LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

4L60E shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 08:30 PM

4L60E shifting

Dudes with stock A4s. I have been told by other LT1 guys that their 4L60E chirps the tires on the shifts but it has never happened to me. Has it ever happened to you guys. Any help is appreciated. By the way it supposedly happens when they engage the perform button.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:32 PM

Sorry if I may have posted in the wrong forum. If I did someone please move it to the correct forum.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:39 PM

i know what you are talkin about. i have the perform trans. button and when i have had it on, i notice a huge difference in the shift firmness and it lets the rpm's go higher. but i have not had my tires chirp when it is shifting. my tires do grip pretty well though.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:44 PM

good gripping tires shouldn't prevent your tires from chirping... it should just prevent you from a spinout off the line, and loosing control on a shift.

my 4L60E doesn't have the perform button, but i can get my tires to chirp. it depends on the situation tho, it seems... either that or my tranny's mood. it does it when it wants to, but you have to go at it pretty hard to get it to let out a squeak.

i know a guy who put a transgo shift kit into his stock Z28 4L60E... his chirps going into third lol.

- jay
Old 05-01-2003, 08:46 PM

My car doesnt even chirp second and I have all the mods in my sig and a transgo shift kit. Im kinda getting worried, seeing that ive had the trans built twice so far. Might be my tires though I got some geforce KDW's and they stick pretty damn good. After my first rebuild the shift kit was installed and i think it was on the 2nd lowest shift firmness with some crappy tires my whole car would kick sideways at shifts, now I think after the 2nd rebuild the mechanic toned it down a bit and put it on the lowest setting. Anyone else think my car should be chirping second with my mods even with good tires? Havn't checked my plugs/wires in awhile and maybe that could be making me lose some power...not sure though. My trans still seems to shift pretty firm. Just seems like im missing some power lately.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:51 PM

My car chirps everytime it goes into second...I just say "oooppps she quifed" I wish it didn't "chirp" so that I wouldn't lose momentum!!
Old 05-01-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Jake77444
My car doesnt even chirp second and I have all the mods in my sig and a transgo shift kit. Im kinda getting worried, seeing that ive had the trans built twice so far. Might be my tires though I got some geforce KDW's and they stick pretty damn good. After my first rebuild the shift kit was installed and i think it was on the 2nd lowest shift firmness with some crappy tires my whole car would kick sideways at shifts, now I think after the 2nd rebuild the mechanic toned it down a bit and put it on the lowest setting. Anyone else think my car should be chirping second with my mods even with good tires? Havn't checked my plugs/wires in awhile and maybe that could be making me lose some power...not sure though. My trans still seems to shift pretty firm. Just seems like im missing some power lately.
it is the same with me. i think i should be chirping second with my perform trans button on. and i am just not doing it lately. i too havent checked my plugs/wires for a long time.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:53 PM

a transgo shift kit on a 4L60E should make your tires chirp unless you're running ET Streets.

i have a friend who has a stock Z28 4L60E... we're talking stock exhaust, no free mods... he had bought the shift kit for his old camaro, but wrecked it before he installed it... so he went ahead and put it into this one as soon as he got it... his **** chirps every damn shift. well, excluding 3rd to 4th. 1st to 2nd is sick... 2nd to 3rd is still hard and lets out a nice one.

you should be chirping pretty hard. kdw's aren't THAT great. if you had KD's i might say that was part of it, but even KD's, like NITTO's, should chirp.

- jay
Old 05-01-2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by illegalactivist
a transgo shift kit on a 4L60E should make your tires chirp unless you're running ET Streets.

i have a friend who has a stock Z28 4L60E... we're talking stock exhaust, no free mods... he had bought the shift kit for his old camaro, but wrecked it before he installed it... so he went ahead and put it into this one as soon as he got it... his **** chirps every damn shift. well, excluding 3rd to 4th. 1st to 2nd is sick... 2nd to 3rd is still hard and lets out a nice one.

you should be chirping pretty hard. kdw's aren't THAT great. if you had KD's i might say that was part of it, but even KD's, like NITTO's, should chirp.

- jay
yeah but now i need to figure out what the victem is? My tranny still shifts pretty firm so I dont believe its the actual tranny. Any ideas anyone?
Old 05-01-2003, 09:25 PM

maybe it is the 2.73 gears? i have them. my tires dont chirp that often when it shifts into 3rd, but from a stop i can light them up pretty good, just a thought?
Old 05-03-2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by 9TransAM4
maybe it is the 2.73 gears? i have them. my tires dont chirp that often when it shifts into 3rd, but from a stop i can light them up pretty good, just a thought?
I have 3.23s and my car use to throw it sideways with the shift kit on the 1-2 shift, now after about 8 months my tranny went out again and they rebuilt it. I got it back and it still shifts firm and no slippage but i cant even chirp on the 1-2 shift.