LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 PM

Header Help

hey guys, im helping my friend install his hooker long tubes on his camaro, its a 95.anway I didnt install my headers, so im not an expert with em, obviously lol,, anyway we have a couple problems
1- the steering arm is right smack in the way of the drivers side header going in, wtf and how can I get it in?
2- I was taking out the passenger side, and I hear 'oh **** the bolt", my friend cracked the head off the bolt in the second hole in on the drivers side header!, should we just throw some rtv and bolt it up?? hes got felpro 1406s, I dont think hell spend any money and he says he need the car this weekend for a vacation to maryland. are there any at home garage tool ways to get it out? or just bolt the rest in.
3-how the hell do you get that oil dipstick out, I took out that little bolt holding the bracket but it looks like its attached at the block but I cant see how

if you guys could help us out I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

thank you so much,
Chris
Old 08-23-2006, 01:53 PM

Re: Header Help

also, should the passenger side go in from the top? does the oil fill tube on the valve cove come off to fit it in?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:33 PM

1 - The steering arm comes out by removing the 2 11mm bolts on each end.

2 - Remove the manifold/header, and spray the broken bolt down with penetrating oil. Wait a few hours and try to get it out with a pair of vice grips. If that doesn't work, an easy out should take it out. I don't think filling around it with RTV will seal it up.

3 - The oil dipstick tube is only held in by the one bolt. After it's removed, the tube comes out by rotating it back and forth and pulling at the same time. Sometimes it helps to stick a big screwdriver up from the bottom and pry the bracket/tab away from the block to get it spinning.

The pas side will most likey need to go in from the bottom, unless you can lift the motor up for clearance.

good luck, and have lots of patience or you'll end up breaking more stuff

Thomas.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:56 PM

I was able to get the passenger side long tube in through the top, but I had to remove the valve cover to do so. Otherwise, you will most likely have to loosen the motor mount and jack up the motor a few inches to provide enough clearance to snake it in there.