together. It even has pictures. I'm sure there are a few people here on the boards with a "how to" on the install. Good luck and remember dont guess at anything. If you have questions get on the board and ask or give me a call. PM me if you need my number.

thank you, if i have question i will pm and will aks for sure.

thanks
james

lt11997 10-14-2006 12:17 PM

Courtesy of shoebox http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves I use the starter method.

pearlpurple 10-14-2006 12:17 PM

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...69TCJ6T35L4LG3

this will be one of the best puchases you should make for your vehicle!!

matLT1 10-14-2006 12:33 PM

Just installed mine last weekend along with some springs. Follow the directions on Shoebox's website and you won't have any troubles.

StephenDeli22 10-14-2006 12:37 PM

Not trying to hi-jack the thread here but I have a few questions reagarding new rocker arms. My motor has 163K on the clock, are new springs and rocker arms a threat to my cam bearings at all? On startup I have a tick under my passenger valve cover, not sure whether it is a lifter or a loose rocker.

sbs 10-15-2006 12:28 AM

...I do suggest some new LT4 valve springs...
He says he's planning a cam. Blindly installing LT4 springs rather than choosing springs appropriate for the cam would be a bad idea.

Severous01 10-15-2006 01:08 PM

check ebay for c4 vette valve covers....not carbon covers or lt4 covers. all the valve covers on all the c4 vettes were the same. they were clearanced for tall/wide rockers, made of carbon fiber, and they will fit the alternator in the factory location with no cutting/grinding. and they look great.

one thing though, they do let a lot more noise out by not absorbing it as much. so you may need to get a new knock module.

or you can cut out the plates that connect the top and bottom of the valve cover...on the inside. that's all you need to do to clear them for new rockers. once you take the covers off you'll know what i'm talking about.

MeanGreen97Z 10-15-2006 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by steve9899 (Post 4161080)
He says he's planning a cam. Blindly installing LT4 springs rather than choosing springs appropriate for the cam would be a bad idea.

Good point... my suggestion is merely a starting point with the new rockers. No need to put your stockers in bind. I'm sure they have a number of miles too. LT4 valve springs are a good idea for the time being. Upgrade your springs to match your cam when you do finally get it installed. 40$ is really nothing when you think about what kind of peace of mind they provide.

z95lt1 10-15-2006 05:47 PM

thanks everyone for the help.;)

sbs 10-15-2006 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Severous01 (Post 4161622)
one thing though, they do let a lot more noise out by not absorbing it as much. so you may need to get a new knock module.

Interesting, since the main reason given for the switch from metal to composite covers on the C4 was noise reduction...

And the amount of noise transmitted by the covers has absolutely nothing to do with the knock module.