CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Ignition fuse has blown 3 times!!! (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/ignition-fuse-has-blown-3-times-455616/)

mkent 06-12-2006 10:45 PM

Ignition fuse has blown 3 times!!!

I just installed the new MSD optispark. I can not say MSD is the problem because the ignition fuse blew the first and 2nd times my opti went bad (rotor fell off the first time, and oil invaded the optical sensor the 2nd time). Now with the MSD, I jsut blew 3 more fuses. I can drive the car just cruising apparently forever, but whenever I go WOT the fuse blows and I get to sit on the side of the road. This last time I took a brand new coil and brand new ICM with me in case it blew the fuse. I replaced both these things at the same time, retightened the battery terminals (positive was loose) and then I proceeded to burn the tires in a mad rage...once it shifted to 3rd the fuse blew again.
I can change fuses pretty quickly and they're not that expensive, but I'm afraid my ET will be in the upper 20's if I race this way...

Are they any electrical gurues here who can diagnose this one?

Loadre 06-12-2006 11:03 PM

Re: Ignition fuse has blown 3 times!!!

Do you have any accesories like a electric WP, fan switch, power to aftermarket gauges, etc hooked up on this fuse?

mkent 06-12-2006 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Loadre
Do you have any accesories like a electric WP, fan switch, power to aftermarket gauges, etc hooked up on this fuse?

No, sir. I have no accessories hooked up to any of my fuses.

I do however, have a short in my tail light. But that should be on the tail light fuse.

Sweetred95ta 06-13-2006 09:44 AM

I know it's not necessarily good, but have you tried using a slightly bigger fuse? Maybe 5 amps bigger. I'm not exactly sure of the consequences of using a bigger fuse though. I guess try it if all other solutions fail.

chevy1963 06-13-2006 12:21 PM

I have had this same proble for over a year now. I searched for months looking for any burnt wires that might be shorting out and nothing. If you look at the wiring schematics theres not much on that wire. Well last fall it just stopped poping the fuse, then all of a sudden it started again. I'm at lose now. I just carry a **** load of fuses now.

mkent 06-13-2006 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by chevy1963
I have had this same proble for over a year now. I searched for months looking for any burnt wires that might be shorting out and nothing. If you look at the wiring schematics theres not much on that wire. Well last fall it just stopped poping the fuse, then all of a sudden it started again. I'm at lose now. I just carry a **** load of fuses now.

lol I have a large package of fuses now in the car also.

Here's what I ended up doing and it has atleast temporarily stopped the popping of ignition fuse:
Cleaned both battery terminals and applied dielectric grease.
Applied dielectric grease to coil wire and pulled it away from coolant hose
Straitened up the ICM and Coil harnesses in case there was a kink.
(I think the fuses stopped burning after doing the above things)
Additionally I:
Replaced 10amp IGN fuse with 15amp.
Reflashed my PCM.
The car runs better than ever right now.
The dealership told me running a 15amp should not be a problem and even that using a 20amp in place of the 10 would probably be okay. I'm going to stick with the 15amp though.

Zeueses 97 RamAir 06-14-2006 06:00 AM

the wires on the passenger side by headears are burnt with the headers mine did the same thing, check for the wires that run along the sides of firewall..

Sweetred95ta 06-14-2006 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Zeueses 97 RamAir
the wires on the passenger side by headears are burnt with the headers mine did the same thing, check for the wires that run along the sides of firewall..

Mine popped an ignition fuse and I found the wires on the passanger side were burnt to the headers. But, there is nothing there that should blow an ignition fuse. Just the PCM ground and the 02 sensor wires. I didn't understand that. I replaced my opti and I haven't had it happen since, but I also moved the wires, so I can't say for sure if it was the opti or wires.

Zeueses 97 RamAir 06-15-2006 03:12 AM

Okay well there should be like 8 wires in that loom of wires look Ive been there so listen your car is pulling knock retard also mine would blow at wot yours maybe blowing because it all the way thru trust me wiggle the wires while the car is started and see if the car dies. You have to rewire those wires away from the headers, the reason its blowing becuase its grounding out. wrong there is more wires than that theres you knockretard wires and your pcm wires look it up there is 8 wires in that bundle trust me the dealer charged me 188 to rewire the wires just find someone thats good with electric wires, because if you keep on blowing that fuse you could damage the engine and even maybe catch the wires on fire.. Im trying to get a header install guide put up on web ffor all the people having knock problems and blowing fuse problems see the headers are so close to the abs line also correct you have to rewire or cover it up thats what i did... See people dont understand when you put on headers there the surrounding around it that suffer like plug wires and ect.... Now heres what you do you can either try covering the wires up with heat wrap or rewire them which should not be that hard....

Sweetred95ta 06-15-2006 10:46 AM

Man, Zeueses, that is hard to read. Maybe try using some punctuation. Good info though. Why wouldn't it pop the PCM power fuse? Why the ignition fuse?

Zeueses 97 RamAir 06-15-2006 11:16 AM

Sorry it was 4 a.m. was not really up to typing.:D Because its grounding out...

Sweetred95ta 06-15-2006 12:04 PM

What has to do with the ignition that runs down along the headers? That's the part I can't figure out.

Zeueses 97 RamAir 06-15-2006 12:11 PM

Look call me ill explain 972-824-0793 im tired dont feel like typing...:D

Sweetred95ta 06-15-2006 02:17 PM

Na, it's cool, I don't have a problem with it anymore. I only popped one fuse and that was over a year ago. I was just trying to understand why it blows the ignition fuse.

Injuneer 06-15-2006 02:23 PM

Did you ever check the CKP sensor wiring? I pointed out in another post that the "IGNITION" fuse feeds both the ICM and the CKP.