LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What is it? and do i need it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 04:46 AM

What is it? and do i need it?

just a newbie type question. plus i forget the name of the actual part so ill sound stupid. it the metal "pan" inside the oil pan that prevents oil from dripping to the bottom of the oil pan so fast.

i've got the motor out and oil pan is off getting as new opti installed, HV oil pump, and was wondering if i should go ahead and get one from jegs/summit before i put the pan back on?

thanks in advance!

Brandon
Old 02-05-2003, 05:03 AM

a windage tray. or crank scraper, not sure which one your talking about but yeah keep'em both
Old 02-05-2003, 08:08 AM

Your stock engine has a windage tray. Put it back on when you reassemble the engine. No need to buy any other one.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:31 AM

yeah thats is a windage tray. i have heard of some people when modding motors go ahead and put a new bigger one on. is it something that helps lubing a little better? anything different about the ones in jegs/summit from the stocker other than being all shiny and new? ive seen one that hugs from side to side of the block, the stocker isnt that big, maybe 6"x12"

thanks

Brandon
Old 02-05-2003, 01:03 PM

all a windage tray does is prevent oil from spashing up and hitting the crankshaft, possibly robbing some HP. A crank scraper removes all but a thin layer of oil from the crankshaft, preventing it from having to use more energy slinging all the oil around.

Both together have been shown to be worth 5 hp or so on a mild engine.