CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Guide Plates and Crane gold SA rockers? Possible? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/guide-plates-crane-gold-sa-rockers-possible-217055/)

CoUnTryMuZiCZ28 01-25-2004 12:05 PM

Guide Plates and Crane gold SA rockers? Possible?

I have a set of crane Self aligning rockers... I want to know if I can put guide plates and hardened pushrods on with these rockers.. I will be running a CC306 cam with Comp High Energy Lifters, ported and milled heads, Hardened push rods(stock Length), and Crane Gold 1.6 SA rockers.. I dont want anything to happend (like bust a rocker or something) and I want to rev as high as possible since I have seen Peoples times drop from 12.3 to 11.9 just from adjusting the revlimiter and shifting at 6900 instead of 6500.. Also What kind of retainers would be good to use with SA rockers?? Any with maybe a notch in them to help hold the SA rockers in place???:confused: :confused:

fastcamz28 01-25-2004 01:23 PM

With self-aligning rockers, you do NOT need (or want) guideplates. They are for nonself-aligning rockers. Hardened push rods should be fine. I would suggest a search as your question is a good one that has been discussed several time. If you're going w/ a CC306 and doing any head work (which you are), you may want to investigate nonself-aligning rockers w/ 7/16th studs, (I realize you already have the self-aligning ones and I suspect they are 3/8th studs), dual springs, etc. Your head guy should be useful in advising you about the best power/$$$ package. The CC retainers should be fine. Go w/ titantium if you have the $$$; no harm there.
Lloyd E. is doing my heads w/ Pro mag nonself-aligning rockers, 7/16th studs, GM guideplates, CC dual springs, Comp R lifters, etc. and we'll be installing a CC306. His advice was firm on this package for strength, durability and power.
Hope this helps!

marshall93z 01-25-2004 11:14 PM

what would it hurt?

FacelessZ 01-25-2004 11:24 PM

That wouldnt be too smart. Guide plates are for NSA rockers, not SELF ALIGNING (not needing guide plates) rockers

and yes this will hurt your valvetrain...

why do u want to do it?

Aaronh 01-25-2004 11:25 PM

Here again, I demonstrate my ignorance... Do non-SA's need to be adjusted periodically. I am installing the cc306 as well and thunder racing recomended non-SA's. I've never had non-SA and don't really know what it entails.

Aaron

shoebox 01-26-2004 08:52 AM

Originally posted by Aaronh
Here again, I demonstrate my ignorance... Do non-SA's need to be adjusted periodically. I am installing the cc306 as well and thunder racing recomended non-SA's. I've never had non-SA and don't really know what it entails.

Aaron

SA or NSA has nothing to do with the adjustment. They all need adjusting from time to time.