CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   front springs and shocks, do it myself or $100?? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/front-springs-shocks-do-myself-%24100-227956/)

Hawk 02-22-2004 08:06 AM

front springs and shocks, do it myself or $100??

I ordered the thunderracing lowering kit, comes with the pro kit, adjpanhard, and relocation brackets. I also got 4 new takeoff shocks while I'm there. Anyway, I did the rear yesterday, did the rear springs, the rear shocks, and the panhard rod. I'm going to have someone do the relocation brackets because I can't weld.

As far as the front springs and shocks, I shop quoted me $100 for that. Now, I hear about this "nightmare" install on these, should I tackle this myself or have the shop do it for $100. Anyone with experience on the install??? FYI, I don't have a spring compressor, just basic tools. Thanks.

Brian

KGRESOCK 02-22-2004 08:20 AM

It's not that bad of a job....
On the other hand you don't have a spring
compressor and 100.00 is a great deal.

Good luck

CheshireCat 02-22-2004 08:22 AM

I've been looking at the same situation. You can borrow/rent a spring compressor from many auto parts stores, but given that I've never used one, I think I'm going to pay to have someone else do the install... Just my $.02...

shoebox 02-22-2004 08:32 AM

You could also go another route if you wanted to do some of the work and lessen the cost a little. It is not that hard to remove the spring/shock assy on the front. After removed, you can take them to a shop and have the parts swapped. Won't cost as much (should be less than half of that $100 bill) and you still don't have to buy/rent a spring compressor.

carlos64030 02-22-2004 10:44 AM

I say do it yourself. The job is not hard to do at all. It took me about 4 hours to do both sides, and I paid a shop $10. to put the springs on the shocks for me.

Hawk 02-22-2004 11:26 AM

thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards having the shop do it cuz I need a break and they can do my lower control arm brackets at the same time.

I hear you guys about getting the assembly out(I can do that) but I'm just not to enthusiastic about using a spring compressor for the first time because I know if something goes wrong it can be bad. And if I have to bring that in, eh, I'll just bring the whole car in I'm lazy. :)

Brian

raxxus 02-22-2004 12:23 PM

hmm

It's all about the satisfaction of doing it yourself IMO. I don't want anyone else touching my car.

96SSM6 02-22-2004 11:27 PM

I agree with the DIY. Ive done two 4th gens and two 3rds so far. The 4ths are way easier. Just get the assem. out, put the two compressers on and crank with a ratchet, take off the bolt at the top and pull out the shock.Then reverse for the install.

LT1 Bunny 02-23-2004 12:03 AM

Its really not hard at all...i just tried to do it in mine about 4 hours ago...went great untill i tried to take the nut offa the top...needless to say im buying new parts hopefully. Spring compressors are seriously easily, but you might want to watch some one else do it before you do.

carlos64030 02-23-2004 01:42 AM

Re: hmm

Originally posted by raxxus
It's all about the satisfaction of doing it yourself IMO. I don't want anyone else touching my car.
:metal: