CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Help diagnosing SES light (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/help-diagnosing-ses-light-195933/)

ShelbyZ28 11-22-2003 03:28 PM

Help diagnosing SES light

I've had my cam in for almost 2 months now, about 800 miles or so and the car runs great. But lately the SES has come on several times. It only happens after about 10 minutes of highway driving and will stay on until I shut the car off. When I start the car back up its off. This is the only time it comes on. During the week I drive between class and my apartment, a 5-10 minute drive, and it never comes on. But on the weekends when I go to my parents, a 20 minute drive, it comes on after 10 min or so. Obviously it has something to do with the car warming up to operating temperature while driving but I'm clueless to what it could be. The car still runs and idles fine. Should I be worried since the car runs fine? I need to get it scanned but I thought I would ask on here first to get opinions.

Bryan

ead94z28 11-22-2003 04:15 PM

If it's running good I would't worry about it. Get it scanned at your leisure and then go from there.:)

mike95z28 11-22-2003 04:51 PM

Get the car scanned. No point in speculating about what may be wrong.

Lt1t56 11-23-2003 01:00 AM

Definately get it scanned for codes. My car was doing the same thing, short drives or in town drives no engine light, if I get on the highway going steady speed for over 10 miles light would come on and not go off until shut car off , also cooling fans would come on at same time engine light was on. In my case it was the EGR valve.

ShelbyZ28 11-23-2003 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Lt1t56
Definately get it scanned for codes. My car was doing the same thing, short drives or in town drives no engine light, if I get on the highway going steady speed for over 10 miles light would come on and not go off until shut car off , also cooling fans would come on at same time engine light was on. In my case it was the EGR valve.
Sounds exactly like my situation. I can sit in traffic for 20 minutes and it won't come on. Highway or steady speeds cause it to come on. But I did
!EGR when I put on my Hooker LTs. Hmm, guess I need to get it checked soon. Thanks guys.

Bryan

shoebox 11-23-2003 12:59 PM

Originally posted by ShelbyZ28
Sounds exactly like my situation. I can sit in traffic for 20 minutes and it won't come on. Highway or steady speeds cause it to come on. But I did
!EGR when I put on my Hooker LTs. Hmm, guess I need to get it checked soon. Thanks guys.

Bryan

If you did not have the EGR programmed out of the pcm, then yeah, you will get an EGR code.

ShelbyZ28 11-23-2003 01:00 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
If you did not have the EGR programmed out of the pcm, then yeah, you will get an EGR code.
Its programmed out