CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   how to run JUST the alternator with the tensioner belt? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/how-run-just-alternator-tensioner-belt-288753/)

reuter 08-04-2004 08:40 AM

how to run JUST the alternator with the tensioner belt?

hey guys, i recently purchased my a/c delete and threw it on the car. when i did, i changed the valve covers and in turn had to go with a smaller alternator. well i did some dyno testing on just how parasitic the remaining power steering pump and alternator were. i picked up 15rwhp by taking off the accessory belt. well, it is not feasible to ride around without the alternator hooked up. but im not interested in gutting the power steering just yet. what are my options? id think that i would blow the alternator up if i had a belt that just went from my crank to the ac delete to the tensioner and to the alternator. or would i?

Injuneer 08-04-2004 10:11 AM

Re: how to run JUST the alternator with the tensioner belt?

You relocate the alternator to below the engine, with a relocation bracket from SJS Manufacturing or Madman Racing. No idler... the bracket is slotted so you can tension the belt.

http://www.mycamaroz28.homestead.com/

Janny 08-04-2004 07:46 PM

Try a Turn One power steering pump. It pumps at a substantially reduced rate, thereby reducing drag.

WS Sick 08-05-2004 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Janny
Try a Turn One power steering pump. It pumps at a substantially reduced rate, thereby reducing drag.

Where do you get those things? I like my Power steering, but every little bit helps ya know.

Janny 08-05-2004 02:55 PM

Turn One, Inc.
989-562-0216
Ask for Jeff

WS Sick 08-05-2004 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Janny
Turn One, Inc.
989-562-0216
Ask for Jeff

Thanks, where are they located?

1982z28with18s 08-27-2004 03:47 AM

Ttt

Dave C. '97 Z28 08-27-2004 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by reuter
hey guys, i recently purchased my a/c delete and threw it on the car. when i did, i changed the valve covers and in turn had to go with a smaller alternator. well i did some dyno testing on just how parasitic the remaining power steering pump and alternator were. i picked up 15rwhp by taking off the accessory belt. well, it is not feasible to ride around without the alternator hooked up. but im not interested in gutting the power steering just yet. what are my options? id think that i would blow the alternator up if i had a belt that just went from my crank to the ac delete to the tensioner and to the alternator. or would i?

I'm not sure, but you could try just running an underdrive pulley. That would help reduce the parasitic loss. I wouldn't think that the PS pump (when not turning) or the A/C (when off) would cause too much power loss. The waterpump does, that's why putting an electric one on usually adds power.

-Dave C. '97 Z28

1badasZ 08-27-2004 04:55 PM

well is is safe to take the belt off all together at the track? :D

fesgali 08-27-2004 05:07 PM

I'd think u'd get about half way down the track if you don't stall out in the prep area. You can watch your charge drop :D The alt is a must if u wanna make it down the track.

simple 08-27-2004 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by fesgali
I'd think u'd get about half way down the track if you don't stall out in the prep area. You can watch your charge drop :D The alt is a must if u wanna make it down the track.

its common to yank the belt for the racers who want to squeeze every tenth out of their car at the track

if you have a strong battery and dont run your stereo, fan switch etc. you should be able to make a couple passes before the battery dies

fesgali 08-27-2004 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by simple
its common to yank the belt for the racers who want to squeeze every tenth out of their car at the track

if you have a strong battery and dont run your stereo, fan switch etc. you should be able to make a couple passes before the battery dies

interesting, didn't think a car could run that long with out belt on it

1racerdude 08-27-2004 09:57 PM

I have run 60 or so miles on the interstate at night with the charge light on,and the car cranked the next day after alt.was replaced.

chrism400 08-27-2004 10:09 PM

The car can actually run ok - electronics and all without the belt on? I have been wondering about that myself. I have a charger (portable) and I was thinking of taking the belt off at the track but was afraid with all of the computer stuff, injection, 3etc... that it would run crappy.

1racerdude 08-27-2004 10:14 PM

You need 14V+ to the electronics.That's why the pro's use a 16v battery with no alt.and charge between passes.